PDA

View Full Version : Is A breakin period REALLY necessary?

SkiDog
07-27-2007, 07:58 AM
I know I'm gonna get BASHED for this, But I got to thinking, Do you REALLY need to break in a marine engine. I'm sure the engine builders @ NASCAR don't baby a new engine after its built.:D :confused: So, why should we have to. After all, its not likely that we're gonna dump the throttle wide a$$ open for any lenght if time.
Go ahead...... let the bashing begin!:o

Maristar210
07-27-2007, 08:18 AM
My personal belief is there is a break in period but ten hours is a bit much. I did the varying throttle stuff because the dealer insisted I do but I have always subscribed to the breaking it in right philosophy (hammer down)

SkiDog you should probably give me that boat for a week or so to get some hours on it :)

Leroy
07-27-2007, 08:23 AM
I'm with you skidog, let's test this theory on that new baby you have! We need data!

PS some brands of cars tell you to drive it like you always will from day one.......

03 35th Anniversary
07-27-2007, 08:26 AM
The boys in NASCAR only put about 550 - 650 miles on an engine also. Try to get 1000 - 1200 miles outta one.

But I do think the breakin period is alittle much..............

Just Drive it like you stole it............:D :D :steering:

TMCNo1
07-27-2007, 08:55 AM
The boys in NASCAR only put about 550 - 650 miles on an engine also. Try to get 1000 - 1200 miles outta one.

But I do think the breakin period is alittle much..............

Just Drive it like you stole it............:D :D :steering:

Most all professional race car engines are run on a dyno prior to being place in the car or hauler for use. During that dyno period, there is a so called break-in period. A race car engine and a marine engine are basically 2 different animals, besides I don't know of many boat owners with $10 to $20 million sponsors who have the resources to build engines that cost more than their new boat costs, but...........................?
Maybe Mike (MYMC) can shed a more accurate light on the subject, since he is a former race car engine builder.

Jkelly
07-27-2007, 09:16 AM
I believe you need to break it in like you going to use it. The first couple of hours you need to take it easy, nice and smooth, no hard starts or slamming it into reverse. but after that use the thing.
If I ever get the chance it buy a brand new boat I will probably take it to the river and just cruise for the first few hours then change the oil and give her He!!

tones03
07-27-2007, 09:24 AM
I always thought the same thing, but I also say better safe then sorry. Motorcycles say the same thing, and my brother-in-law broke his in like the dealer said and a friend didnt, same bike, same year, inlaw has had no problems and the friend has had a ton. Still think 10 hours is a little much though.

TMCNo1
07-27-2007, 09:35 AM
Is there a break-in period for airplanes??????????????????:eek: :eek3: :huh:

Jkelly
07-27-2007, 09:47 AM
A green engine needs a burn in period. Which means to run the engine a full throttle on the hot pad

mccobmd
07-27-2007, 10:18 AM
I bought a new X1, took it easy for the first 2 hours then used it like I always will for the next 10 hours. Had the oil changed, no problems yet so I'll let you know about the long term effect of the "2 hour" break in period.

SteveO
07-27-2007, 10:40 AM
I bought a new X1, took it easy for the first 2 hours then used it like I always will for the next 10 hours. Had the oil changed, no problems yet so I'll let you know about the long term effect of the "2 hour" break in period.

I have a picture in my mind of someone at HQ taking notes.... McComb, void warranty, LOL

tex
07-27-2007, 10:49 AM
Did you subsribe to the break in rule with your wife? How does she run now? That's what I thought!

Ric
07-27-2007, 10:52 AM
This is the dumbest question I have ever heard. We are all a little dumber for having read this thread.

TMCNo1
07-27-2007, 11:28 AM
Did you subsribe to the break in rule with your wife? How does she run now? That's what I thought!
I broke mine in during the test drive!:rolleyes: :D :woohoo:

ttu
07-27-2007, 11:32 AM
when i did the 1st test drive with the dealer and he drove the boat he was running about 38 mph across the lake. he then let me drive and i only ran around 26 for a short period. then took my son to board behind it on a 2nd test drive and this time he ran it over 40.

so does that void the warranty:rolleyes:

since then from the 2 to 4 hrs on it now, it has been driven easy

tex
07-27-2007, 11:41 AM
I broke mine in during the test drive!:rolleyes: :D :woohoo:
Shortly after that for me! She runs great now!

phecksel
07-27-2007, 08:18 PM
Is there a break-in period for airplanes??????????????????:eek: :eek3: :huh:
yes, and if the engine has thermocouples, it's dramatic. It happens in a very very short period of time, literally 1/2 hour. I chatted with the guy who owns the injector company...name escapes me now... and his recommendation was to pump up the oil pressure, start the engine, do a every quick leak check with the cowling off, and immediately shut it down. Then TOW it to the runway, start it, do a quick runup and take off on slightly reduced manifold pressure, fly around the airport for an hour varying throttle. Land, do another check, and then do some easy flying. This advice came several years ago, not sure if he's learned anything new. This is the guy who refused to believe the old wives tale about running lean of peak, and actually found out how and why the myth got perpetuated and built a product that fixed the root cause. His dyno equipment puts the auto dynos to shame.

randyb
07-30-2007, 03:39 PM
There is always varying opinions on this topic...I've broke in lots of piston airplane engines and our mechanics have always said, run them hard and vary the load for the first 10 hours. I've done the same with all my motorcycles and a couple of new boats and have never had any problems.

Enjoy that new boat!!!

TX.X-30 fan
07-30-2007, 04:15 PM
when i did the 1st test drive with the dealer and he drove the boat he was running about 38 mph across the lake. he then let me drive and i only ran around 26 for a short period. then took my son to board behind it on a 2nd test drive and this time he ran it over 40.

so does that void the warranty:rolleyes:

since then from the 2 to 4 hrs on it now, it has been driven easy

Wow your son boards fasssssssssssst. :confused: :D

TX.X-30 fan
07-30-2007, 04:18 PM
Shortly after that for me! She runs great now!

Mine blew a rod the first time out and then smoked alot. :mad: :D :D

ttu
07-30-2007, 04:18 PM
Wow your son boards fasssssssssssst. :confused: :D

funny, no it was on the way to a area that was smooth to board.

tex
07-30-2007, 04:19 PM
Greatness!!!!!!!!!!!!!

trickskier
07-30-2007, 04:22 PM
This is the dumbest question I have ever heard. We are all a little dumber for having read this thread.
So what's your answer???

trickskier
07-30-2007, 04:26 PM
Mine blew a rod the first time out and then smoked alot. :mad: :D :D
It would throw a rod...................Unless you're referring to something else...............8p

TX.X-30 fan
07-30-2007, 04:33 PM

Not as dumb as this old thread huh. :confused: :D

http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=10598&highlight=trailer+bunk+problems