PDA

View Full Version : 3000 mile road trip prep

Roonie's
07-30-2007, 09:25 PM
I am about to embark on a 3000 mile road trip with my MC to bring it to new waters. What are some things I should do to prep it for the travel. I bought locks for everything like the coupler, spare tire, hitch pin so I don't have to worry about it at a hotel in some strange place. Also bought trailer jack and will make sure I have lug wrench fitting my bolts.

Should I tow with tower up or down?

I will tow with cover off.

anything else I am missing?

T Scott
07-30-2007, 09:35 PM
Grease the bearings on the trailer.
Check tire pressure on both tow vehicle and trailer.

Drive safely!! :steering:

victorff
07-30-2007, 09:42 PM
If gas mileage is a concern, tow with an empty tank on the MC.

Roonie's
07-30-2007, 09:46 PM
If gas mileage is a concern, tow with an empty tank on the MC.

Good idea. Gas mileage is a concern.

Roonie's
07-30-2007, 09:47 PM
Grease the bearings on the trailer.
Check tire pressure on both tow vehicle and trailer.

Drive safely!! :steering:

Hopefully I don't need to do this as it is a brand new trailer with under 100 miles on it so far.

Farmer Ted
07-30-2007, 09:52 PM
I am about to embark on a 3000 mile road trip with my MC to bring it to new waters. What are some things I should do to prep it for the travel. I bought locks for everything like the coupler, spare tire, hitch pin so I don't have to worry about it at a hotel in some strange place. Also bought trailer jack and will make sure I have lug wrench fitting my bolts.

make sure you have a good spare, a good jack, and tools
after having 2 blow outs this week, I might start carrying a spare tire (not mounted to a wheel) in case I have a blow out and have to use the spare tire.

Hrkdrivr
07-30-2007, 09:52 PM
Get one of the shipping covers (white) from the dealer and modify it to fit around the tower...just did this on a 900 mile trip w/mine and it kept it clean and dry and no rub marks.

Tower up is fine, but you may want to remove the bimini top and stow in boat or car to keep the cover clean and prevent wind/bug damage.

Wrap the tower in saran wrap (or some other plastic wrap); that way you don't have to clean the bugs off the tower, just unwrap and enjoy!

Hrkdrivr
07-30-2007, 09:53 PM
Oh yeah, congrats on the new boat!!!

TheOneandOnly
07-30-2007, 09:55 PM

Why not tow with the cover on? Isnt the new cover non-damagable to the gel with the strap in the back?

Roonie's
07-30-2007, 09:55 PM
all great ideas. saran wrap that is genius. I knew I could count on you guys for some helpful info.

Roonie's
07-30-2007, 09:57 PM
Why not tow with the cover on? Isnt the new cover non-damagable to the gel with the strap in the back?

Yes it has a great cinching strap sytem in back and no other tie downs for the new cover. I may ask the dealer what they recommend on the new cover. The new cover also fits around the tower nicely with locking clips and the whole thing is waterproof.

milkmania
07-30-2007, 09:59 PM
Wrap the tower in saran wrap (or some other plastic wrap); that way you don't have to clean the bugs off the tower, just unwrap and enjoy!

great idea.....out local walmart carries these stretch wrap things now

http://www.packessentials.com/images/products/Small-Stretch-Wrap.jpg
http://www.packessentials.com/accessories.asp?p=4004

TheOneandOnly
07-30-2007, 10:01 PM
Oh ya i forgot new ones come with that. That is sweet... Nothing like a MC everything is always accounted for

TheOneandOnly
07-30-2007, 10:04 PM
when i went to the wakeboard show the other weekend, they stated each mastercraft comes with the whole white saran wrap that covers the whole boat including the tower. Did you get that when you purchased?

Roonie's
07-30-2007, 10:09 PM
No but maybe I will ask them for one as they are installing the bimini next week before the trip.

