PDA

View Full Version : Squealing belt

88inNH
08-02-2007, 05:16 PM
tells me it's time to change the alternator belt in my 88 prostar 190 (Ford 351). Questions:

Looks like I need to take off the two hoses to the raw water pump and the bracket for the raw water pump. Correct?

Stupid question - can I take the "water in" line off the raw water pump while the boat is in the water? or will water rush in?

I assume I remove the two bolts holding the raw water pump bracket to the engine. Does everything stay in place without support while I slide the belt in?

All three pulleys have ragged rust spots, peeling paint. Can't be good for the belt. What's the best way to "dress them up"?

The bottom bolt (that slides in the slot of the alternator bracket) almost feels stripped to me. I'm afraid to really crank it down. Anyone experience that? Is that bracket piece available? Top /pivot bolt above alternator is fine.

east tx skier
08-02-2007, 05:20 PM
On mine, I had my local auto mechanic do it. He took the water pump completely off. $28 and I didn't break a sweat.

TMCNo1
08-02-2007, 05:54 PM
tells me it's time to change the alternator belt in my 88 prostar 190 (Ford 351). Questions:

Looks like I need to take off the two hoses to the raw water pump and the bracket for the raw water pump. Correct?

Stupid question - can I take the "water in" line off the raw water pump while the boat is in the water? or will water rush in?

I assume I remove the two bolts holding the raw water pump bracket to the engine. Does everything stay in place without support while I slide the belt in?

All three pulleys have ragged rust spots, peeling paint. Can't be good for the belt. What's the best way to "dress them up"?

The bottom bolt (that slides in the slot of the alternator bracket) almost feels stripped to me. I'm afraid to really crank it down. Anyone experience that? Is that bracket piece available? Top /pivot bolt above alternator is fine.

On our '89, the bottom bolt for the pump on the bracket is allen head. While you have it apart, put a second belt on and wrap it up and cable tie it to the bracket, then next time you need to change belts, or if it should break, all you have to do is undo the new belt, loosen the alternator and put it on the pulleys and tighten the alternator back up and you are on your way.

bbeach
08-02-2007, 06:46 PM
yes everything will stay in place when you remove the water pump bracket bolts... Actually the bracket can swivel right and allow you to get the belt out...

88inNH
08-03-2007, 06:40 PM
Just to close this out for future readers:
Belt couldn't have been easier.
Popped two hoses of the raw water pump.
(Boat didn't sink, but lots of gurgling noises as passing wakes rocked boat).
Took out two bolts from raw water pump bracket. It swung to the right.
Slipped new belt in, put everything back together.

Cleaning the worst of the rust off with 220 grit sand paper was a PITA, but no big deal.

Bolt that feels like it's stripping out actually goes through the bracket into a threaded hole at the bottom of the alternator. Tightened it gingerly, hopefully that combined with the bolt in the pivot will maintain tension on the belt. If not, I'll tackle that another day.

Jaysonsmith
10-25-2007, 10:13 PM
I did the same thing for my 98 PS 205 with LT-1. Is there any chance that the water pump could get out of alignment or anything like that?

88 PS190
10-25-2007, 11:21 PM
No big deal to do it. bbeach has it.