PDA

View Full Version : Optima Blue Top Battery

Bert
08-05-2007, 11:44 AM
Time for a new battery. Who's got one of these? They are pricey and I am curious who has one and how they like it. Can any one enlighten me about the spiral cell technology.

kbulava85
08-05-2007, 11:52 AM
I was looking at one of these too. I don't know much about the technology but word of mouth says Optima's are top of the line. The cheapest I have been able to find it anywhere though is $166 + 18.38 S&H.

Edit:
Actually I found Advance Auto Parts has them for $178.88, with free shipping or in store pick up if you have one close-by.

School Skier
08-05-2007, 12:13 PM
I have looked at them for my fishing boat. They are more for Lake Michigan and heavy duty applications I feel. I fish and ski inland waters so I just use good wet cell batteries for engine cranking for my MC and my Lund with a 15 hp Honda engine. I change my cranking batteries every 3 years for my marine application and every 5 years on my vehicles.

milkmania
08-05-2007, 12:14 PM
I was looking at one of these too. I don't know much about the technology but word of mouth says Optima's are top of the line. The cheapest I have been able to find it anywhere though is $166 + 18.38 S&H.

Edit:
Actually I found Advance Auto Parts has them for $178.88, with free shipping or in store pick up if you have one close-by.
autozone ($189.00) & o'reillys carry them also in store

T Scott
08-05-2007, 12:22 PM
Heck, I'd invest 60 bucks into a decent jump box and take it along with yop in the boat. I typically buy a $50-60 battery from WalMart (stop laughing everyone!) and it lasts me easily 3 years. The Blue Top would have to last three times longer (9 years) to justify the price. I personally, wouldn't trust an 7-8 year old battery no matter what the quality. I'm sticking with my Wal-Mart EverStart!!

east tx skier
08-05-2007, 12:33 PM
My brother in law had one. Left the key on by accident and we never could get it to recharge. Thank goodness for warranties. I went out to prep my boat for the lake yesterday. 4 year old Delco marine. I'd left the key in the accessory position for goodness knows how long. Cranked up the first time. I imagine that the acc position doesn't draw much, but in the end, this battery has been extremely reliable and only costs $65.

JimN
08-05-2007, 12:51 PM
Bert- you can go to the Optima site and they will probably have a video of someone driving a drywall screw into a cell, then showing that it still works.

Interstate sells similar batteries, too.

bigmac
08-05-2007, 02:46 PM
Personally, I would never (never have) spend that kind of money on a marine cranking battery. You can buy three Interstate (or whatever brand) marine batteries for the cost of an Optima Blue, and they'll last the same length of time if you take care of them. You could make an argument that it might be worthwhile if you were spending a lot of time drifting listening to your high-zoot stereo, but if that's that case than you'd be far better off with a dual battery setup.

87MCProstar
08-05-2007, 03:42 PM
I bought one of these a few years back, and haven't had one problem to date. i even left the battery in the boat during storage the second year i had it and all it needed was a charge. any other battery would have been toast i think, i run a red top in my car too. they are a little pricey but i feel they are worth it.

JimN
08-05-2007, 04:43 PM
The main difference is that the electrolyte is a gel and the discharge process doesn't accumulate lead sulphate like a lead/acid battery. Because of this, the Optima can be discharged/recharged more times and it doesn't lose its capacity the same way a lead/acid battery will.

Archimedes
08-05-2007, 04:45 PM
I've got one, it's a deep cycle, it holds a charge better when i use the stereo with the boat off a long time, and it seems to hold a charge better between uses as well.

bigmac
08-05-2007, 08:16 PM
I bought one of these a few years back, and haven't had one problem to date. i even left the battery in the boat during storage the second year i had it and all it needed was a charge. any other battery would have been toast i think, i run a red top in my car too. they are a little pricey but i feel they are worth it.I always leave my cheapo boat batteries in the boats during Minnesota winter storage. Never had a problem.

mtnsun
08-05-2007, 08:37 PM
I have one in my Stars & Stripes. It works amazing. I got it mainly because of the stero system I have. The amp draws a lot of power to run the stereo system. I have not had one problem with it keeping a charge. When I get my new MC, I will get another Blue top for that one too! I highly recomend one.

6ballsisall
08-05-2007, 10:10 PM
I have always had the $65 NAPA variety deep cell. Never had a problem w/ a battery in a boat or car. Well.......except the one I forgot and left on my cement garage floor all winter one time......:rolleyes:

bigmac
08-06-2007, 08:42 AM
I have always had the $65 NAPA variety deep cell. Never had a problem w/ a battery in a boat or car. Well.......except the one I forgot and left on my cement garage floor all winter one time......:rolleyes:

Batteries and oil....funny how old automotive myths perpetuate themselves over the decades..;) . Concrete will damage an automotive battery, but only if you drop it on it. ;)

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=concrete+discharge+battery

fintek9
08-06-2007, 09:32 AM
just picked up this summer. So far I like it allot, with all the stereo I'm pushing it's nice to float for a day without worry of it going dead. Some days the wife and I are out just to get sun, We've gone for 5 plus hours listening to tunes and it hasn't died on me yet!

DemolitionMan
08-06-2007, 09:37 AM
I had a yellow top and it lasted me for 5 seasons.

Commandohorn
08-08-2007, 11:13 AM
My mechanic says you are crazy to spend that! It's all about CCA...cold cranking amps. Any good marine CRANKING battery will work. Boat batteries die sooner than car batteries because of lack of use in the winter and the charge/discharge cycle, something your car does not experience.

chevy08bud
08-08-2007, 11:24 AM
I have a yellow top in my boat an love it. Bought it for my dad's boat in 2001 and it is now in my boat and have not had one problem. We'll have the stereo on for hours when sittting and swimming or just detailing the boat, and have not had one problem.

Bert
08-08-2007, 12:06 PM
Thanks for all the advice and opinions. I will say the myths about batteries and concrete made me laugh. Couldn't agree with you more Bigmac.:D
I have never had a problem with a standard battery. Used a car battery for the past five years and it was time for a new one.
Looked at the blue top, considered all the advice here. Considering the cost of the blue top and the way I use the boat, pretty much only runs when pulling and floating listening to stereo I went with a marine battery (700 CCA). For the price, (90 bucks) I figure it's better to just replace every three to four years.

rrbooker
08-08-2007, 12:25 PM
Go with a blue tops, worth every penny IMO! They hold a charge longer, and they seem to charge much faster than a standerd battery.

bigmac
08-08-2007, 12:34 PM
Go with a blue tops, worth every penny IMO! They hold a charge longer, and they seem to charge much faster than a standerd battery.

Why would you ever need to worry about how fast they charge? My boat sits on a lift all summer and I've never had to put a charger on my $60 Interstate.

rrbooker
08-08-2007, 12:39 PM
Why would you ever need to worry about how fast they charge? My boat sits on a lift all summer and I've never had to put a charger on my $60 Interstate.

I guess its worth every penny if you have a bigger stereo!!

bigmac
08-08-2007, 12:45 PM
I guess its worth every penny if you have a bigger stereo!!Yeh, I'd certainly agree with dual Optima's and a built-in external charger if you have a big-a$$ sound system and like to sit listening to it with the engine off.

Bert
08-08-2007, 01:21 PM
I guess its worth every penny if you have a bigger stereo!! Yes, I would agree with that. I just have a regular stereo with a sirius satellite radio. It's all I need and I don't want to give up storage space for dual batteries, amps etc. so the regular old cheapo battery works for me.