JohnE
07-30-2007, 10:40 PM
Remember (or note) that if you are trailering above 65 mph, that you should increase the tire pressure if you're trailer has the goodyear marathon tires. There were several posts and links here about that. I forget the details, but if you are going to trailer at say 70 mph, the recommended cold tire pressure of 65 psi would be increased to 75 psi IIRC.

bigmac
07-30-2007, 10:55 PM
Lug nuts. Either take a 90 ft-lb torque wrench along, or get it checked periodically. At the least, re-torque before you leave, then again about 500 miles later. Improperly torqued lug nuts - too loose or too tight - can lead to losing a wheel when the bolts snap. THEN it's not just a matter of changing a tire. If it's a single axle trailer - all the more reason to make sure about every piece of the running gear.

sand2snow22
07-30-2007, 11:05 PM
all great ideas. saran wrap that is genius. I knew I could count on you guys for some helpful info.

I've found the really low adhesive painters tape works better than saran wrap. You have to tape saran wrap anyway and saran wrap tends to shred at high speed....More expensive, tho....Keep the bimini down in the truck or boat....

Roonie, you heading to Priest? I'll be up there all next week. 8hr tow myself. Don't have a spare or a jack, knock on wood.....

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j55/bryanmclean18/DSC04117.jpg

Roonie's
07-30-2007, 11:42 PM
I've found the really low adhesive painters tape works better than saran wrap. You have to tape saran wrap anyway and saran wrap tends to shred at high speed....More expensive, tho....Keep the bimini down in the truck or boat....

Roonie, you heading to Priest? I'll be up there all next week. 8hr tow myself. Don't have a spare or a jack, knock on wood.....

Yes I decided to break down and haul the boat to Priest. It is about 1450 miles one way and 20 hrs. I was there last weekend and just couldn't stomach my old Sea Ray I/O after experiencing the X2. Couldn't wake surf or any other fun stuff, it was cramped, and the old Sea Ray was a sloth to get out of the hole. I will be there for 3 1/2 weeks. Won't be there until the 11th. I have a matching spare and jack now.

Yes they are the Goodyear Marathon radial tires so thanks for the tip.

shepherd
07-31-2007, 12:24 AM
If I was going that far, I would think about getting a couple hub kits like one of these: http://shop.easternmarine.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=catalog.catalog&categoryID=187

At least one, but if one goes, the other may shortly follow.

sand2snow22
07-31-2007, 12:27 AM
Drive safe.......Only other thing I would suggest is big mud flaps to keep the rock chips down. The first year we got our boat they decided to repave the road on the East side of the Lake, it was the 4th of July and we were still driving on a dirt road. :confused: The boat and trailer took a beating. The larger mud flaps help.......

sand2snow22
07-31-2007, 12:29 AM
Max pressure on my trailer tires is 50 psi, they're currently at 45 psi, should I inflate them more?

onewheat
07-31-2007, 01:45 AM
I'd put them at 50 psi, but that's all.

WAT8415
07-31-2007, 03:36 AM
Look me up if you want to come out to Lake Roosevelt, we will be having a party on the 11th, band and a pig roast.

chudson
07-31-2007, 09:08 AM
Yes it has a great cinching strap sytem in back and no other tie downs for the new cover. I may ask the dealer what they recommend on the new cover. The new cover also fits around the tower nicely with locking clips and the whole thing is waterproof.
If your moving you could use the boat to move some light things and if that happens I'd use the tarp and tighten it down good and tight, it could even help with gas mileage. Heck I'd use the tarp anyway just to keep the nosy nits out during stops!!! :twocents:

