PDA

View Full Version : Installing a Factory Bimini - ProStar 197 2005

BuoyChaser
07-31-2007, 10:21 AM
i just received a new bimini for my 2005 ProStar 197, it is a MasterCraft Factory bimini and I could use a hand or some "tips of the trade" on mounting it right...

i believe it is the same bimini since 2003 for all 190, 197 or X7 for a WINDSHIELD MOUNT...

anyone have the manual or instructions that came with it...i believe Apex Canvas Company out of Loudon TN is the company that makes them for MC...

this one shows that it mounts on the windshield from the instructions...check out the attached PDF file...sorry the picture doesn't show it better on my scan?!?

jkski
07-31-2007, 10:43 AM
BC,
Take an actual measurement of the width, pole to pole to make sure that is does not mount to the deck rather than the widshield frame. I believe that in 05 or 06 they made the switch from the windshield mount to the deck mount, and the hardware is actually the same.
When my bimini came for my 02 the directions that were shipped with it were not correct, so measure twice and drill once!!!

east tx skier
07-31-2007, 10:52 AM
If you do decide to do the windshield mount, it might be worth looking under the frame to see how much clearance you, in fact, have. Glass is expensive and doesn't react well to drill bits. Ask Footin'. :o It's not a 197, but I let the dealer mount mine.

BuoyChaser
07-31-2007, 11:30 AM
If you do decide to do the windshield mount, it might be worth looking under the frame to see how much clearance you, in fact, have. Glass is expensive and doesn't react well to drill bits. Ask Footin'. :o It's not a 197, but I let the dealer mount mine.
i know i saw those horror stories about the "Cracked Windshield"...hopefully my next post won't be, WANTED NEW WINDSHIELD...

did the framework around the window change or something, just curious as to why they would stop mounting on the windshield...seems like a perfect place so it is out of the way...

BuoyChaser
07-31-2007, 11:30 AM
BC,
Take an actual measurement of the width, pole to pole to make sure that is does not mount to the deck rather than the widshield frame. I believe that in 05 or 06 they made the switch from the windshield mount to the deck mount, and the hardware is actually the same.
When my bimini came for my 02 the directions that were shipped with it were not correct, so measure twice and drill once!!!
i'll certainly MEASURE TEN TIMES and DRILL ONCE...

jkski
07-31-2007, 01:54 PM
I "thought I heard" where the bimini's mounted to the widshield frame were causing some stress issues leading to the spacing of the walk-thru windshield peice not fitting properly after a while.
Again, I caution you to check into this further, as it may have been an isolated incident and may not be the reason for the change at all.

BuoyChaser
08-01-2007, 09:27 AM
I "thought I heard" where the bimini's mounted to the widshield frame were causing some stress issues leading to the spacing of the walk-thru windshield peice not fitting properly after a while.
Again, I caution you to check into this further, as it may have been an isolated incident and may not be the reason for the change at all.
i put in the call yesterday to the "man" at MC, he's working on it!!!would love to be able to get it mounted for the weekend...need to get that "Babe" protected from the sunlight!!!that means more "mommy time" in the boat...

anyone have any pics of the "window mounted" bimini?!?

Kevin Hickey
08-01-2007, 09:50 AM
I have a 2005 ProStar 197. When I bought the boat, I had the dealer install the MC factory bimini top. It is installed on the windshield frame. I asked them about it to make sure it was done correctly, and they replied that they had used a template to mark the screw holes on the frame. The top fits, looks, and works great, and I have not had any problems with the windshield frame or the windshield . I do, however, have to occasionally tighten the screws that hold the frame mounts to the frame itself. Good luck!

BuoyChaser
08-01-2007, 11:08 AM
I have a 2005 ProStar 197. When I bought the boat, I had the dealer install the MC factory bimini top. It is installed on the windshield frame. I asked them about it to make sure it was done correctly, and they replied that they had used a template to mark the screw holes on the frame. The top fits, looks, and works great, and I have not had any problems with the windshield frame or the windshield . I do, however, have to occasionally tighten the screws that hold the frame mounts to the frame itself. Good luck!
Kevin - Would you be able to email me some photos or post some online closeup of the alignment?!? Send me a PM and I'll give you my email - Scott

bdecker
08-03-2007, 08:03 AM
Chaser,

Thanks for the skiing last night, your setup is awesome. You might want to put a quick call into Ward's or Ray's to see if they use a template. That would make the install far less stressful.

