PDA

View Full Version : Driving with or without the cover?

Mike
08-06-2007, 09:54 PM
I have trailered my 1990 Maristar 210 thousands of miles without a cover and last summer I upgraded to a 2002 Maristar 230 with factory tower. Twice the center rear seat cushion has flown out of the back of the boat as I was driving. (yes the snap was fastened before we started to travel)
This last time driving on Vasco Road and only going about 50 MPH but with some gusty winds. I saw the seat lift up in my mirror so I slowed to about 40 looking for a place to pull over and we came around a corner and another gust took it right over the back of the boat into traffic. I pulled over and ran back and picked it up before anyone could run into it. Placed it back in the boat and made sure the snap was fastened and took off again. No more than a mile down the road we started an uphill grade through a little canyon and again the wind picked up and lifted the seat cushion and blew it right out of the boat again. I pulled over at the next clearing and started walking back to pick it up. About half way there a gust of wind picked it up off of the road and started making it tumble down the highway away from me. I finally picked it up about a 1/4 mile from the truck and started back clutching the cushion under my arm so the wind wouldn’t blow it away again. We ended up putting all of the cushions in the truck so it wouldn’t happen a third time.
So, what do you guys do? I can't imagine trailering again without doing something else. Even if it means driving with the cover.

Maristar210
08-06-2007, 11:06 PM
I have trailered my 1990 Maristar 210 thousands of miles without a cover and last summer I upgraded to a 2002 Maristar 230 with factory tower. Twice the center rear seat cushion has flown out of the back of the boat as I was driving. (yes the snap was fastened before we started to travel)
This last time driving on Vasco Road and only going about 50 MPH but with some gusty winds. I saw the seat lift up in my mirror so I slowed to about 40 looking for a place to pull over and we came around a corner and another gust took it right over the back of the boat into traffic. I pulled over and ran back and picked it up before anyone could run into it. Placed it back in the boat and made sure the snap was fastened and took off again. No more than a mile down the road we started an uphill grade through a little canyon and again the wind picked up and lifted the seat cushion and blew it right out of the boat again. I pulled over at the next clearing and started walking back to pick it up. About half way there a gust of wind picked it up off of the road and started making it tumble down the highway away from me. I finally picked it up about a 1/4 mile from the truck and started back clutching the cushion under my arm so the wind wouldn’t blow it away again. We ended up putting all of the cushions in the truck so it wouldn’t happen a third time.
So, what do you guys do? I can't imagine trailering again without doing something else. Even if it means driving with the cover.

I too feel your pain. I now remove all the cushions from the boat and put them inside the truck. I have chased a cushion I wanted to rescue out onto the freeway in an effort to not have it destroyed. Not cool from a safety standpoint thus the elimination of the cushions in the boat. NFW I'm doing that again, ever....

dpolen
08-06-2007, 11:09 PM
How about a snap-on cover, those are generally pretty trailer-friendly? I have tried trailering mine (not a snap-on) and will never use that cover again as it ended up scratching the heck out of my boat when it came a little loose. Hope this helps, sorry about your bad luck with the seat blowing out...I have a pretty similar boat, have never had any issues with my seats blowing out even at 70+ mph on the highway.

WTRSK1R
08-06-2007, 11:16 PM
When I had my '92 205 the dealer told me to never trailer it with the back seat cusions (there were 3) installed. He said there were many reports of them blowing out of the boat. I never once drove to the lake with them in. On the flip side, I did forget to put them in the truck once and all there was to sit on was the styrofoam wedge back seat.

My 197 does not seem to have this issue. Even without the snap cord attached it would be nearly impossible for that to blow out.

Leroy
08-06-2007, 11:23 PM
I guess I've been lucky, but never had it happen and I rarely have the snap closed. That is a heavy cushion, unless they lightened it after 2001.

I would just take it out and put it in the storage beside the engine.

