PDA

View Full Version : points and condenser

ScottM
07-30-2007, 01:29 PM
I have an 87 prostar 190 with a 351 windsor. Does anybody know what the NAPA or other parts numbers are for the Points, condensor, Cap and Rotor are?

Normally I would order from skidim but I'm at my cottage in Canada and the time delay is too long.

Thanks,

Scott

east tx skier
07-30-2007, 01:30 PM
Hi Scott. I can't help you with the points part, but the cap and rotor part numbers are here (http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showpost.php?p=166941&postcount=33).

ScottM
07-30-2007, 01:43 PM
Thanks. That stuff is really helpful. Unfortunately The points is the thing that needs to be changed. Anybody else know the number?

Scott

Slinkyredfoot
07-30-2007, 01:50 PM
Thanks. That stuff is really helpful. Unfortunately The points is the thing that needs to be changed. Anybody else know the number?

Scott
I do, but it will have to wait until I get home this evening, I have all of this info written down in my owners manual...

Dan K
07-30-2007, 01:57 PM

Scott

Scott if your in a pinch I would try to sand them and see it that helps. always used an emory board and just put it between the points and worked it back and forth until they were nice and smooth.
I switch over to electronic a while ago and have never looked back, sorry I don;t have the numbers for you.

Jkelly
07-30-2007, 02:04 PM
Another trick is to use a piece of white paper to polish the points. slide the paper in between the points just like the emory board. This will remove contamination on the points I was taught this trick by a old man on small engines. It my get you out of a bind.

Slinkyredfoot
07-30-2007, 06:44 PM

Scott

Scott, my 351 Windsor used Sorensen AL26MX points and a A-55 condensor.....I am sure any major auto parts store could cross these part #s over to whatever they carry....I changed my to solid state last year and have not been happier....hope this helps you;)

Slinkyredfoot
07-30-2007, 06:45 PM

Scott

Scott, my 351 Windsor used Sorensen AL26MX points and a A-55 condensor.....I am sure any major auto parts store could cross these part #s over to whatever they carry....I changed my to solid state last year and have not been happier....hope this helps you;)

east tx skier
07-30-2007, 06:50 PM

I've had great success in getting NAPA to cross reference parts. Most of the guys at the other places look at me like a deer in the headlights when I say it's for a boat. The NAPA guys get excited and break out the book.

ScottM
07-30-2007, 10:41 PM
I did sand the points and regap them and the boat is running amazing. Nevertheless I will take those part numbers and get new ones tomorrow.

Thanks all

Scott

whitedog
07-30-2007, 10:50 PM
Just changed mine. Points part # is CS720A. Could not find the box for the condenser.

Ask them to look in the marine book. Indmar engine 351W with prestolite screw down cap. NAPA should be able to get the #. They may not have MC information.

Slinkyredfoot
07-30-2007, 11:00 PM
Oh a coupe of other things you might want to know, point gap is set to
.018" and proper pont dwell is 24-29 degrees...It is fun to know this kind of stuff you know...never know when someone might ask...