PDA

View Full Version : Packing Nut Help

SDAhockey21
07-31-2007, 12:26 AM
Ok so here is the story, my buddy (Chaus21), has his boat down for the week. We noticed the steerign was a little tight comign out of a turn so we pulled the floor bla bla bla and greased everythig up really good, fixed that problem. Well while we had the floor pulled I noticed the packing nut needed to be tightened because it was driping about every 20-30 seconds. So as I have done before on my boats before I got dripless, I backed of the nut till it driped and hand tighted. Wait to see if it would drip tighten it a little more wait, then tighten till it would not drip. Then I brought the other nut right put to it to make everything tight. We idled out of the cove and I wasn't geting drips So we stoped and I backed the nut off a little bit well then ot even a 1/4 turn it would drip just sitting in the water, so I just put it 1/8 turn back. But, when we idled again a got like two drips then nothing.... Then I noticed what seemed that the shaft was rubing on the ID of the nut, (noticed little bronze metal flakes). I do not believe I could have messed that up by tightening the nut..right? I think we may have stumbled on a bigger unnoticed problem here regarding shaft alignment. He did get into a spot 2 years ago where his friend dinged the prop on the boat ramp. The dealer said they checked everything, and it was good. Could they have missed soemthing?

Sorry for any misspellings, it has been a long day and I don't want to go back and check everything to make sure its spelled right, thats not important right here and now :)

SDAhockey21
07-31-2007, 12:38 AM
Well anybody got anyhtign yet......

TMCNo1
07-31-2007, 10:28 AM
I would think by what you describe, the packing in the stuffing box has worn or got off center to one side and is rubbing the packing nut. If I were you would remove the old packing and install new packing rope (3 pieces with the ends meeting 120 degrees apart) and then it will self center.

east tx skier
07-31-2007, 10:44 AM
As for drip, I'm sure you know that it shouldn't be dripping unless the engine is running. The post had me a little confused about that.

butter
07-31-2007, 06:18 PM
Agree with TMCNo1 that replacing the wax rope would be the first (cheap) step to take. (3 pcs of wax rope were less than 5 bucks at the dealership last year).

As it sounds like you already suspect, the shaft alignment is likely to blame here. If the shaft is not centered in the log, there will be more shaft pressure against one side of the rope, than the other. As the rope wears out on that side, the shaft would eventually rub on the I.D. of the nut, as you observed.

Depending on how fanatic your friend is about having perfect alignment, you could just leave the alignment alone, and replace the stuffing as a simple fix/finish the season.

To add to East TX's comments, the engine should be running and transmission in gear (shaft turning) to check drip. Sounds from your post that you already know this.