PDA

View Full Version : I don't believe this

pkskier
07-27-2007, 03:14 PM
My buddy that I ski with owns a 1999 Bu, last friday he call me on my way to the lake and told we would have to use my boat all weekend (i know- what a shame) because his bilge was full of oil and his engine wasn't. Monday he took it to the bu dealer and after they had a chance to look at it was discovered that the oil pan had rusted through. This boat is only 8 years old and has never had very much if any water in it. What are they making oil pans out of now. Of course I can't let it rest seeing that I have a 20 year old MC and not problem with the oil pan or anything else as far as that goes. I have been giving him hell all week.

TMCNo1
07-27-2007, 03:23 PM
Bilge beetles, that it, bilge beatles, they will eat a hole in a oil pan in a minute. Terminex has beetle bombs you can set off in the bilge, he keeps the boat covered for 8 more years and they will all be gone.

Monte
07-27-2007, 03:24 PM
I bet that is one Hell of a mess.......

ski_king
07-27-2007, 03:26 PM
I don't think this is a MC/BU thing.

Our older boats have the high quality Ford engines. The newer boats have that generic low quality bowtie engine in them.

:popcorn: :popcorn:

milkmania
07-27-2007, 03:27 PM

Our older boats have the high quality Ford engines. The newer boats have that generic low quality bowtie engine in them.

oh no you din't!!!!

shepherd
07-27-2007, 03:28 PM
Yes, but doesn't his boat have an Indmar engine??? :rolleyes:

I have been giving him hell all week.

What are friends for?! 8p ;)

Monte
07-27-2007, 03:28 PM

Quite a can of worms you just opened there;) I like it:D

pkskier
07-27-2007, 03:32 PM
Shepard - I think it is a Mercury engine.

shepherd
07-27-2007, 03:35 PM
Hmmm, I stand corrected. I thought Bu used Indmars in '99. Either way, it's not a "Bu" engine.

shepherd
07-27-2007, 03:36 PM
Bilge beetles, that it, bilge beatles, they will eat a hole in a oil pan in a minute. Terminex has beetle bombs you can set off in the bilge, he keeps the boat covered for 8 more years and they will all be gone.

Harold, these nice men want to speak with you! :o

TX.X-30 fan
07-27-2007, 03:40 PM

:popcorn: :

Take that!!! :mad: :D :D

fintek9
07-27-2007, 05:05 PM
I pitty you foolyou don't talk about the bowtie like that!!!

JohnnyB
07-27-2007, 05:08 PM
Shepard - I think it is a Mercury engine.

I believe pkskier is correct that 'bu runs Mercruiser engines. One of my ski buddies is a former mercruiser tech which is why he went 'bu

BriEOD
07-27-2007, 05:18 PM

I'm with Denny. Pro-Ford here. F-Series truck is the #1 selling vehicle on the planet for a reason...that is a fact.

CoFooter
07-27-2007, 06:08 PM
Fy Father in Law has an 89 Marlin Skier (remember those) with a mercruiser, and had the same thing happen and few years ago. Its an easy fix but you have to pull the whole engine to get to it.

JohnnyB
07-27-2007, 06:10 PM
So, to replace the oil pan, did he have to pull the engine??? Probably not cheap:eek:

shepherd
07-27-2007, 06:16 PM
I believe pkskier is correct that 'bu runs Mercruiser engines. One of my ski buddies is a former mercruiser tech which is why he went 'bu

I'm sure pkskier knows better than me because I haven't seen his buddy's boat and he has. But I did do a search for 1999 Malibus on boattrader and they all claim to have Indmar Monsoon engines. I'm just saying...

JohnnyB
07-27-2007, 06:37 PM
I'm sure pkskier knows better than me because I haven't seen his buddy's boat and he has. But I did do a search for 1999 Malibus on boattrader and they all claim to have Indmar Monsoon engines. I'm just saying...

Ahh yes, thanks Shep! My memory is getting better.......my buddy has a Black Scorpion in his '99 which was an odd option. Cheating a bit because I CRS, per the boat buyers guide, "the base indmar 310hp, optional engines Indmar Monsoon 325hp and MerCruiser (Various)."

Upper Michigan Prostar190
07-27-2007, 07:13 PM

This is like watching a fox sneak into a hen house, but the hen house is filled with farmers. :popcorn: :popcorn:

07-27-2007, 07:18 PM
I'm with Denny. Pro-Ford here. F-Series truck is the #1 selling vehicle on the planet for a reason...that is a fact.
Ooo! This is gettin good! he had a mod on his side, maybe the public flogging wont be too bad.....

