PDA

View Full Version : My hometown on the News again

east tx skier
02-24-2005, 04:46 PM
Well, a guy just opened up on the courthosue (not our courthouse) with an AK47 in Tyler, TX. Pretty crazy around here right now.

Professor
02-24-2005, 04:51 PM
And what is it that comedian Ron White says about Texas and the "express lane?"

tex
02-24-2005, 04:55 PM
Where you in the courthouse? We had an "almost escape" yesterday!

boatwake
02-24-2005, 04:57 PM
Don't those people know about Texas and their capital punishment record.

G-man
02-24-2005, 04:57 PM
Doug Glad weren't involved, whats in the water out there, all the nuts seem headed your way.

east tx skier
02-24-2005, 05:09 PM
Where you in the courthouse? We had an "almost escape" yesterday!

We're a couple of miles down the road in another building behind lots of bullet proof glass. My wife was on her way to a hearing (in yet another courthouse), but had not gotten there yet.

Really horrible. As far as I know, reports are 2 dead and several wounded.

This stuff happens in threes. That's our third by my count. No more, please.

Ryan
02-24-2005, 05:10 PM
My house was on the news too.

I have heard from a number of people I know throughout the country that they saw my house in Huntington Beach after it was hit by a tornado. Of course the news crew showed up after we left. Ok, so technically it was a water spout that came off the ocean, pegged only 5 houses and that's it! But people get a water spout confused with the spicket and garden hose in my front yard, and isn't nearly as dramatic sounding as a TORNADO! Don't worry, he boat's ok!!! Oh yeah, and so is the family.

east tx skier
02-24-2005, 05:10 PM
Don't those people know about Texas and their capital punishment record.

From what I understand, its been handled.

east tx skier
02-24-2005, 05:11 PM
My house was on the news too.

I have heard from a number of people I know throughout the country that they saw my house in Huntington Beach after it was hit by a tornado. Of course the news crew showed up after we left. Ok, so technically it was a water spout that came off the ocean, pegged only 5 houses and that's it! But people get a water spout confused with the spicket and garden hose in my front yard, and isn't nearly as dramatic sounding as a TORNADO! Don't worry, he boat's ok!!! Oh yeah, and so is the family.

I'm glad you and yours are alright.

boatwake
02-24-2005, 05:18 PM
Glad to hear you and your wife are safe. I'm always sorry to hear about these unnecessary tragedies.

milkmania
02-24-2005, 05:22 PM
Well, a guy just opened up on the courthosue (not our courthouse) with an AK47 in Tyler, TX. Pretty crazy around here right now.

glad to know ya'all's ok down there

we'll be thinking of you:)

east tx skier
02-24-2005, 05:26 PM
Much obliged.

MarkP
02-24-2005, 05:32 PM
Yep, stay safe:noface:

milkmania
02-24-2005, 05:34 PM
you're more than welcome

not wanting to publicize these acts of violence, but here's a little information on the shootings.
http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory?id=528884

east tx skier,

this brings up a point I've always wondered about...
what happens if a persons case is judged wrongly? I mean, if a Judge rules against you, do you keep going higher up in appeals process? do you keep going until you run out of money?
We've got a horrible hatfield & mccoy case going on her in my little bitty community, and there's so much corruption in the system (proven corruption) that a person with little or no money has a chance.

just thinkin....sorry to derail the thread

east tx skier
02-24-2005, 05:43 PM
In the criminal justice system, a person has an absolute right to be represented by counsel (and if he can't afford it, one is appointed by the court). That goes for appeal as well. There are three levels of state courts (trial, intermediate appellate, and court of criminal appeals). In death penalty cases, the intermediate appellate court is skipped and the case is automatically appealed to the Court of Criminal Appeals. If constitutional issues are involved the US Supreme Court is also an option.

As for corruption, Appeal (in various forms) would seem the most apparent legal channel to deal with something like that.

