PDA

View Full Version : My Boat got hit by lightning

240sc
08-06-2007, 07:48 PM
My boat and house got hit by lightning this week. I spent all week replacing appliances, and decided to take a break and get out on the water. When I went out to the boat, I noticed a hole in the cover, and then an inch long burn in the metal on the windshield. It actually melted the metal winshield frame. Everything in the boat is dead, I tried a new battery, but nothing will work. All the switches on the dash have been destroyed. They are still there, but move freely, like the switch doesn't have a back to it. I can only assume, that every electrical part, including all the wiring will have to be replaced. Any hope of getting this fixed? I would hate for my insurance to total a 240sc, not to many of them on the water. I already have a new 197 on the way, but was hoping to either keep the 240 or find a good home for it. Lightning sucks! I guess I'll park the new boat in the garage.

Slinkyredfoot
08-06-2007, 07:56 PM
Man you are so unlucky, I got struck by lightning before I bought my first MasterCraft...

Seriously tho, I am sorry for this stroke of bad luck. Next time I would suggest mounting a 2 iron golf club on your pylon or your tower...Everyone knows that even God can't hit a 2 iron....

240sc
08-06-2007, 11:04 PM
That is still the best advice I've gotten

JimN
08-06-2007, 11:09 PM
Slinky- it's a 1 iron. I have one, BTW and I like it. Goes a mile.

Anything can be repaired, it's just a matter of what someone wants to go through to do it, or what the insurance is willing to pay.

Call MC- they may still have the jigs for your boat. If not, the whole harness can be removed and since there's only one of each wire going from the motor to the dash, it shouldn't be that hard to duplicate. Just make great notes and take lots of photos.

wsrobert
08-13-2007, 09:25 PM
Man that's horrible. I have a 240SC myself and I would hate to see one go down b/c of a freak accident like that. I agree w/JimN...it can all be replaced, but it will be a task...Sounds like you'll have a fun winter. Good news is you'll know your electrical system like the back of your hand...