PDA

View Full Version : 1993 prostar rub rail

JayM3
08-01-2007, 03:46 PM
I have a 93 prostar. Anybody have any ideas on how hard it is to replace the rub rail? And how much does it cost?

TMCNo1
08-01-2007, 04:48 PM
I have a 93 prostar. Anybody have any ideas on how hard it is to replace the rub rail? And how much does it cost?

Check out these 2 threads in this post,http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showpost.php?p=363997&postcount=5

Hoosier Bob
08-01-2007, 10:50 PM
I have pulled mine a couple of times and it is actually very easy but will wear on your fingers. Warm weather, sun will help. I start at the front and roll the rub back into the rail. A little coaxing with the fingers and boom. You can pull a bit to get the correct stretch. Do one side at a time. I do not know pricing but I was thinking of adding a color! Red or Blue for me!:D I have a 93 prostar. Anybody have any ideas on how hard it is to replace the rub rail? And how much does it cost?

JohnnyB
08-01-2007, 10:58 PM
My wife and I did the rub rail insert on my '92 in about 1.5 hours. Heating the insert with a heat gun as you work helps. I heated it in sections and tapped it in with a rubber mallet. It was probably only 60 degrees and night-time when I did mine. I've gotta believe if you left the coil in the sun for a couple hours on a hot day, it would be even easier.

JayM3
08-02-2007, 02:12 AM
What about the entire aluminum part too? I let one of my friends take my boat out and it came back with half the pop rivets (sp?) out and can't just be knocked bakc in. My actual rub rail is in good shape, i just can't seem to find a way to get the entire peice to stay on???

Hoosier Bob
08-02-2007, 11:18 PM
No problem! First off don't hit stuff so hard! Secondly go buy a bunch of Stainless Steel flathead phillips bolts. Drill the rivets out and replace with the stainless. Use a washer and nylon SS lock nut on the back(inside of the boat). Long hot process but no leaks and tough as nails! Bad news is if you hit something really hard the bolts do not pop! Rub will be rock solid!