BriEOD
02-24-2005, 05:46 PM
Giddeon vs. Wainright

Glad you and the wife are ok Doug!!

lakes Rick
02-24-2005, 05:48 PM
My two sons lived through the Kip Kinkle shooting at Thurston high.. Real sick feeling in the whole community that day.. I had some kids at my home later in the day that had bullets sprayed around them hitting a brick wall behind them.. I saw some real bad kids humbled that day living through that.. Patty's next door neighbor's daughter was hit in the arm with a bullet.. While watching the news, a neighbor kid, Kyle Haus, went wheeling by the camera on a gurney with blood all over him.. ( He is fine).... An event that changed alot of lives....
Kip kinkle shot his parents, then went to school and shot up over 50 rounds before being tackled in the school lunchroom when he was reloading.... His parents home was 3 homes from my friends house..

When I see the Documentary on TV, retracing Kip Kinkles route to school that day ( It a winding road up the McKenzie river I know VERY WELL) it just gives me the creeps...........

east tx skier
02-24-2005, 05:49 PM
Man, that's horrible.

milkmania
02-24-2005, 10:39 PM
I really feel for the child or children in this matter......

http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=domesticNews&storyID=7734694

I got screwed in a child support case, but this is not the answer

Professor
02-24-2005, 10:54 PM
What can you say? This book really has helped me…

When Bad Things Happen to Good People: Twentieth Anniversary Edition, with a New Preface by the Author
by HAROLD S. KUSHNER

milkmania
03-06-2005, 12:38 AM
Be sure and click on the "Police Dash Cam" video!!!

be warned also, graphic!

http://www.kltv.com/Global/story.asp?S=2994393

Leroy
03-06-2005, 01:28 AM
MM; Interesting video, but hardly graphic, maybe I'm hardened. Sad story.

6balls
03-06-2005, 03:22 AM
Ahh Texas....

milkmania
03-06-2005, 10:37 PM
MM; Interesting video, but hardly graphic, maybe I'm hardened. Sad story.

true, I felt that it was hardly graphic also, but I wanted to make sure I didn't get into trouble........................................... ............again:uglyhamme

jimmer2880
03-07-2005, 07:53 AM
Is it me, or did it look like the cops were in each other's line of fire? Like the victim was between 2 cops? Scary stuff - I wouldn't want to be in that situation. Someone's shooting at you, but one of the "Good Guys" is on the other side of the person doing the shooting...

Glad the gunman won't have a chance for parole!

east tx skier
03-07-2005, 12:53 PM
Everyone was in someone's line of fire that day. Business owners along the chase route reported hearing bullet strikes as the guy shot at police while he drove.

jimmer2880
03-07-2005, 02:38 PM
Everyone was in someone's line of fire that day. Business owners along the chase route reported hearing bullet strikes as the guy shot at police while he drove.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not 2nd guessing what the cops did. I'm glad they did what they did. All I was saying was that it had to be scary!

Those guys don't get paid enough!

milkmania
03-23-2005, 01:27 AM
east tx skier, you're back in the headlines:D

Probe Sought of Austin, Texas, Police
By Associated Press

March 22, 2005, 11:54 PM EST

AUSTIN, Texas -- A month after police officers and dispatchers traded e-mails joking about a $1.1 million fire at a nightclub popular among black residents, officials asked the Justice Department to investigate the police department.

A letter from the city manager and police chief to U.S. Attorney Johnny Sutton cited the "unprofessional messages" sent over the department's mobile data computer system during the Feb. 18 fire.

The letter also cited articles last year in the Austin American-Statesman showing officers used force against minorities at higher rates than against whites.

During the fire at the Midtown Live nightclub, 10 police officers and dispatchers traded e-mails that said, among other things, "burn baby, burn" and "I got some extra gasoline if they need it."

"As you know, trust is the cornerstone of building a solid community policing program," the letter states. "These incidents have created tension, and in some instances have eroded our trust within the community. ... An independent review of the Austin Police Department would help the department continue to improve while rebuilding community trust."

Sutton said his office has turned the request to review the department's policies, procedures and practices over to the Justice Department's civil rights division.

The fire was sparked by an electrical short in a restroom ventilator fan. City officials have proposed giving club owners as much as $750,000 to rebuild.