PDA

View Full Version : Green marine fuel whistle

lav
07-29-2007, 11:30 PM
anybody tried this out says it whistles just before overflowonly handfull of feedback on the site http://www.greenmarineproducts.com/Product.htm

lav
07-29-2007, 11:40 PM
Green Marine Products was founded because of the need to safely and cleanly enjoy boating and sailing without
negatively affecting the environment. Our goal is to make products available that will make this possible.

Tens of thousands of boats are fueled daily and each time up to 1/2 gallon of fuel is spilled into our waterways. For
the most part this environmental disaster goes unreported and unchecked. If you were to add up all these little
spills, in one year it would be greater than the disastrous spill created by the Exxon Valdez.

Disturbed by the oily sheen on the water, some boaters may spray a liquid soap on the slick to breakup the mess.
This is actually more harmful to the environment as the soap carries the oil to the sediment at the bottom where it
builds up year after year. Eventually, this sediment kills all bottom dwelling life, not to mention the expense involved
with dredging and handling contaminated sediment.

Until now, controlling these fuel spills has been difficult. Green Marine Products, produces a simple and inexpensive
fuel spill prevention device to warn that the fuel tank is full without spilling a single drop of fuel.

With the "Fuel Whistle", there will be no more guesswork , no waste, no pollution, and no more violations with the
associated fines. In this manner, every boater can be a partner in protecting our precious resources.

bigmac
07-30-2007, 10:31 AM
I had one of those fuel whistles on my previous boat, which had an external vent. It worked OK, but listening to the sound of the gas flowing in will also change pitch and I can gauge that sound pretty accurately on this MasterCraft, enough to stop the flow before it spills back without the need of putting a whistle in and finding some place to screw it to the hull.

The key IMHO is to concede leaving the tank a gallon or two short of full rather than trying to fill it to the nuts and spill a half gallon into the lake and down the side of your boat. A lot of guys leave the key on while filling the boat and watch the gas gauge, stopping when it hits full.

shepherd
07-30-2007, 11:00 AM

Ric
07-30-2007, 11:06 AM
never used the whistle. Have had better luck lately with the redneck technique of having people stand on the starboard stern while I fill as it creates a bubble on the fill tube side of the tank.. Have not spewed fuel yet doing it this way,,.... cannot tell you why, but it works.

same thing at the gas station, I grabbed a decent little rock, rolled the port side trailer wheel up onto it, tilting the boat a bit and voila, no spewage!

VERY Redneck, I know, but it works

TMCNo1
07-30-2007, 11:33 AM
The tough part (for me at least) is knowing when your tank is only a gallon or two from full.

I use the "ear-to-filler" technique too, but sometimes you can't hear when you're at the gas station with loud traffic going by. I just wrap a towel around the filler/vent; in case there is some overflow the towel catches it. I wonder if I'd be able to hear this whistle thing?

And I thought I was the only one who did that!
WOW, and it's so low-tech redneck, but it always works!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have always wondered though, if you get gas in your ear, would you hear a explosion quicker?:rolleyes: :D

trickskier
07-30-2007, 11:35 AM
I take the plastic cover that goes to the bilge plug off so that I can see my gas tank as I am filling it.

shepherd
07-30-2007, 11:37 AM
---------------------------

shepherd
07-30-2007, 11:41 AM

TMCNo1
07-30-2007, 11:59 AM
I worry more about the gasoline fumes I'm inhaling with my face so close.

And in your case No1, if flames shoot out of your ears whenever you get angry (like if a passing car splashes mud on your trailer), this method could be VERY dangerous!

Maybe the mud would put out the fire!

I'll never forget the time Ron went to the lake with the '91 Crimson Red Metalflake 454 PS190 and we were about 5 minutes behind him at the ramp. On his way to the lake, on the ramp from 52N to I-40 East on the way to Belews, someone had dropped a couple quarts of new motor oil out of the back of a truck or something and he couldn't avoid them and hit them with his trailer tires. When the trailer tires ran over them they exploded and oil went all over his trailer and the bottom of the boat. I have never seen him so mad! He just backed the trailer in and unloaded the boat and it looked like the Exxon Valdeze had just ran aground at Carolina Marina. It took him days to clean everything up once he got home. Then 4 weeks later was when he hooked a stump with his front fin while idling thru the campgrounds and it split the hull behind the fin and the boat just about sunk before he could get it loaded. That boat was haunted.