PDA

View Full Version : NO start on a 2003 X9 with a 350EFI

jstrangio
08-04-2007, 01:55 AM
I have a mastercraft x-9 with a no start. I tried to push in on the emergency stop switch (the red kill switch) and then put the clip back on. Still no luck. I made sure it was in neutral and still no luck. The entire time it will crank but will not start. does any one have any quick items to check. I am mechanicly inclined I just figure it has to be something I am overlooking. I was running great earlier today I went in for lunch and came back out and it would not fire. thank you in advance for any and all imput on this one.

6ballsisall
08-04-2007, 08:03 AM
PM JimN he will know for sure what the problem is.

JimN
08-04-2007, 08:55 AM
Turn the key and listen for the relay click and buzzing from the pump. You'll need to make sure the pump is accessible. Try cranking at WOT (Wide Open Throttle) and if it starts, bring it back to idle immediately. Also, if it starts, it was flooded, for some reason.

If it still wont start, look at all three of the fuses on the motor. They should be marked and one will show 'Fuel Pump'.

Jiggle the throttle (don't put it in neutral) to see if the neutral safety switch is being engaged.

If your gauges activate when you turn the key ON, the safety switch isn't the problem.

Ric
08-04-2007, 09:02 AM
Hey Jimn, the kill switch always worries me. especially after reading so many folks having that small item ruin their day.

Am I right that IF the kill switch is working properly, you WILL get gages when you turn the key forward, along with getting starter when you turn the key to start, but NOT get gages in that sequence when the kill switch is not working properly?

The reason I ask is that I thought I noticed that last time we were at the big lake and I was repeatedly removing the kill lanyard while we were stopped and swimming around... and I noticed this sequence that I thought might help somoene troubleshoot a bad kill switch rather quickly.

So if I am right, then IF you turn the key forward and your gages don't initialize, in addition to no starter AND you know you have a full charge on your battery, would it be safe to look first to the kill switch as your problem ?

JimN
08-04-2007, 09:30 AM
The starter will engage but the gauges shouldn't and there will be no ignition. If you have gauges, it should start.

Maristar210
08-04-2007, 09:35 AM
The starter will engage but the gauges shouldn't and there will be no ignition. If you have gauges, it should start.

Hey Jim,

Thanks for your tireless efforts on this board. Your posts always usefull information unlike mine and many others here. You are a credit to the board for sure. Thanks !!!!

(blows sunshine up jims ***)

Ric
08-04-2007, 09:35 AM
Hey Jim,

Thanks for your tireless efforts on this board. Your posts always usefull information unlike mine and many others here. You are a credit to the board for sure. Thanks !!!!

(blows sunshine up jims ***) now get back to pulling your lanyard

Maristar210
08-04-2007, 09:38 AM
now get back to pulling your lanyard

You wanna pull my what there Rickie? 8p 8p

(Hey you should see the Rickman I have right now , gonna email you a pic)

Ric
08-04-2007, 09:56 AM
do I see a dent in that expansion chamber?

jstrangio
08-05-2007, 12:22 AM
So I have found that it is the fuel system. Any ideas how do test the fuel pump? or the voltage going to it?

bigmac
08-05-2007, 08:43 AM
So I have found that it is the fuel system. Any ideas how do test the fuel pump? or the voltage going to it?Probably the simplest thing is to listen for it to spin up when you turn on the key. If it does that, you could get a fuel pressure gauge and attach it to the Schrader valve on your fuel rail and find out if the pump is pressurizing the system.