PDA

View Full Version : The Awful Stink!

TMCNo1
07-30-2007, 08:46 PM
Classic case of CRS! Your gonna laugh at this big dummy!

Friday afternon an awful stink was occuring in my basement. Lynn even commented about it when she came home Friday evening from work. I just let it slide and had come to the conclusion that we had a small leak in our basement from all the rain we've had in the last 5 weeks and it was just some small amount of mold and mildew under the workbench. By Saturday evening the smell was real ripe and I decided to investigate with a flashlight. I even considered the boat had a bad case of flatulance, but! No wet carpet, no wet walls, nothing, then I approached the lawnmower sitting in the center of the basement beside the boat!
We have lived in our house for 34 years and I have always kept the lawnmower in the basement, but have always washed the grass out of the deck and let everything dry before parking it inside. Instead of washing the deck out with water, the last 2 years I always run it with the blades engaged thru a natural area in the back yard covered with pine needles (pine straw to some) and it cleans out any grass inside the deck. I mowed Thursday morning when the grass was wet from rain the night before and forgot to clean out the deck in the pine needles and/or wash it out. That wet grass in the deck started decomposing/fermenting/stinking by midday Friday. What a mess, but it's history now!
Just call me big dummy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:uglyhamme

I'm off to "Notes to self thread"!

T Scott
07-30-2007, 08:48 PM
Big Dummy!!!

Slinkyredfoot
07-30-2007, 08:50 PM
As Fred Sanford once said "Ya big dummy";)

Slinkyredfoot
07-30-2007, 08:59 PM
Oh one last thing Harold, how in the h..l do you get your boat and lawnmower in your basement. I have tried to get my boat down there but the doorway is not big enough. This is why I built another garage????

suedv
07-30-2007, 09:18 PM
Oh one last thing Harold, how in the h..l do you get your boat and lawnmower in your basement. I have tried to get my boat down there but the doorway is not big enough. This is why I built another garage????

Must have a walk-in basement where it's excavated lower one side. :)

TMCNo1
07-30-2007, 09:29 PM

9' x 7' basement door. See the tracks beside the van? Lawnmower tracks from protectant on the tires'

25247!

TX.X-30 fan
07-30-2007, 09:43 PM
9' x 7' basement door. See the tracks beside the van? Lawnmower tracks from protectant on the tires'

25247!

Seriously #1 there is help for this you just have to admit you have a problem. :D :D

BeavenX5
07-30-2007, 10:08 PM
You even have MasterCraft lettered tires on your van.... Wow.:headbang:

ProTour X9
07-30-2007, 10:14 PM
I'll help you out.

JohnE
07-30-2007, 10:26 PM
Harold, YOU forgot to clean something!? What's next? First the bottom of the lawnmower. Next thing you know the trailer will be spotted. Let's catch this disease before the teak is affected!;) :D

BTW, been there before. Thought it was the trash until that was emptied and the smell remained.:o

Slinkyredfoot
07-30-2007, 10:39 PM
Seriously #1 there is help for this you just have to admit you have a problem. :D :D

No kiddin', you could eat bacon and eggs off of his basement floor if there wasn't lawnmower protectant all over the place....he just doesn't seem to be all there???:D

Monte
07-30-2007, 11:38 PM
I never woulda thunk it harold.....:eek3: :rant: :noface: :uglyhamme

Leroy
07-30-2007, 11:50 PM
I've done the same with our mower in the garage, call me dummy also!

Doug G
07-31-2007, 12:08 AM
So when you cut the grass with the protectant on the tires does that leave tracks of dead spots from the protectant ? I assume you cut in opposing directions every other time? I bet the EPA would qualify your place as a superfund site with all the protectant and cleaner run off!!!!

BTW ... you "let it slide" what's this world coming to?!?!?!? next thing your gonna tell me you pulled the boat out without wiping it down :o

TMCNo1
07-31-2007, 12:41 AM
So when you cut the grass with the protectant on the tires does that leave tracks of dead spots from the protectant ? I assume you cut in opposing directions every other time? I bet the EPA would qualify your place as a superfund site with all the protectant and cleaner run off!!!!

BTW ... you "let it slide" what's this world coming to?!?!?!? next thing your gonna tell me you pulled the boat out without wiping it down :o

Not that I know of, but it sure makes it easy to clean up after mowing. Wash everthing off with water hose, blow water off with leaf blower, wipe dry, let it set in the hot sun to dry, apply protectant to tires/ black plastic, wipe again with damp towel and put to bed.

G-man
07-31-2007, 11:45 AM
My edger has had 4 oil changes in 20 years and it runs great just doesn't look great. I have to draw the line somewhere. First clean the boat then the cars after that I don't care. But if Harold ever comes to Texas I have a few projects for him.

