PDA

View Full Version : Engine/'transmission problems

dgunthert
08-01-2007, 12:59 PM
Looks like I'll be taking my boat to the mechanic, but since it'll be a day or two, I'm looking for some armchair diagnosis of the following problem with my 97 Prostar 205:

- prop is fine and spins relatively freely in neutral
- engine starts with no problems and revs with no hesitation or problems with boat out of gear
- when in gear, boat won't go much faster than idle. Any more throttle and it hesitates and/or surges, but still without any real power.
- problem orginated last week while wakesurfing and I thought some water might have gotten in the gas vent line. I used a bottle of Heet and filled the tank.

Any quick thoughts on where the problem might be?

dmayer84
08-01-2007, 01:00 PM
When was the last time you changed the tranny oil?

dgunthert
08-01-2007, 02:50 PM
Less than 50 hours.

snoopy
08-12-2011, 06:48 PM
the exact same thing is going on with mine at the moment, whatever happened with the cause, any other suggestions? tranny fluid is good and clean, all gauges look good when idling, temp, just surges/lunges/hesitates when you try to take her from a slow crawl to a more fast speed....the problem started about a week ago, I thought it was weeds, cleaned it out a bit, didn't take it out ntil this morning, ran some ski passes no problem, started to take her back to shore when the problem occurred again.

ttu
08-12-2011, 07:15 PM
what's your fuel pressure?

sounds just like what i dealt with and come to find out the fuel pump was on it's last leg.

JimN
08-12-2011, 07:35 PM
Looks like I'll be taking my boat to the mechanic, but since it'll be a day or two, I'm looking for some armchair diagnosis of the following problem with my 97 Prostar 205:

- prop is fine and spins relatively freely in neutral
- engine starts with no problems and revs with no hesitation or problems with boat out of gear
- when in gear, boat won't go much faster than idle. Any more throttle and it hesitates and/or surges, but still without any real power.
- problem orginated last week while wakesurfing and I thought some water might have gotten in the gas vent line. I used a bottle of Heet and filled the tank.

Any quick thoughts on where the problem might be?

A bottle of heat will do absolutely nothing if you got more than a few ounces of water in the tank. Take a fuel sample/test the fuel pressure- you can do this with the kind of pressure gauge that has a purge valve and clear vinyl tube. Collect it in a clear container that has been thoroughly cleaned.

tommcat
08-12-2011, 07:43 PM
had the same problems with mine a few years ago, it was losing fuel pressure due to it occasionally plugging the screen in the inlet of the fuel pump with black goo. i could clean it out and be good for a day or so and the problem would return.
i got the boat from WI and when i brought it to MA it saw ethanol fuel for the first time. ethanol fuel will eat up rubber fuel lines that were not designed to handle it back when they made the boats in 97. ethanol will also act as a cleaner and remove all the residue from the inside of your tank, lines or hoses. i dont know if your area recently switched to E10 fuel or not but checking the fuel pressure would be my first check, if it's low under a load then look in the fuel pump for debris.

dont know if this helps you or not but it's worth mentioning

tom

JimN
08-12-2011, 08:49 PM
had the same problems with mine a few years ago, it was losing fuel pressure due to it occasionally plugging the screen in the inlet of the fuel pump with black goo. i could clean it out and be good for a day or so and the problem would return.
i got the boat from WI and when i brought it to MA it saw ethanol fuel for the first time. ethanol fuel will eat up rubber fuel lines that were not designed to handle it back when they made the boats in 97. ethanol will also act as a cleaner and remove all the residue from the inside of your tank, lines or hoses. i dont know if your area recently switched to E10 fuel or not but checking the fuel pressure would be my first check, if it's low under a load then look in the fuel pump for debris.

dont know if this helps you or not but it's worth mentioning

tom

We have not only had ethanol for a long time (being so close to Chicago made the EPA force MKE and other higher population areas in WI to use ethanol) but we also had MTVE until California demanded that it be discontinued because they found it in the ground water. We had some of the worst gas you could think of, so taking it to MA wasn't the first time it was filled with this stuff. Unfortunately for all of us, they want to continue mixing gas with ethanol without a way to keep moisture out of the tank.

tommcat
08-12-2011, 09:18 PM
We have not only had ethanol for a long time (being so close to Chicago made the EPA force MKE and other higher population areas in WI to use ethanol) but we also had MTVE until California demanded that it be discontinued because they found it in the ground water. We had some of the worst gas you could think of, so taking it to MA wasn't the first time it was filled with this stuff. Unfortunately for all of us, they want to continue mixing gas with ethanol without a way to keep moisture out of the tank.didnt know that. with that being the case the only thing i can think of is that the previous owner used marine/off road fuel which if you are like us has no ethanol. then i started filling it from regular gas stations here and the ethanol did it's damage.
i know the previous owner kept it in the water full time, maybe his marina didnt use ethanol. many of ours dont.

i personally hate ethanol, it did some serious damage to snowmobiles where i ride during it's phase in period. until people started to jet accordingly and gas stations put in filtering systems it was taking out 2 strokes on a regular basis.