PDA

View Full Version : depth finder does not work less than 8 feet

jmmcalpin
08-08-2007, 10:20 PM
I have a 2004 xstar with a factory installed depth finder. It worked for 2 years and now it only works when the water is greater than 8 feet, anything less than that and the it just blinks. I think it is a thru hull transducer, I can see the transducer installed on the side of the engine. Any ideas?

Leroy
08-08-2007, 10:44 PM
The transducer should be mounted on the bottom on the hull. I have never heard of it being mounted on the engine?

dmayer84
08-08-2007, 10:46 PM
I am guessing that he means that it is mounted on the hull next to the engine, not on the engine itself

jmmcalpin
08-26-2007, 12:48 PM
correct, I mean it is mounted on the bottom of the boat next to the engine. I ordered a new transponder and just picked it up from the dealer, they gave me a PD WSU from LEI and it looks like it "shoots thru the hull" in other word it cements to the hull but the trasnponder does not physically go thru a hole in the hull. Does that sound right? I was expecting a transponder that you would mount from the outside thru a hole in the hull? It is for an Xstar , 2004, MCX... I am going to go out and look at the boat today but if anyone knows I would appreciate any help.

Leroy
08-26-2007, 01:50 PM
They just glue to the bottom of the hull on the inside and shoot through the hull. He should have sold you some glue also for this project.

jmmcalpin
08-26-2007, 07:11 PM
yup I went to the boat and you are correct. Should I chip out the old one or just put the new one an inch behind the old one? in other words should it go in the exact old spot? Second what type of glue should I use, they did not give me any... thanks

boofer
08-27-2007, 01:30 AM
I was told by a reputable source (service tech) that you could just use a hammer to knock the transducer off. I am not sure if I would do it. I think I would try using something like a scraper and knock it between the transducer and the hull to pop it off.

I am not totally familiar with that boat. I would tend to want to put a new transducer in the same spot. Otherwise, you risk putting it somewhere where it might not work at all.

As far as the epoxy goes, the dealer should have some Lowrance epoxy made for this application. This is what they gave me to attach mine.

Do a search for transducer/depth finder installations to get the nit and gritty of installing the transducer. There are some important things to do. Clean the area with acetate. No air bubbles allowed between the transducer and the hull.

jmmcalpin
09-01-2007, 10:55 AM
Hey Boofer, thanks for the advice. I will call the dealer and get the epoxy.. I will try the hammer technique but not sure how aggressively I want to be hammering something epoxied to the hull.. Can you imagine if I damage the hull. Clean it with acetate is a good idea. So I will try and put it in the same spot but I cannot imagine an inch or two would make a difference. Thanks...

TMCNo1
09-01-2007, 10:58 AM
I was told by a reputable source (service tech) that you could just use a hammer to knock the transducer off. I am not sure if I would do it. I think I would try using something like a scraper and knock it between the transducer and the hull to pop it off.

I am not totally familiar with that boat. I would tend to want to put a new transducer in the same spot. Otherwise, you risk putting it somewhere where it might not work at all.

As far as the epoxy goes, the dealer should have some Lowrance epoxy made for this application. This is what they gave me to attach mine.

Do a search for transducer/depth finder installations to get the nit and gritty of installing the transducer. There are some important things to do. Clean the area with acetate. No air bubbles allowed between the transducer and the hull.
Acetone, then a little coarse sandpaper to rough up the area, then more Acetone just for the giggles of it.

jmmcalpin
09-07-2007, 05:59 PM
ok , one other hint,,, I followed all the instructions, sandpaper , acetone, worked like a charm, snaked the wire.. that was difficult... and guess what.. they sold me the wrong transducer.. it has a different connector and will not hook up to the mastercraft depth finder... so I have to go get another one to install.. Problem is I did not take out the old one.. I just put this one in on the same position on the opposite side of the boat.. So now I have to take one or both of them out... Has anyone removed a transducer that is epoxied to the hull? How do you ensure it breaks at the epoxy line and not damage the hull??? HELP..

NeilM
09-10-2007, 04:19 PM
A sharp rap with a mallet should remove the transducer - the original one, anyway...

Location is not super critical - just stay away from strakes, and not behind intakes - anything that can cause non-laminar flow.