UMP has to whip a little gas on here just for fun....Bri, I dont have a preference either way Ford or GM, so I could care less. but for conversation sake, the F150 name plate sells more, but if you combine the GMC sierra and the Chevy Silverado sales, which are built on the very same assembly line with different badging, they outsell Ford. Just sayin....

Oooo, did I stir that pot????:o :confused:

TX.X-30 fan
07-27-2007, 07:24 PM
Ooo! This is gettin good! he had a mod on his side, maybe the public flogging wont be too bad.....

UMP has to whip a little gas on here just for fun....Bri, I dont have a preference either way Ford or GM, so I could care less. but for conversation sake, the F150 name plate sells more, but if you combine the GMC sierra and the Chevy Silverado sales, which are built on the very same assembly line with different badging, they outsell Ford. Just sayin....

Oooo, did I stir that pot????

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh yeah. Very subtle there UMP. :banana:

Ford diesels: 6.0 :noface: 6.4 :noface:

Duramax diesel: :woohoo:

07-27-2007, 07:32 PM
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh yeah. Very subtle there UMP. :banana: :banana:
Dang! you mean I wasnt sauve & deboner in the way I presented that fact??:confused:

I gotta start going back to that "class" class.

BrianM
07-27-2007, 07:36 PM
Bu still has the Mer Black Scorpion as an option. Very few opt for it though more money, less horsepower, less warranty.

TX.X-30 fan
07-27-2007, 07:42 PM
Dang! you mean I wasnt sauve & deboner in the way I presented that fact??:confused:

I gotta start going back to that "class" class.

I thought you were brilliant. ;) my northern compadre.

shepherd
07-27-2007, 07:51 PM
Ahh yes, thanks Shep! My memory is getting better.......my buddy has a Black Scorpion in his '99 which was an odd option. Cheating a bit because I CRS, per the boat buyers guide, "the base indmar 310hp, optional engines Indmar Monsoon 325hp and MerCruiser (Various)."

No problem... either way, they both start out as "bowtie" products and aren't "Bu" products.

As for Ford vs. Chevy.... they're ALL crap!

It's Friday... Time for a Drink! :friday:

BriEOD
07-27-2007, 08:08 PM

So, is this UMP just talking, or can you cite a credible source? BTW, Hoosier Bob is not a credible source on this issue.

07-27-2007, 08:19 PM
So, is this UMP just talking, or can you cite a credible source? BTW, Hoosier Bob is not a credible source on this issue.
Which leads me to ask the question: Just what issues IS Hoosier Bob a credible source on?? :confused: :confused: Coors light? owning too many motorcycles? He is quite knowledgable about Fred Ward, I do know that.

Actually Bri, I am just repeating what the General tells us. Personally, I havent verified those numbers, but I got a feeling the General's legal dept wouldnt want them to give us that propaganda unless it was accurate. :twocents:

07-27-2007, 08:23 PM
ya know....this whole Ford-Chevy thing is outta control. Its all fun and games until someone loses an eye. Personally, I wont be happy until they start putting Toyota engines in our boats. ZING! woo hoo!! that oughta get some reaction here!!!! WFT??

Can you say, STIR THE POT!

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

shepherd
07-27-2007, 08:25 PM
Why is it that Toyota keeps winning the NASCAR Craftsman Truck races, but they can't qualify for the Cup races??? :confused:

Monte
07-27-2007, 08:44 PM
Why is it that Toyota keeps winning the NASCAR Craftsman Truck races, but they can't qualify for the Cup races??? :confused:

Two words! Michael Waltrip;)

ski_king
07-27-2007, 09:43 PM

UMP, what make of truck do you own?

BriEOD
07-27-2007, 09:49 PM
Which leads me to ask the question: Just what issues IS Hoosier Bob a credible source on?? :confused: :confused: Coors light? owning too many motorcycles? He is quite knowledgable about Fred Ward, I do know that.

Actually Bri, I am just repeating what the General tells us. Personally, I havent verified those numbers, but I got a feeling the General's legal dept wouldnt want them to give us that propaganda unless it was accurate. :twocents:
All kidding aside, it is an astute point UMP and what follows is for your own edification. I did a search using Google and read an article on Edmunds and Popular Mechanics which both stated if you counted Chevrolet and GM 1500 trucks the total would be close to F-150 sales. However, neither article opined that the agregate total would exceed F-150 sales. That said, the proof is in the pudding and we would need to see actual figures from Ford and GM.

I agree with you though, I hope they both continue to outsell Toyota and Nissan. Based on the lack of heavy duty trucks from Toyota and Nissan (250/350, etc), I would say the American makers have the truck market cornered pretty well.