TMCNo1
07-31-2007, 11:20 AM
With 11 Florida (1700 mi r/t), 8 Tennessee (850 mi r/t), 1 Arkansas (2100 mi r/t), 3 Georgia (850 mi r/t), reunion trips under our belt among other trips, we have learned to get and carry most everything we would need for the trailer, along with tools to do it with, just in case. Extra boat cover, prop, hub, bearings, lug nuts, Bearing Buddies, studs, brake lines, solid and flexible, brake fluid, spare tire besides the trailer spare as a start.
It only took one bad experience due to another owners problems, stuck out in the middle of nowhere to teach me a lesson. I had what we needed to make his repairs, cause he had nothing with him, not even a pair of pliers. A 12 hour trip to Cypress Gardens turned into 23 1/2 hours, because of trying to find parts 8:30 in the evening, getting a NAPA dealer 30 miles from the breakdown out of bed and chasing more parts the next day in Orlando.

bigmac
07-31-2007, 11:27 AM
If I was going that far, I would think about getting a couple hub kits like one of these: http://shop.easternmarine.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=catalog.catalog&categoryID=187

At least one, but if one goes, the other may shortly follow.Man, for 3000 miles on a single axle trailer, I think at least one extra hub is a really great idea, as well as, obviously, the tools and an appropriate jack. Minnesota is a big boating state,especially in this area. Even a short local drive we'll see at least one boat trailer of one kind or another sitting by the side of the road with the wheel off, either from burned bearings or a wheel that's fallen off from lug nuts snapping.

Of all the things that can screw up a long distance boat tow, running gear is the thing that's going to leave you stuck by the side of the road looking for some kind of shop that sells hubs/tires/bearings, or waiting for a tow truck to haul the trailer to Bud's Repair Shop where Bud will charge you up the wazoo to fix your trailer on short notice. I'd want to be able to fix anything that's likely to break, so I'd be carrying an extra tire, extra hub, extra bearings, jack, tools, torque wrench.

Sounds like a hassle to carry all that stuff, but IMHO trailering 3000 miles in one sitting is a pretty exteme test for a trailer, especially a single axle trailer - when you're talking about a 3500 lb boat on a 3600 lb axle. To keep such a trip as seamless as possible, I'd want to address all the possible contingencies.

Jkelly
07-31-2007, 11:35 AM
I agree, I pull my boat about a hundred miles round trip when we go skiing and I keep a spare tire,hub,bearings, and tools for that trip which is short compared to yours.
Good luck and Gods speed hope you have a great time.

TMCNo1
07-31-2007, 11:40 AM
Man, for 3000 miles on a single axle trailer, I think at least one extra hub is a really great idea, as well as, obviously, the tools and an appropriate jack. Minnesota is a big boating state,especially in this area. Even a short local drive we'll see at least one boat trailer of one kind or another sitting by the side of the road with the wheel off, either from burned bearings or a wheel that's fallen off from lug nuts snapping.

Of all the things that can screw up a long distance boat tow, running gear is the thing that's going to leave you stuck by the side of the road looking for some kind of shop that sells hubs/tires/bearings, or waiting for a tow truck to haul the trailer to Bud's Repair Shop where Bud will charge you up the wazoo to fix your trailer on short notice. I'd want to be able to fix anything that's likely to break, so I'd be carrying an extra tire, extra hub, extra bearings, jack, tools, torque wrench.

Sounds like a hassle to carry all that stuff, but IMHO trailering 3000 miles in one sitting is a pretty exteme test for a trailer, especially a single axle trailer - when you're talking about a 3500 lb boat on a 3600 lb axle. To keep such a trip as seamless as possible, I'd want to address all the possible contingencies.

Our 30,000 miles towing a single axle trailer requires more than a 1/4" drive set and a Mini-Mag light. Being stuck in the middle of a SC swamp on I-95 in the dark is not a happy place to be, especially when it's someone else who has problems and your traveling with them.

Roonie's
07-31-2007, 11:50 AM

The new trailers axle's are rated for 5000 lb torsion axle. I called the dealer to check as I am going for this long of a trip and I was considering trading in my single for a tandem. They reassured me no need for that. They also told me that when they order two boats from Mastercraft they trailer one of them and tow the other behind the flatbed which is a 1000 mile journey from Tennesse and they have never had a problem yet on single or double axle's.

