PDA

View Full Version : My new ride, extended warr?

mitch
02-27-2005, 11:08 AM
Traded in the 00 Excursion yesterday for this baby. Still thinking on getting the extended warr. It's an 04 Mountaineer w/ 9K miles, and the extended is $1,500 for 4year/100K, pretty much bumper to bumper, vs. balance of 3/36K. I did a ton of research before I bought and left 0 on the table, so there is no wiggle room on the $1500. Thoughts? Pro/Con's? Figure I'll put 80K on it and sell
V8 w/ tow pkg.
DVD
heated leather
power seats pass/driver
Audiophile system w/ 6 disk + 8" sub
everything but a moonroof, by design.

André
02-27-2005, 11:12 AM
Mitch
No pix?
Still an Excursion?

André
02-27-2005, 11:16 AM
Nice ride Mitch!
Is that a Navigator?

mitch
02-27-2005, 11:17 AM
Andre, s/b better now. :D Pic loaded and it's a Mountaineer.

ski_king
02-27-2005, 11:10 PM
Nice Ride!
I would say it is a roll of the dice, maybe just tuck the $1500 away and use if needed over the next 4 years.

I bet MarkP will have some input. I think he is havng issues on a newer Explorer.

MasterMason
02-27-2005, 11:26 PM
I had the same debate. Decided to by the extended warrenty, and my tranny went out with about 300 miles left on the warrenty, so I saved a boat load of money. Basically it is a gamble, mine paid off

east tx skier
02-28-2005, 01:36 AM
To quote Homer simpson when the crayon was jammed back up his nose and into his brain, "Extended warranty! How can I lose."

Of the three explorers (exploders) in our family, two are pushing 200K miles with little if any issues that made us wish we had the extended warranty. My sister has a 97 mountaineer and it has been trouble free.

/never bought an extended warranty in my life.

Leroy
02-28-2005, 01:45 AM
Mitch; Nice ride, I would say it depends on how much pulling and other severe conditions. With normal driving, if it won't last 80k miles they shouldn't be selling them.

east tx skier
02-28-2005, 01:51 AM
We used to use my wife's V-6 explorer (196K miles) to tow the boat on the long trips because I didn't want to fill up my jeep GW every 20 miles. It towed fine and we just left the overdrive off. No tranny issues or others for that matter.

Leroy
02-28-2005, 02:10 AM
Great advise in that experience TX.

If anyone doesn't know, the extented warranty programs are the highest margins of any business today period. I never buy. But to each his own!

mitch
02-28-2005, 06:40 PM
Thanks Guys! I'm gonna skip the ex warr, and hope for the best. I can change my mind at any time up the 36K, so if it's a pig..........

André
02-28-2005, 06:46 PM
Mitch
Looking at your avatars lately...Feeling romantic???

mitch
02-28-2005, 07:09 PM
Andre, This is my new softer side. Trying to stay as G rated as possible.

André
02-28-2005, 07:14 PM
Man,now you got me wondering what your "G" stand for??? LOL

Bert
02-28-2005, 07:35 PM
Great advise in that experience TX.

If anyone doesn't know, the extented warranty programs are the highest margins of any business today period. I never buy. But to each his own!

Buying extended warranty is like throwing dollar bills out the window. They give a break on purchase cost and make up for it ion the warranty charge.

OhioProstar
02-28-2005, 07:55 PM
I purchased a '98 Jeep Grand Cherokee and added the warranty and let me tell you after two front axles, it more than paid for itself. My 2003 Z71 has a warranty running through 105K and it is good peace of mind.

stevoh20
02-28-2005, 09:49 PM
Sweet color. With DVD too? I have a 98 Merc Mountaineer and you definately have to tow with the tranny out of OD. I do a full tranny flush about every 2 years and had no trouble. The V-8 is smooth and will have no problem pulling an MC out of any landing with AWD all the time. The one downfall with AWD is if you have moderate tire wear had have been rotating tires all along, you may have an issue if you have to replace 1 tire. If a fresh tire is added to a set of tires with say 30 to 50% tread left, this will strain your differentials causing failure as the tires are constantly turning at slightly different speeds; and that probably will not be covered under tire or extended warranty. In other words, with all time AWD, you have to replace full sets of tires or risk the tranny/differenitals. You may be smart to pick up an extra factory match rim and rotate your spare into the mix so you always have that ace in the hole if you have a blowout/irreplacable tire repair. Plus you will get 20% more tread life by rotating in the full size spare. If I knew what I know now with AWD, I would go that route.