UMP Toyota put a motor in the Epic boat if I am not mistaken (don't quote me on this).

07-27-2007, 09:54 PM
All kidding aside, it is an astute point UMP and what follows is for your own edification. I did a search using Google and read an article on Edmunds and Popular Mechanics which both stated if you counted Chevrolet and GM 1500 trucks the total would be close to F-150 sales. However, neither article opined that the agregate total would exceed F-150 sales. That said, the proof is in the pudding and we would need to see actual figures from Ford and GM.

I agree with you though, I hope they both continue to outsell Toyota and Nissan. Based on the lack of heavy duty trucks from Toyota and Nissan (250/350, etc), I would say the American makers have the truck market cornered pretty well.

UMP Toyota put a motor in the Epic boat if I am not mistaken (don't quote me on this).

A good source would be "the automotive news" which is a independant publication. Interesting stuff!

ski_king
07-27-2007, 10:01 PM
....Toyota put a motor in the Epic boat if I am not mistaken (don't quote me on this).
Actually it was known as Toyota Epic Boats, Toyota had the hulls built by Maritech, a Florida boat company that makes bass boats. The engine was a Toyota/Lexus V8, marinized in Japan.

They never interested me much, they only made those funny inboards where the engine was mounted in the back orf the boat backwards. Who would ever want a boat like that?:popcorn: :popcorn:

07-27-2007, 10:03 PM
UMP, what make of truck do you own?
Ooo, we cant let em in on that! that would spoil all the fun!!:D

ski_king
07-27-2007, 10:16 PM
They never interested me much, they only made those funny inboards where the engine was mounted in the back orf the boat backwards. Who would ever want a boat like that?:popcorn: :popcorn:

Before somebody corrects me, I see where they did make a direct drive boat................

shepherd
07-27-2007, 10:17 PM
Two words! Michael Waltrip;)

Oooooooohhh. I wish he'd concentrate on driving and stay out of the announcer's booth. :cool:

Monte
07-27-2007, 10:19 PM
Oooooooohhh. I wish he'd concentrate on driving and stay out of the announcer's booth. :cool:

And from owning teams........... Not that I'm complaining.... I'd rather see that 8 er.... 25 er..... 5 umm win:confused:

BriEOD
07-28-2007, 09:04 AM
Ooo, we cant let em in on that! that would spoil all the fun!!:D
You can either tell us, or I will run a report on all your assets on Monday. Your call. ;)

yzwiley
07-28-2007, 10:45 AM

Ric
07-28-2007, 11:36 AM
Have I mentioned how much I hate fords?

JimN
07-28-2007, 12:07 PM
Epic boats were sold only at Toyota dealerships and true to their word, Toyota pulled the plug after three years, when they saw that they weren't profitable. I still see one around town and they were nice looking boats but I never heard anything good about their wake, performance, value and I'll bet the people who bought them were PO'd with the resale value. The one we had in for a gelcoat repair ran really smoothly, though.

However, back to the Ford/Chevy thing. If the cast iron Chevy 350 is so bad, why have they been making them since 1954? Why is it that the only marine engines in memory were 351s and 2.3L (which sucked, big-time)? The 351 was a good motor- durable good power and torque and easy to repair. If Ford hadn't bailed on the marine market, we'd still be seeing a lot of them. The Chevy 350 is rugged, you can beat it like a stupid dog and it just comes back for petting. My truck has the original motor and is creeping up on 300K miles. I recently checked the compression- it was 155-163 and it runs incredibly well. Too bad it has GM's idea of a good paint job- silver paint peeling off in flakes. Nice job, GM! Galvanize the sheet metal and paint it without priming. Brilliant! Absofreakinlutely brilliant! (Yes, it's a real word and counts for 13,500 points in Scrabble)

ski_king
07-28-2007, 12:26 PM
Hope I didn't stir anything up.

Hey, its going to rain here all weekend, I need some entertainment.

milkmania
07-28-2007, 02:19 PM
Too bad it has GM's idea of a good paint job- silver paint peeling off in flakes. Nice job, GM! Galvanize the sheet metal and paint it without priming. Brilliant! Absofreakinlutely brilliant! (Yes, it's a real word and counts for 13,500 points in Scrabble)

true, but that sheet metal will be here after Armageddon:rolleyes:

JimN
07-28-2007, 03:13 PM
"true, but that sheet metal will be here after Armageddon"

Since my truck is originally from Phoenix, I can probably agree but if it was originally from here (Milwaukee area), no. We have a mountain of salt for clearing the streets that's probably 5 acres by close to 100' high, at its peak levels. Sometimes, if they get a deal on it and they think it'll be a bad winter, they buy another one.