PDA

View Full Version : Steering Adjustment??

mdthacker
07-30-2007, 06:51 AM
The steering on my 2002 X-7 was very stiff since I bought it 11 months ago. I just replaced the steering cable last week and had it on the water for the first time yesterday. What a difference!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My question is this, when going straight, my steering wheel is not centered. I can easily adjust this by removing the steering wheel and bolting it back on in the correct attitude. BUT, when going straight, if I let go of the steering wheel, the boat will veer to the right fairly sharply. I as assuming that this is not normal. Any idea how to adjust for that?

bigmac
07-30-2007, 08:34 AM
http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showpost.php?p=107070&postcount=12

mdthacker
07-30-2007, 09:20 AM
Thanks for the pointer.

So just to test the level of "normal-ness" of my boat. If you let go of the steering wheel, better be ready to grab on to something as the boat swings hard right is normal? It will go to the right rather strongly. If this is normal, that's ok, just trying to validate.

bigmac
07-30-2007, 10:05 AM
Thanks for the pointer.

So just to test the level of "normal-ness" of my boat. If you let go of the steering wheel, better be ready to grab on to something as the boat swings hard right is normal? It will go to the right rather strongly. If this is normal, that's ok, just trying to validate.Yes, that's pretty normal. On my boat, with the original rudder, it did the same. I put a new-model rudder on it and now it's absolutely dead neutral. The problem with that is that at speeds over about 35 mph, the boat "hunts" a little in smooth water and that provides a little bit of unsettline "wobble". I think that's the price to pay for a completely neutral rudder, my plan eventually is to file a little bit off the trailing edge when I get a chance to give it a little right pull.