This may sound like a stupid question but what hub and bearings would I get for a replacement? I have no problem ordering an extra, just don't know which one to order. I have the oil bath hubs.

http://shop.easternmarine.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=catalog.catalog&categoryID=187

Jkelly
07-31-2007, 12:37 PM
I found this on MYMC's web site

http://mymastercraft.com/cart_listing.cfm

I hope I got the link right, should be everything you need.

corey
07-31-2007, 01:47 PM
Zach,

I forwarded your email on to Mark in the Service Dept. Your trailer runs oil bath hubs not greased bearings. Pretty much all the advice given on hear is rock solid, like a boy scout ALWAYS BE PREPARED.

Aside from that have a great vacation!!!

bigmac
07-31-2007, 02:08 PM
The new trailers axle's are rated for 5000 lb torsion axle. I called the dealer to check as I am going for this long of a trip and I was considering trading in my single for a tandem. They reassured me no need for that. They also told me that when they order two boats from Mastercraft they trailer one of them and tow the other behind the flatbed which is a 1000 mile journey from Tennesse and they have never had a problem yet on single or double axle's.

This may sound like a stupid question but what hub and bearings would I get for a replacement? I have no problem ordering an extra, just don't know which one to order. I have the oil bath hubs.

http://shop.easternmarine.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=catalog.catalog&categoryID=187Yes. The dealer on my previous boat told there'd be no problem with a single axle trailer. But when the lug nuts snapped and I lost a wheel, I had no option but to call a flatbed tow truck to haul it home - you can limp home on 3 out of 4 wheels, but no chance on 1 out of 2. I was about 10 miles from my house. You have the potential to be 1500 miles from yours.

Rockman
07-31-2007, 02:17 PM
Don't tow with your cover on.

Take your time and listen to your tow vehicle when at different inclines and declines. No sense getting there 30 minutes sooner and then have a $3,000 bill for a new tranny.

Stop frequently to examine both your tow vehicle and your boat. Make any adjustments necessary.

Have a good idea where the next place to stop would be in case something happens (i.e.-car dealer or MC dealer).

Be safe and have fun...;)

Roonie's
07-31-2007, 02:21 PM
Zach,

I forwarded your email on to Mark in the Service Dept. Your trailer runs oil bath hubs not greased bearings. Pretty much all the advice given on hear is rock solid, like a boy scout ALWAYS BE PREPARED.

Aside from that have a great vacation!!!

Thanks Corey I appreciate the advice and feedback and will wait to hear from Mark.

BuoyChaser
08-08-2007, 03:50 PM
spray the fiberglass in the nose down with 303 protectant...even throw a good coat of wax on before if you can...that will help protect the nose from road debris and some stone chips...

if it rains, stop after the rain and reapply the 303 protectant...heck i'd even coat the vinyl inside and everything with 303, will protect from water spotting and uv sun damage...

if you don't have mud flaps on your vehicle, throw some on, just to keep rocks and debris off the bow...

great idea on the SARAN WRAP!!!

Roonie's
08-09-2007, 09:44 PM
Just finished with my first half of the trip. Went 1500 miles past two days. No problems what so ever. Hubs stayed luke warm to the touch whenever I checked them. I used blue tape instead of saran. I went through several heavy storms and the blue tape came off in areas. I will try saran wrap for the ride back. I stayed about 70 mps the whole way. Damn those new X2 are wide. A couple of times it got close to some passing semi's. I put the swim platform on my back seats and tied it down so the seats would have no chance of blowing out. I decided to go coverless the whole way as I didn't want any gel coat marrings. I have a white travel cover used on the new boats so I will retrofit it and use that for ride back. A got a lot of compliments on the boat whenever I stopped places. Some folks had never seen a boat like mine and still recognised the quality and said so.

The only thing that sucked was the gas. Average mpg the whole way was 10.