PDA

View Full Version : New Rudder Box

Nova Scotia Skier
02-24-2005, 08:29 PM
Looking for a bit of advice before I do this. I have to install a new rudder box in my '82. My old one had packing and the new one has o-rings. The problem is the new one is 1/4" larger dia. than the old one. I know I have to cut the hole bigger and that makes me nervous. I've been putting off this job for over a month.
I was thinking a hole saw. Cut out a piece of wood dia of hole now to put on drill of hole saw. Then use bigger hole saw to cut hole. I'm not really a fan of hole saws, and I was wondering if someone has a better idea.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

lakes Rick
02-24-2005, 08:46 PM
How about a step bit?? Like the ones used on OCC choppers??

Nova Scotia Skier
02-24-2005, 08:59 PM
I'm not familiar with them. What are they like? Are they like the ones for opening holes in electrical pannels?

milkmania
02-24-2005, 09:48 PM
I'm not familiar with them. What are they like? Are they like the ones for opening holes in electrical pannels?

http://images.overstock.com/f/102/3117/8h/www.overstock.com/images/products/P955711.jpghttp://www.smarthome.com/images/89023big.jpghttp://www.smarthome.com/images/89024big.jpg

Ben
02-25-2005, 07:13 AM
I've never used a step bit before, but have successfully used a hole saw on my '94 to put in PP. I would guess a step bit the size you need may be pricey. As for the drilling it was no problem at all, after the psychological block of drilling a hole in my boat was overcome....

Another way to keep the bit centered in your situation may be to drill 3 holes in the small piece of wood or metal to use as a jig. 2 holes to line up with 2 of the rudder box mounting holes & the 3rd would be a center hole for the center drill of the hole saw. Use some bolts to hold the jig in place, maybe the rudder box stuff. Once you get the large hole started, you could remove the jig. I recommend starting the hole by hand, maybe even turning the bit backwards. Also, you should drill from both sides so you don't blast through & mess up the glass.

A final note that I'm not super educated on, I think the hull has 2 layers of glass with some foam or other material in the middle. Mine did. If you have this too, make sure and line the ID of the hole with silicone or something similar to prevent the lake from sneaking in between the layers of the hull. I read this idea somewhere, & it seemed logical.

Enjoy

Nova Scotia Skier
02-25-2005, 02:19 PM
Thanks guys for the info. Those drills are the one's I thought they might be. Yes, it may be a bit expensive. The hole is 1 7/8". But certainly thanks for the idea. The plate is also a good idea. It would probably be a lot more stable than what I was thinking. Also thanks for the silicone idea. I may have overlooked thet.
I appreciate everyones response. :)

jimmer2880
02-28-2005, 06:34 AM
Also, I highly recommend running your holesaw in the reverse direction for a couple seconds so that you don't splinter the fiberglass.