PDA

View Full Version : Chapel Hill NC

MarkP
08-03-2007, 10:34 PM
Whats the best Skiing around Chapel Hill???
AnyoneÖ

Best Ski lake??

jsnipes
08-03-2007, 10:46 PM
Jordan Lake is very close by...I wakeboard on it and assume it would be fine for skiing too, if there are not too many boats out.

Shearon Harris and Falls Lake are not too far away, either.

Jamie

MarkP
08-03-2007, 11:01 PM
Jordan Lake is very close by...I wakeboard on it and assume it would be fine for skiing too, if there are not too many boats out.

Shearon Harris and Falls Lake are not too far away, either.

Jamie
Cool thanks
I drove over Jordan and Falls today.. Thatís good boating?? Falls looked low. Is it lack of water or something else??

TMCNo1
08-03-2007, 11:07 PM
There are several lakes in central NC, jsnipes covered the closest ones to Chapel Hill. UNC WaterSki Team/Club has a MC and a slalom course on Jordon somewhere. Coble Ski School is about 45 min. to a hour away in Lillington, which is South of Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill/Cary. We are one hour West of Chapel Hill and our lake, Belews is 15 minutes from the house, High Rock is 45 minutes away and Lake Norman and Wiley is two hours away.

Most of the state is in some kind of drought status right now, Belews is 14" down right now.

MarkP
08-03-2007, 11:14 PM
H
Thatís all good Mastercraft water? I went over those couple that I mentioned and think I saw 3 boats. You guys got sea monsters or something??
Falls was pretty low..

BriEOD
08-04-2007, 08:14 AM
Wow, look who is back from the dead.:D

TMCNo1
08-04-2007, 09:14 AM
Wow, look who is back from the dead.:D

Who is that?????????????????:rolleyes: Oh, MarkP, right? It's good to see him on here! he's really been missed!

6ballsisall
08-04-2007, 09:16 AM
Good to see you on here Mark!:cool:

Ric
08-04-2007, 09:28 AM
Pelosi disappears for months and resurfaces in North Carolina;)

BriEOD
08-04-2007, 12:13 PM
Pelosi disappears for months and resurfaces in North Carolina;)
Dude that is f*'d up! Although, their last names do sound similar. They almost rhyme. Hmmm...you know Mark has talked about a lot of political stuff over the years.

Nancy and Rachel.............

Ric
08-04-2007, 01:01 PM
hahhahhhaha I knew you'd like that little play, but nope, no reply from markie.

east tx skier
08-05-2007, 12:41 PM
So Mark, are you packing up the Uhaul yet?

jsnipes
08-05-2007, 02:54 PM
Falls and Jordan are both low ... Falls is the worse. I've had no problems in the areas of each one that I go to. If you're going to be around, I'd be glad to meet you on either one and show you the danger areas. I don't go to Shearon Harris, so I can't help you there.

I spend more time on Jordan and there are a number of MC's there regularly. Mostly wakeboard. I'm not into the serious ski scene so others would need to point you in that direction.

There are other lakes more towards Greensboro, etc and more norther are Kerr, Gaston, etc.

Let me know if you want to hook up. I'm off all this week and can meet you pretty much anytime. PM me.

Jamie

bigpack20
08-05-2007, 05:18 PM
Cool thanks
I drove over Jordan and Falls today.. Thatís good boating?? Falls looked low. Is it lack of water or something else??

Falls is down lack of rain. I was out last night not to bad still water to ski on.

MarkP
08-05-2007, 06:41 PM
Thanks for the input guys itís always helpful to get some insider info.. Rene had an interview in CH Friday so I was in town checking out some of the lakes, (thinking about re-locating). We could only be in town a few days and didnít get to spend any time out on the lakes. (I should have asked about it sooner) Not sure if itís the right area for us.. I may shop her around Charlotte next..

jsnipes
08-05-2007, 07:28 PM
I've lived in both and prefer the Triangle (Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill) vs Charlotte. To each their own, though.

Jamie

MarkP
08-06-2007, 01:03 AM
I liked it fine too. What part of the Triangle are you in? We have three kids to consider and did find that the triangle has a few outstanding school districts..

With the exception of the Lake Norman area I haven’t been to Charlotte. I did like it around the lake but haven’t looked into the schools...

hester
08-06-2007, 09:36 AM
I live in Apex, NC which is west of Raleigh and 15 minutes from Jordan.
We go two nights a week and it's empty.

The weekends can be crazy but there are a few places to hide. We board but I think there is a slalom couse on a back cove (35į42'33.68"N 78į59'29.71"W)

jsnipes, is right you need to have someone show you the bad spots when the levels are low due to lack of rain.