PDA

View Full Version : transmission trouble

ant996
08-07-2007, 04:33 AM
got a 93 prostar with a borg warner 1:1 velvet drive tranny.
having trouble engaging forward? goes into reverse ok, but when you put in forward it revs then clunks into forward?
any ideas?
the friction plates seems to be ok when engaged?

ant

milkmania
08-07-2007, 04:52 AM
got a 93 prostar with a borg warner 1:1 velvet drive tranny.
having trouble engaging forward? goes into reverse ok, but when you put in forward it revs then clunks into forward?
any ideas?
the friction plates seems to be ok when engaged?

ant

the reving and clunking make me think it's an adjustment in the throttle at the driver's seat.

we'll hear more ideas after daylight;)

wesgardner
08-07-2007, 09:53 AM
ant,

Try disconnecting the shift linkage at the transmission and engage/disengage by hand...this'll tell you if it's an adjustment issue (you hope) vs. a transmission issue (you're hoping not) If it's an adjustment issue, remember it's only a turn or so that can make a difference...

ant996
08-07-2007, 02:56 PM
I disconnected the cable from the tranny and operated by hand, still no engaging, but will with a slow rev???

trickskier
08-07-2007, 03:09 PM
I had this same type of problem with my 82 MasterCraft.............It turned out to be an o-ring that was worn allowing the transmission fluid to leak by..........By raising the engine rpm's it increases the pump pressure to finally engage the transmission, and you get a big BANG as it goes into gear...........Good news is the parts (were cheap..........20 years ago) Bad news is the transmission has to be pulled and taken apart. If you're machanically inclined you should be able to do it yourself..........You'll need a torque wrench to put it back together..........While I had mine apart I went ahead and replaced the pressure plates and discs............It wasn't that much more expensive........Good Luck!!!

ant996
08-07-2007, 03:42 PM
Thanks for the message.
No problem with doing the work, just need to find the fault.

Ant

ant996
08-26-2007, 04:07 AM
all sorted now.............ding dong!!!!!!!!!!!!

88 PS190
08-26-2007, 05:57 AM
I had some issues with mine this summer, mainly when i drive I slip into gear and wait for the trans to engage before throttling, my lil bro and family tend to go right to throttle, so they experienced some slip, I flushed my trans fluid a few times and have no more issues.

André
08-26-2007, 08:47 AM
all sorted now.............ding dong!!!!!!!!!!!!
It would be nice to know what was the problem...:)