79stars&stripes
08-06-2007, 11:26 PM
it would be an expensive day if you end up ripping a cover, however it would also be expensive if you end up loosing a seat. I think that putting the seat cushins in the truck and trailering without a cover is your safest bet.

bdecker
08-07-2007, 10:09 PM
I tend not to drive with the cover on the boat, but I do drive with the bimini folded. Apparently the boot cover decided to leave at about 70 MPH on my way home from the pond tonight. Luckily it appears the bimini itself was not harmed, but I guess I'll be looking for a new bimini boot cover. Definitely check this thing often if you trailer with it, as mine even had straps on the side and still broke lost. The bimini made an awful racket until I could pull over, but it appears unharmed... Anyone know where to get one of those covers?

dmayer84
08-07-2007, 10:15 PM
When I trailer my boat I put my wakeboard in front of these cushions so that the board pushes the air up and over the seats, or at least I would like to think so. Havent had a seat fly out yet.

jcbatt
08-07-2007, 11:59 PM
I had a Rankin towing cover made for my boat (http://www.rankincovers.com/) and it works great. Besides the benefit of keeping the boat and gear from blowing around, I also found that I get about 10-20% better gas mileage when towing with the cover on. For 1/2 hour trips, I usually leave it uncovered, but for anything longer, I generally use the cover.

bbeach
08-08-2007, 02:47 PM
I tow with my factory cover, however its been reinforced in the rub areas to handle trailering. I also twist the straps so they don't flap around and wear on the hull... I've seen people use tennis balls to keep the straps off the hull if needs be.

TMCNo1
08-10-2007, 11:03 PM
I tow with my factory cover, however its been reinforced in the rub areas to handle trailering. I also twist the straps so they don't flap around and wear on the hull... I've seen people use tennis balls to keep the straps off the hull if needs be.
Use a bungee cord between 2 of the straps and it creates enough tension that the straps won't flap unless they come completely undone. This thread shows the tennis balls, but not the bungee,
http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=18158

06' X-2 R8R H8R
08-10-2007, 11:25 PM
I have towed down that same road on numerous occasions and never had that problem but couldnt imagine the thought of getting out chasing your seat down the road. Anyhow like someone else said if I was you I would take them out to tow or get a screw gun. I tried towing once with the cover on (the new nicely fitting one) but got some minor scratching. Industrial velcro might be the way to go as well.

shepherd
08-11-2007, 12:42 AM
------------

Flowcontrol
08-13-2007, 08:07 PM
I had a Rankin towing cover made for my boat (http://www.rankincovers.com/) and it works great. Besides the benefit of keeping the boat and gear from blowing around, I also found that I get about 10-20% better gas mileage when towing with the cover on. For 1/2 hour trips, I usually leave it uncovered, but for anything longer, I generally use the cover.

I have also gone with the Rankin cover. We have just towed across the Cascade Mountain range here in the NW this last weekend. Some four and a half hours. The cover has left some small rub marks just under the rub rail near the bow. With just a little swirl remover and some elbow grease, no sign of the experience remain.

Sure hope this helps with your next cover decision.

Mike
08-27-2007, 10:06 PM
I have decided to attach 2” wide Velcro straps that hang down about 3”on the fiberglass interior panel. I will fasten the strap to the underside of the seat and the hook section on the panel. (2) on the center seat and (1) on the adjacent seats.
Thanks for all of the input.
Mike

sunsational
08-27-2007, 11:58 PM
No cover. Was driving once and the rear of the cover came loose and the ratchet knicked the top of the boat a couple of times. Definitely put the bimini down though. Fortunately no cushion issues.

H20BOY
08-28-2007, 12:04 AM
If you close the walk way under the windshield the seat will not blow out.

JohnE
08-28-2007, 12:06 AM
I trailer with my snap on cover. No problems whatsoever. No scratches, either. Only problem is the snaps are a PIA when wiping down or waxing the boat.

Crash
08-28-2007, 03:03 AM
Always cover on if more than an hour, bugs and road dirt don't need to be in my boat!!

I too have a mooring cover, and I put a partially inflated intertube in the bow to assist the air flow over the windshield instead of down into the open bow.

I've tow about 2,000 miles a year and never a problem.

Definately recommend installing mudflaps on the vehicle! I noticed stone dings on the trailer and a couple on the boat.