PDA

View Full Version : How to De-Winterize a Boat

boatwake
02-25-2005, 09:50 AM
I've seen a lot of check lists for what needs to be done to winterize a boat. Does anyone have a checklist of things to do to de-winterize a boat (i.e. prepare it for the first run of the season). I actually have a pretty good idea, but there is always a possibility I forgot something.

Tom023
02-25-2005, 10:32 AM
Assuming I've done all my maintenance during the winterization process, all I do is: check fluid levels (oil, transmission, battery), replace any drain plugs and reconnect hoses that I may have left unconnected, install new impeller, bring it home and start it up in the driveway. At this time, I look for leaks and such. After I run the first tank of gas out, that has been stabilized, I may change the plugs. That's it for me.

boatwake
02-25-2005, 11:27 AM
Interesting comment on changing plugs after you run through the tank of stabilized gas. Is it hard on plugs?

Tom023
02-25-2005, 11:56 AM
I have no idea. I just figure if it's time for a plug change, I'm going to do it after I run all the old, stabilized gas out of it, along with all the fogging oil. I suspect the stuff gets burned off right away and it doesn't make a difference, but it's just the way I do it.

east tx skier
02-25-2005, 12:03 PM
I made this last fall to help me remember what I needed to do. It's pretty extensive (based on MC's recommendations and quite a bit of the stuff JimN and others have posted). One is for winterize. One is for dewinterize. Read them both because some things I do in the fall may be something others don't. You can probably get by with less, but this is just what I do. Enjoy.

boatwake
02-25-2005, 12:17 PM
east_tx_skier, you are the man! :worthy: Thank you very much.

east tx skier
02-25-2005, 12:18 PM
You're welcome. It was written with a couple of family members of mine as a perceived audience. Sorry if it's a bit too descriptive.

P.S. There should be something about lubing the steering cable in there as well.

bcampbe7
02-25-2005, 12:24 PM
P.S. There should be something about lubing the steering cable in there as well.

Great lists east tx. I was told NOT to grease the steering cable.

east tx skier
02-25-2005, 12:28 PM
It's listed in my manual under annual maintenance. It's not technically part of the winterization procedure, but I do my annual maintenance at the same time.

There should also be something in there about checking the brake fluid reservoir on the trailer.

/laughing at your signature. On a homebrew discussion forum, my signature was a homer simpson quote telling marge "maybe it's the beer talking, but you've got a butt that won't quit."

I was emailed by the adminstrator to change my signature as there had been complaints. Miffed, my signature was changed to (and still reads) "I can't believe you were offended by that."

jimmer2880
02-28-2005, 07:25 AM
Before cranking the engine, I remove each spark plug & squirt WD40 down each cylinder.

After it's been started, then I replace the plugs before heading to the water.

Tom Wortham
03-01-2005, 12:47 PM
I have no idea. I just figure if it's time for a plug change, I'm going to do it after I run all the old, stabilized gas out of it, along with all the fogging oil. I suspect the stuff gets burned off right away and it doesn't make a difference, but it's just the way I do it.

Tom023, How many hours do you usually put on a boat in a season? Just Curious.

east tx skier
03-01-2005, 12:55 PM
Jimmer, what's the purpose of the WD-40 in the cylinders. I figure it doesn't hurt since you're recomissioning the boat, but I've been warned so many times against fogging (at winterization) with WD-40, that I just avoid it all together.

Tom023
03-01-2005, 01:43 PM
Tom, somewhere between 75 and 100.

jimmer2880
03-01-2005, 07:06 PM
Jimmer, what's the purpose of the WD-40 in the cylinders. I figure it doesn't hurt since you're recomissioning the boat, but I've been warned so many times against fogging (at winterization) with WD-40, that I just avoid it all together.

It's purely to lube the cylinders until everything gets going well. I would not use it as a winterization oil - that's what fogging oil is for. WD40 in the winter time wouldn't last nearly as long as the fogging oil.

This was a tip that an old (in years in the old car business) gear-head told me. I don't know if it really makes much of a difference, but I do it.

BriEOD
03-01-2005, 08:27 PM
Do you guys change your plugs every season?

jimmer2880
03-02-2005, 06:43 AM
Do you guys change your plugs every season?

Yes - my old plugs go into my dock and mobile home towing rig.

Each year, new plugs, new impeller and change tranny (sorry - transmission:rolleyes: ) oil.

Mag_Red
03-02-2005, 06:44 AM
Yes - my old plugs go into my dock and mobile home towing rig.

Each year, new plugs, new impeller and change tranny (sorry - transmission:rolleyes: ) oil. That old truck takes the same plugs????

east tx skier
03-02-2005, 12:19 PM
New plugs every year. Haven't changed the wires, etc. yet. Probably next year.

Leroy
03-02-2005, 12:51 PM
Doug; With most vehicles today not needing plugs changed for 10 years/100k miles are you changing because you have older/non EFI/non electronic ignitions? I haven't changed a plug in any vehicle in years....

jimmer2880
03-02-2005, 01:35 PM
That old truck takes the same plugs????

It's a smallblock chevy (305 to be exact) and runs on all 7 cylinders. Yup - the plugs fit and seem to work. Did they change the plug hole?

east tx skier
03-02-2005, 01:39 PM
Leroy, I'm just going by what my manual says under annual maintenance.

Leroy
03-02-2005, 01:57 PM
Thanks Doug, saw that also. Just funny I don't think any cars have that requirement anymore. Anyway cheap and not too difficult.

roddydog
03-02-2005, 03:08 PM
I made this last fall to help me remember what I needed to do. It's pretty extensive (based on MC's recommendations and quite a bit of the stuff JimN and others have posted). One is for winterize. One is for dewinterize. Read them both because some things I do in the fall may be something others don't. You can probably get by with less, but this is just what I do. Enjoy.
For some reason I couldn't open any of your files, they all came out as computer junk. Don't know why. Maybe it's the type of file. Suggestions?

east tx skier
03-02-2005, 03:09 PM
Thats's what it boils down to for me. Cheap and easy (although not quite so easy on a Ford as a Chevy), but everybody needs to intentionally dislocate his shoulder once in a while.

east tx skier
03-02-2005, 03:10 PM
For some reason I couldn't open any of your files, they all came out as computer junk. Don't know why. Maybe it's the type of file. Suggestions?

They're zipped MS Word Documents. I just pulled them up with no problems. Shoot me an email, and I'll email them to you if you like.

BriEOD
03-02-2005, 03:24 PM
They opened for me. You might need winzip. www.winzip.com

buffskier
10-18-2006, 03:36 PM
Hi

that checklist is aboslutely fantastic! Thanks

Are the plugs that you specify for a 351 PCM (84 Stars & Stripes)?

What about points, rotors, condensors? Are these worthwhile changing every year. (We are down for 8 months here in Colorado) If so, are they 'NAPA-able?'

east tx skier
10-18-2006, 04:07 PM
The AL 764s are for the 351 HO (GT40). According to what I have in the parts list, I think your engine would take an Autolite 25 or comparable plug. Gap should be the same at 0.035. That's what the late 80s Indmars would take, but you might want to double check for PCM.

randyb
05-14-2008, 02:52 PM
I can't see any of the attachments from this post with the winterization checklists. Did they get moved? I used them last year but don't remember where I saved the files to.

thanks

Roonie's
05-14-2008, 03:02 PM
I can't see any of the attachments from this post with the winterization checklists. Did they get moved? I used them last year but don't remember where I saved the files to.

thanks

You can find it here a permanent sticky under frequently asked questions.

http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=5427

grantroberts
05-16-2008, 05:03 PM
hey don't see the list? Links still up