PDA

View Full Version : Engine died and would not restart

MILLERFAM41
08-01-2007, 12:21 AM
We were going across the lake, the boat was running great, I thought i was smelling gas, my blower did not work on this day for the first time. When i hit the reset button on the blower, it would work for about a minute then trip. We continued running around the lake for about an hour. We stopped for a minute, restarted engine, took off and ran about 100 yards and it died and would not restart. It did not spit or sputter, it just died like someone turned the key off. I checked the kill switch to see if the lynard was bumped off. it wasnt. ( did not check wiring behind panel) I checked the fuse labeled fuel injection on the panel behind carborator. I thought there was a breaker panel under steering console, i was gonna check to see if any fuses had blown. But i could not find a panel. The motor would turn over strong but when i would throttle , it would not spray gas in carb. I will check wires behind kill switch panel, but i was wondering about the fuel injection. Has anyone ever had this type of problem and what did you do.

André
08-01-2007, 12:25 AM
We were going across the lake, the boat was running great, I thought i was smelling gas, my blower did not work on this day for the first time. We stopped for a minute, restarted engine, took off and it died and would not restart. I did check the kill switch ( did not check wiring behind ) checked fuses labeled fuel injection because i did not see fuel spraying when throttled up. Has anyone ever had this type of problem.
Looked at your profile.Never knew there were Mercruiser engines in a 96 MC.
Is it original?

Do you hear the pump priming at the key on position?

MILLERFAM41
08-01-2007, 12:46 AM
Thanks for the merc. info.
I did not hear the pump priming with key on

rektek
08-01-2007, 01:58 AM
you will need to post much more details before anyone can even think about trying to help. too much info is better than none.

cheers:D

MILLERFAM41
08-04-2007, 02:03 AM
Would You Take A Look Now And See If You Could Help?

mess33
08-13-2007, 12:04 AM
I experienced a similar problem today. We were running across the lake at about 30mph and the boat just died. When I went to restart the key had nothing. I checked the kill switch and it was fine. I hit the reset button to the key switch and then it worked. I then tried starting it but it refused to come to life or even cough a little. A beeping sound would come on while trying to turn it over. I had to hit the reset button several times because the ignition would keep popping. It never did start and I had to be towed in. Very embarrasing with a Mastercraft. Any help would be appreciated before I call the dealer.

Mess

mess33
08-13-2007, 12:06 AM
Boat is a 97 PS205 with LT-1.

Mess

JimN
08-13-2007, 12:12 AM
There have been other threads with the same problems- make sure the battery terminals are clean and the cable clamps are clean and tight. ALso, make sure the ground point on the motor are clean and tight, with no loose wires. Do a wiggle test on the ground wires- if any come off, they would have come off anyway, so they'll need to be repaired properly. This means crimped (again, properly) and soldered, or use Heat-N-Seal connectors.

MILLERFAM41- is there any chance that the fuel gauge isn't accurate and you're just out of gas?