I had to get full cat. converter system replaced, but it was covered under emission warranty which goes beyond 3/36 anyway. Its been good to me and never put me in a jam. Screw the warranty and stick with a trusty mechanic that won't put the screws to you like the dealer does anyway.

Ric
03-01-2005, 12:17 PM
bought an extended warranty once- ONCE -from a dealer I trusted
never really needed it for major repairs but when I did need it for a water pump and an a/c control repair, I was informed that this was NOT a GM warranty which made all claims go through an approval process and cost me some extra$ for the repairs
My advice, dont buy it.
sock away that 1500 and use it later for a repair if you have the discipline.
If you don't have the discipline, then be damn sure you are getting a Ford warranty, NOT an aftermarket song and dance.

bcampbe7
03-01-2005, 12:32 PM
Very nice vehicle Mitch...

The only extended warranty I have had was on my wife's Nissan Altima. We bought the car used (from a private seller) and it came with the warranty. It was a nice piece-of-mind, but not something I would have paid extra for on that vehicle.
Our Land Rover is a totally different story. I wish I had bought the extended warranty. Cost too much to fix the thing, and the closest place to work on it is about 1 hour away. The closest stealer, I mean dealer, is about 1.5 hours away. I feel like they should at least give me a hug when I leave there for what I pay them for parts and labor. Needless to say, I try to do most of the work myself.
I doubt you will have issues with your vehicle. You may know this, but just make sure that if you want to purchase the extended warranty before your regular warranty runs out, you may need to do so 2 months or 1000 miles prior to the end of the warranty.

mitch
03-01-2005, 12:42 PM
Thanks again guys! SteveO, good advice, appreciate that.

mitch
03-01-2005, 02:45 PM
Steve0, Found a good source on the exactly how the AWD works. Actually pretty cool. How did you balance your tires? Front to rear or did you cross? Thanks!

aprgriggs
03-01-2005, 02:53 PM
Traded in the 00 Excursion yesterday for this baby. Still thinking on getting the extended warr. It's an 04 Mountaineer w/ 9K miles, and the extended is $1,500 for 4year/100K, pretty much bumper to bumper, vs. balance of 3/36K. I did a ton of research before I bought and left 0 on the table, so there is no wiggle room on the $1500. Thoughts? Pro/Con's? Figure I'll put 80K on it and sell
V8 w/ tow pkg.
DVD
heated leather
power seats pass/driver
Audiophile system w/ 6 disk + 8" sub
everything but a moonroof, by design.

You can get an extended warranty anytime, as long as you are under the factory warranty. The price will be the same now or in 2 years. If your truck goes out of warranty that is when the price will go up, but even then you can still get a warranty. Becareful of aftermarket warranties...you have to get an approval before you can get repairs covered and they aren't taken everywhere. Factory warranties are more money, but you can use them at any dealer.

Hope this helps, Good Luck

aprgriggs
03-01-2005, 02:56 PM
I purchased a '98 Jeep Grand Cherokee and added the warranty and let me tell you after two front axles, it more than paid for itself. My 2003 Z71 has a warranty running through 105K and it is good peace of mind.

If you sell your cars make sure you get your money back for the unused milage of the warranty.

Warranty are good a buy on used cars :)

aprgriggs
03-01-2005, 02:59 PM
To quote Homer simpson when the crayon was jammed back up his nose and into his brain, "Extended warranty! How can I lose."

Of the three explorers (exploders) in our family, two are pushing 200K miles with little if any issues that made us wish we had the extended warranty. My sister has a 97 mountaineer and it has been trouble free.

/never bought an extended warranty in my life.

I have replaced 5 pulleys on my chevy...the warranty saved me. Of course I didn't buy the warranty untill the factory warranty was almost gone.

T Scott
03-01-2005, 03:04 PM
Mitch,
How did you like your Excursion? My wife has an Expedition 4x4 that we use to pull the boats, and it has been great! I was considering buying an Excursion within the next month or so. How was it for everyday driving? Maintenance issues? Fuel economy, (or lack thereof) etc.

Thanks!

Tom

mitch
03-01-2005, 03:33 PM
Tom, It was a great truck. I had some minor 4x4 issues early one, other than that no prob. 11.5mpg combined for me. 80 on the highway and I'm a bit of a leadfoot. Great tow vehicle, but depending on what kind of driving you do, not a great daily driver. Tougher to park, just BIG! They're pretty cheap now. I recently saw an 03 EB for $25K w/ low miles. KBB on mine was 13K ;(
I will miss it, but I had fun in it for 4+ years