Ric
08-03-2007, 09:30 AM
chaser, I thought your boat had a tower? no?

georgea0731
08-06-2007, 09:29 AM
Mines an 04 X7, but we put the 03 bimini on it mounted directly to the windshield. After mounting, we shorted the front poles about 1 1/2 and had to redrill the rear poles to extend them. It made the bimini angle down a little in the front.

BuoyChaser
08-06-2007, 10:35 AM
chaser, I thought your boat had a tower? no?
Ric - No tower, friend has a tower, i thought seriously and almost bought one, but had to hold off, just a bimini this time

BuoyChaser
08-06-2007, 10:37 AM
made the contact with our local dealer, they'll do the install tomorrow...can't wait...will post pictures!!!

BuoyChaser
08-08-2007, 10:40 AM
okay, some questions on getting my bimini mounted...does anyone have the dimensions for their bimini on their 190/197 that is a MC Factory Bimini???

turns out the bimini is too wide for the windshield mount, but i guess the same hardware kit from 2003, works for fiberglass mount for 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007...

mine is labeled 190/197 but the dealer says it is too big for my boat...i heard that the 209 had a bigger bimini, maybe mine was mis-labeled???anyone else have a similiar issue...

what are the measurements on your bimini from attached pictured:
YELLOW to YELLOW ARROW ____
GREEN ARROW to GREEN ARROW (when not attached to boat)

i had a buddy check his dimensions on his 197 (one pictured) and he had 80" YELLOW and 92" GREEN...

Ric
08-08-2007, 11:07 AM
Ric - No tower, friend has a tower, i thought seriously and almost bought one, but had to hold off, just a bimini this time my mistake... I was gonna suggest that I mounted my bimini 100% to the base of the zeroflex tower so that when I remove the tower, and the bases stay on the boat, the bimini can still mount normally..

BuoyChaser
08-08-2007, 11:39 AM
my mistake... I was gonna suggest that I mounted my bimini 100% to the base of the zeroflex tower so that when I remove the tower, and the bases stay on the boat, the bimini can still mount normally..
does anyone know or have the dimensional sheet for where the "tower base feet mount"???that way i can drill through the holes at the same spot...i feel a lot more confident about it now that i don't have to install it in the windshield...

looks like i'm doing the install myself, the dealer claims the Bimini is too large...going to take it to a friends to match it up and see if it truly is WIDER?!?

georgea0731
08-09-2007, 08:53 PM
For your info., my bimini's main legs have to ge pushed in so that they can be attached to the windshield. Bimini's at the lake and I'll try to get measures this weekend. The tag on the bimini has 197/x7 written on it.
Good luck!

clintondf
06-05-2012, 07:07 AM
I bought a used bimini off an 08. 197. Got it home and held it up side to side on my 03 and it seemed like it was about 5" too wide. Called dealer, turns out they are supposed to be slightly wider. You have to attach one side first then pull in the other side to attach it. This is for a deck mount not a windshield mount btw. I was relieved. I thought it was too wide and was going to jave to cut the bows and shorten.

clintondf
06-05-2012, 10:39 PM
I have a question. Once you have the bimini installed on the boat, about how tight do you guys set the adjustable arms on the bimini? Am i supposed to get everything fairly tight and snug or should i leave them a little loose to avoid stressing the mounts in the fiberglass? Right now i have everything fairly snug with just a little bit of freeplay. The biggest concern i have is the center two mounts on the boat. Seems to be the brunt of most of the tension is on those two mounts. Any info would be appreciated. Also, does anyone know if you can buy replacement sets of the little round posts that actually snap into the mounts? The part with the "u" shaped ears? Thanks again!