PDA

View Full Version : Security or alarm systems for boats?

JerryW
07-28-2007, 01:13 PM
Does anyone know if there are security or alarm systems suitable for use on a boat? Our X-9 stays on a lift under a covered dock, and has been "broken into" twice. Fortunately the boat was not damaged, only stuff on the boat taken. I was thinking of putting in a car alarm, and putting sensors on all the hatches, observers seat, and bow seat cushions, so that if any of them were removed or opened the alarm would go off, and hopefully scare off the theives. Also thinking about motion sensor lights on the dock, aimed at the boat.

Anyone ever done anything like this, or have any suggestions?

JimN
07-28-2007, 01:49 PM
Does your house have a security system? If it's a newer system, you can possibly add some devices and if you can, you might be able you use wireless motion sensors. If not, you can use a car alarm but it needs to be completely hidden, properly wired and completely free of falsing. If it's constantly going off, nobody will shed a tear if someone breaks in again, other than you. I would stay away from motion sensing alarms since they are made to have a metal car body and frame around them, which basically contains the energy. Water and objects moving under a boat can make a motion sensing alarm trigger and unless the alarm can be set to trigger only when two or more sensors trip, it's going to annoy a lot of people.

Motion sensing lights on the dock can help a lot. No thief wants to be seen clearly while they're trying to make a heist.

justinlkgb
07-29-2007, 11:45 AM
maybe could try putting the motion light in the boat house or lift to minimize falsing around the moving water.
What is being Stolen?
How about a watchdog???:D :D

JimN
07-29-2007, 12:12 PM
If you want to disable the ignition system, they'll have a hard time rowing faster than another boat. You can kill the starter, too- just make it look like there's nothing different. If it won't crank, they aren't gonna push start it, that's for sure.

I was referring to "Radar" motion sensors in car alarms, not for lights. Just make sure the light is out of their reach. If they can sneak up on it or get to it quickly, it won't do any good to have a light down there.

River Rat
07-29-2007, 02:37 PM
I copyed this from another tread, this guy just had his broke into. If you want to find out more details go to GCWA.com where you can look him up

"Originally posted by WhatitDoes

There are alarms that use microwave/radar that are great for jeeps or convertables. You can even leave the windows down and if someone sticks their hand in it will give a warning chirp and eventually go off. They also have microwave/radar sensors that can be added to pre-existing alarms.

My boat alarm has one as well as the standard shock sensor. For the last week I've been using a baby monitor in the boat....works amazingly well. "

JerryW
07-29-2007, 08:35 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. The first time they got amps, speakers, jackets, sunglasses, CD's - $1500 worth in all. This time it was two good jackets, some CD's and some sun tan lotion, about $250 to replace. Not enough to put in an insurance claim, as it's less than the insurance deductable.

The boat is on a lift, and the lift is locked tight to the dock, so they move in unison. I was thinking of motion sensor lights on the inside of the roof, pointing at the boat. They would be too high to reach unless you had a ladder or threw something at them to break the lights. One problem is that racoons and otters come up on the dock at night, and might set the lights off as well. I don't think there is any fool proof system, but at least some light and or noise might scare the theives away.

Anyone got any recommendations on a good auto alarm system that I can try and adapt?

fintek9
07-30-2007, 03:55 PM
stupid kids doing stupid stuff! no care for others property....
a friend two yrs ago left his boards on his rack over night, next morning
found that all were gone!! RACKS included!!!!!!!!!F'rs....