TMCNo1
07-31-2007, 11:52 AM
My edger has had 4 oil chages in 20 years and it runs great just doesn't look great. I have to draw the line somewhere. First clean the boat then the cars after that I don't care. But if Harold ever comes to Texas I have a few projects for him.
:uglyhamme
You got it, but I'll show/tell you my secrets, but you'll have to do the work, practice makes perfect, ya know! Platform Refinishing 101 worked for you, now for the other things!

I'm thinking about writing a book! I will be bigger than Harry Popper! 1st book in the series will be, "Horrors of the Lawnmower Grinch"!

peason
07-31-2007, 12:02 PM
I just bet you weren't working on a methane project to run the MC in case gasoline goes to $4.00/gallon?

G-man
07-31-2007, 12:15 PM
Harold do a autobiography titled Stranger Than Fiction, one chapter on how to do through a drive thru without a car.

TMCNo1
07-31-2007, 03:27 PM
Harold do a autobiography titled Stranger Than Fiction, one chapter on how to do through a drive thru without a car.

There is nothing more fun, than walking thru to drive-thru window at Wendy's in Loudon, TN with 25 of your closest MasterCraft friends and having to order at the pickup window cause we couldn't set off the sensor at the "Order Here" speaker.
Did the same thing in Cypress Gardens with over 30 people and held up traffic at the window for 1/2 hour, then went inside and eat. Some woman got upset with us and tried to run over Skidog with her car, then when inside, several of us started swapping T-shirts right there in the dining room. The Wendy's employees were LTAO, thought we were cool, yea right! Most of us were sober!

TMCNo1
07-31-2007, 07:09 PM
Slinky, here's a better shot. Now you can see why when we walked by the mower the smell was so strong,

Slinkyredfoot
07-31-2007, 07:22 PM
Slinky, here's a better shot. Now you can see why when we walked by the mower the smell was so strong,

Yea now I get it Harold, you got a drive in/walk out basement that is nicer than my entire house. I thought I was weird but you take the cake bud...everything in its place and a place for everything...you still seem to me to be a half bubble out of plumb.....;) Is that lawnmower ever used or is it just a display piece?

TMCNo1
07-31-2007, 08:35 PM
Yea now I get it Harold, you got a drive in/walk out basement that is nicer than my entire house. I thought I was weird but you take the cake bud...everything in its place and a place for everything...you still seem to me to be a half bubble out of plumb.....;) Is that lawnmower ever used or is it just a display piece?

8 years old, and runs like she's in heat!

ski_king
07-31-2007, 08:38 PM
I think I see a spot you missed on your left rear tractor tire.

TMCNo1
07-31-2007, 08:39 PM
Like I said,:uglyhamme

trickskier
07-31-2007, 08:42 PM
#1 are you sure that smell isn't coming from an open can of Tarnite???

Slinkyredfoot
07-31-2007, 09:25 PM
Heres my JD..#1.. '86 with a 20bhp LX790 motor... I wish I had your beautiful paint job #1..
my garage is in the distance, dirt floor, groundhogs, and the like....very functional if ya know what I mean....

TMCNo1
07-31-2007, 09:47 PM
Heres my JD..#1.. '86 with a 20bhp LX790 motor... I wish I had your beautiful paint job #1..
my garage is in the distance, dirt floor, groundhogs, and the like....very functional if ya know what I mean....

They just keep on running, don't they and that's what matters.:D

TMCNo1
08-01-2007, 11:12 AM
#1 are you sure that smell isn't coming from an open can of Tarnite???

You may have point there, that stuff does stank!:rolleyes:

chudson
08-01-2007, 11:51 AM
The 316, it's a great mower. I especially like the spinner knob, steer with one hand and hold a cocktail with the other. This spring I got a 757 JD zero turn with a 60" deck and it,s so hard to steer and hold a cocktail!!!!
It does have a drink holder though!!! :D
Stole this pic from the JD web site I'll post one of mine sometime!!!

trickskier
08-01-2007, 11:53 AM
You may have point there, that stuff does stank!:rolleyes:
But, not half as bad as rotting grass...................8p

Slinkyredfoot
08-01-2007, 02:07 PM
The 316, it's a great mower. I especially like the spinner knob, steer with one hand and hold a cocktail with the other. This spring I got a 757 JD zero turn with a 60" deck and it,s so hard to steer and hold a cocktail!!!!
It does have a drink holder though!!! :D
Stole this pic from the JD web site I'll post one of mine sometime!!!

Yes the spinner knob does facilitate the ability to hold a cocktail in the other hand, however, since my suspension is so stiff, I end up spilling it all over myself...:D