PDA

View Full Version : Hour gauge on a new motor

Friday
08-07-2007, 01:27 AM
I just finished rebuilding my 351 this last weekend on my 83 S+S. Had it on the local lake on Saturday for a tuning session and to see what it had. I replaced the hour guage with a new one since its a new motor. The local marina recommended that I upgrade to a ignition key with an accessory position so the hours don't rack up when I leave the key on to listen to the radio. What do ya think? is it worth the hassle.

I'm super excited about the engine, turned out the old 351 had a cracked block. I updated to a late model 351 to run a roller cam, used edelbrock RPM aluminum heads with crane roller rockers, Hypereuretic Pistons, and Kodiak Marine 4" Headers. Blue Oval Performance helped with all the machine work and balancing here in Denver. I can't say enough for how good they treated a first time engine builder. They said I should be at about 330 hp with a max of 5000 RPM. I haven't finished with the break in yet to run at wot, but it has a mean hole shot. I have a bet to see if I can break 50 mph.:D

onewheat
08-07-2007, 01:39 AM
If you went through the hassle of rebuilding an engine and installing a new hour meter, how much hassle is it really, to install a new ignition key? I personally, like the fact that the new ones don't rack time unless it is over 300 rpms, no matter what position the key is in.

TMCNo1
08-07-2007, 12:40 PM
If you went through the hassle of rebuilding an engine and installing a new hour meter, how much hassle is it really, to install a new ignition key? I personally, like the fact that the new ones don't rack time unless it is over 300 rpms, no matter what position the key is in.

A ignition switch is a ignition switch and the computer on the new ones does all the hour meter thinking, not the switch.

ski_king
08-07-2007, 12:56 PM
Why not wire the radio to a always hot wire like the blower, nav light, bilge pump are, then the ignition switch will not be a issue.

onewheat
08-07-2007, 11:30 PM
A ignition switch is a ignition switch and the computer on the new ones does all the hour meter thinking, not the switch.

I do understand that point. :rolleyes: I was just stating that I liked the fact that my hour meter doesn't roll unless the engine was running, no matter where the key was - AND - if it were my boat, I would wire the new mechanical hour meter in some fashion (be it an ACC position or whatever) to not rack hours while I just crank some tunes with the engine off.

I guess I'll type slower next time. :D