PDA

View Full Version : Southwest Chicago Burbs (where can I go???)

YooperScott
08-06-2007, 10:39 PM
I just got a 1995 LT-1 Prostar 190 on Sunday (yes yes i'll post pictures). It will be at my house for a least a few weeks in Plainfield until it makes quite possibly it's only trip to my family's camp in the U.P. where it will then most likely just stay. In the meantime this weekend I would love to throw it in a lake somewhere nearby. Where can I go and not run a risk of hurting something? I seached and see possibly the Fox River in St Charles or the Illinois River somewhere? Any recommendations on where to put in and be able to run around without too much worry of rocks, stumps, ground, whatever? I am used to our lake at camp where I know every square inch and am a little nervous going somewhere unknown but hopefully there is somewhere not too far to go burn a little gas to tide me over.

Thanks,
Scott

Maristar210
08-06-2007, 10:59 PM
I just got a 1995 LT-1 Prostar 190 on Sunday (yes yes i'll post pictures). It will be at my house for a least a few weeks in Plainfield until it makes quite possibly it's only trip to my family's camp in the U.P. where it will then most likely just stay. In the meantime this weekend I would love to throw it in a lake somewhere nearby. Where can I go and not run a risk of hurting something? I seached and see possibly the Fox River in St Charles or the Illinois River somewhere? Any recommendations on where to put in and be able to run around without too much worry of rocks, stumps, ground, whatever? I am used to our lake at camp where I know every square inch and am a little nervous going somewhere unknown but hopefully there is somewhere not too far to go burn a little gas to tide me over.

Thanks,
Scott

PM Eric at Chicago MC. THey are on the Fox River often. You have to know where to go on there as I understand it so be carefull...

Steve

Prostar Rich
08-07-2007, 03:51 PM
Scott,

I have no experience on the fox or IL river. If you are new to boating you probably should go to a lake instead of a river. There are several nice lakes in southern WI. There is powers lake, lauderdale lakes and lake geneva to name a few. Keep in mind that it will be crowded during the weekend. If you go during the weekend I would not recommend lake geneva.

Prostar Rich

PaulW
08-07-2007, 04:05 PM
We boat on the lower fox river in Cary, If you come up this way I can show you the river. I have been on the river for 4 years and am out a couple of times per week. Let me know if you would like to come up.
Paul

Rockman
08-07-2007, 06:53 PM

Thanks,
Scott

Hey neighbor, PM at ya...

samasm
08-08-2007, 05:15 PM
The Illinois River is a safe place to run. The launch in Morris is a bit busy at times and is in a pretty strong current at times, especially with the rain. The launch in Marseilles is much better and not as busy. The Fox River in St. Charles is relatively limited in how far you can run and gets pretty shallow at times - I wouldn't recommend it unless you are familiar with it. I keep my X-30 on a lift across from the launch in Marseilles. Ran my 94 190 for 13 years there on the original prop until I sold it about a month ago - to people a few cabins down from mine. It's pretty clear of debris floating on the Illinois River, especially as close to the locks and dam in Marseilles - but you still have be aware of floaters. Congrats on the new ride.

Workin' 4 Toys
08-08-2007, 10:51 PM
The Illinois River is a safe place to run. The launch in Morris is a bit busy at times and is in a pretty strong current at times, especially with the rain. The launch in Marseilles is much better and not as busy.
Agreed..........

swatguy
08-08-2007, 11:09 PM
Illinois River in Morris and Marseills gets my vote as well. Where i ride a majority of the time during the week and on ocassional weekends in the early am or late evenings. If you are not at the Morris ramp before 10am or after 5pm forget it. It's a madhouse with wally's everywhere. I always love skiers as their sets are shorter and their wakes are smaller :). Welcome aboard :)

The river in both of those spots is marked and their isn't much floating around although with the rain monsoons here in the past week, sure the current is moving and their is some stuff. You won't have to worry about running a ground, just a floating log or 2 due to the large amounts of rain. Otherwise really the onlything you're dodging around there are the barges. One day they seem to come non-stop and another you won't see one for hrs. Ever see a red 2000 X-star give a shout. :)

The Fox I would def ride with someone who knows the river the first couple of times. It's been known to snatch props.

YooperScott
08-09-2007, 09:41 AM
Thanks guys I guess we will try the Illinois River this weekend if the boss allows. :)

Scott