PDA

View Full Version : Leak!?

sunsational
08-06-2007, 10:35 AM
We have discovered a leak! At least we thought so. We have a 2003 X9. I noticed water accumulating in the footwell last weekend. I place my cooler directly behind the driver seat and thought the cooler might be leaking. This weekend I used a different cooler and the leak was worse. I traced it to a hose in front of the footwell. I removed the front seat on the driver's side and found the dripping. I couldn't find a hose leak or split or even a loose connection, but my fat head doesn't fit in such a tight space. The water was hot and only leaks when above idle, so I suppose is it coming out of the engine, but I wouldn't think that would be up front? Anyone have an idea what could be leaking? Thanks for any help.

ttu
08-06-2007, 10:42 AM
does the boat have a heater. if so, then the core may be broke.

erkoehler
08-06-2007, 10:47 AM
Only reason hot water would be under the dash is for a heater core, and yours my friend has BUSTED :(

bigmac
08-06-2007, 10:49 AM
The heater core is leaking. This is a pretty common problem with HeaterCraft heaters of that vintage. Do a search here - lots of posts on the subject.

Pull the core (grey box with motor) and bypass the heater by connecting the two hoses with a double-ended barbed fitting and hose clamps, all of which you can by for about a dollar at amost any hardware store or automotive store. That way you'll still be able to use the boat. Remove the motor/blower from the grey box. Fill the core with water and see if it drips. Assuming it does, call HeaterCraft and tell them. Chances are they'll send you a whole new grey box with heater core inside and in exchange you send them the old one.

sunsational
08-06-2007, 12:14 PM
Thanks guys! That's great info. Is the best way to access the heater core by removing the panel under the dash?

corey
08-06-2007, 12:44 PM
If your heater was installed at the factory there will be a shut off valve at the engine. The valve looks like a garden hose shut off, just turn it closed and no more hot water on your feet. If your heater was installed aftermarket follow bigmacs advice.

sunsational
08-06-2007, 11:32 PM
Thanks Corey and bigmac! Found the valve on the side of the manifold. Thank goodness I got a couple of months before heat is needed. I'll give Heatercraft a call. :)