PDA

View Full Version : Float switch replacement for '00 X-Star?

mattlee78
07-28-2007, 10:23 PM
Does anyone know how to replace the float switch on an '00 X-Star? I'm pretty sure my float switch is broken, and I'd like to replace it. The problem is I don't know how to remove it without cutting wires. The float switch is a little black plastic block near the bilge pump, and the wires coming off the switch go under the gas tank and then off somewhere else, presumably up to the dashboard panel somewhere. That wire is wedged really good under the gas tank; is that the normal configuration?

Thanks in advance for any advice. I need to get this thing fixed soon, it's already caused me some expensive repairs when the boat flooded 2 months ago...

TMCNo1
07-28-2007, 10:42 PM
Regardless, to replace the float switch or the whole pump you will have to cut the wires and you can solder them back together and use waterproof shrink wrap.

bigmac
07-28-2007, 11:00 PM
Or you can use waterproof wire nuts (http://cgi.ebay.com/Dryconn-Red-Waterproof-Wire-Nut-Connectors-Direct-Bury_W0QQitemZ220132491864QQcmdZViewItem). Most hardware stores will have them.

http://i15.ebayimg.com/04/i/000/77/43/4dd7_2.JPG

JimN
07-28-2007, 11:05 PM
Or, you could look farther back on the harness and locate the two Deutsch connectors (black or gray plastic, polarized) and unplug the one for the float switch. In 2000, they weren't using butt connectors.

JimN
07-28-2007, 11:06 PM
Wire nuts- weatherproof or otherwise, should not be used in a boat, especially the bilge.

bigmac
07-28-2007, 11:15 PM
Wire nuts- weatherproof or otherwise, should not be used in a boat, especially the bilge.

...the reason being....?

edit: Never mind...I see. Silicone-sealed marine-grade shrink tubing. Got it.

mattlee78
07-29-2007, 12:16 AM
Thanks guys, I'll look for that connector. If I have to cut the wires, is it safe to solder right there in the bilge? It's literally surrounded by the gas tank, I guess I just have to be careful. It's going to be a pain in the butt to fix this through that little round access panel...

JimN
07-29-2007, 12:47 AM
Wire nuts can and do fall off due to vibration and after proving to my 17 year-old know-it-all installer that crimp caps make a stronger connection than wire nuts, the arcing from loose wires make boat go boom. I have no problem with wire nuts in a building but not in a car, truck or boat, even the weatherproof ones.

Until they used the Deutsch connectors, butt connectors were the norm. Personally, I think bare, unsealed butt connectors shouldn't be used in boats but just about every company has used them and they tend to last for years.

JimN
07-29-2007, 01:04 AM
If you actually have to cut the wires, go to NAPA and buy some crimp-n-seal butt connectors. You crimp them on and use a heat gun to seal them, by way of a temperature-activated cement. Make sure the wire is clean and dry. Other than that, you should be OK.

bigmac
07-29-2007, 06:00 PM
Wire nuts can and do fall off due to vibration and after proving to my 17 year-old know-it-all installer that crimp caps make a stronger connection than wire nuts, the arcing from loose wires make boat go boom. I have no problem with wire nuts in a building but not in a car, truck or boat, even the weatherproof ones.

Until they used the Deutsch connectors, butt connectors were the norm. Personally, I think bare, unsealed butt connectors shouldn't be used in boats but just about every company has used them and they tend to last for years.

Of course, the marine surveyor web site I saw that confirmed no wire nuts ALSO said absolutely no plastic through-hull fittings (my raw water intake is) and every through hull absolutely has to have a seacock (mine raw water intake doesn't).

Apparently even MasterCraft sees some wiggle room in some of those absolute no-no's in marine construction.

JimN
07-29-2007, 06:50 PM
Your raw water intake is plastic? When did they change from bronze/brass?

Farmer Ted
07-29-2007, 07:21 PM
Your raw water intake is plastic? When did they change from bronze/brass?

I'm pretty sure mine is plastic as well, the grate is metal but the hose connects to a white fitting

bigmac
07-29-2007, 08:38 PM
Your raw water intake is plastic? When did they change from bronze/brass?Sometime before the 2004 model year, apparently.