PDA

View Full Version : McAfee or Norton?

mitch
07-26-2007, 08:19 PM
Thoughts on this? Daugher is getting a Dell notebook and it comes with some free McAfee time Should I uninstall and use Norton or is McAfee good enough? Thanks much for any feedback!!

JimN
07-26-2007, 09:01 PM
I had Norton and I have come to the conclusion that it caused more problems than it solved or blocked. It really slowed my computer down a lot. I use AntiVir now and it catches things a lot faster, I have it set to scan every day at noon and when it finds something, it lets me know immediately. My computer, which turned 7 years old in January, works better than it did when it was new, although I have to credit XP with most of that. I did start using AntiVir before switching to XP and it made a big difference when I was still using 98SE.

atlfootr
07-26-2007, 09:02 PM
Niether are good in my opinion :twocents:
I'd look for an alternet!

milkmania
07-26-2007, 09:03 PM
haven't used either in years and years......

Panda Platinum for me;)

keep in mind, I only use it, because one of the businesses I service has me on their user's list

therefore, free as long as they pay:banana:

mitch
07-26-2007, 09:14 PM
I had Norton and I have come to the conclusion that it caused more problems than it solved or blocked. It really slowed my computer down a lot. I use AntiVir now and it catches things a lot faster, I have it set to scan every day at noon and when it finds something, it lets me know immediately. My computer, which turned 7 years old in January, works better than it did when it was new, although I have to credit XP with most of that. I did start using AntiVir before switching to XP and it made a big difference when I was still using 98SE.

7 years old, that is impressive Jim. I'm already tiring of my 3 y/o Thinkpad :D

I'll look into antiver, thanks guys!

andrewtimko
07-26-2007, 09:31 PM
Stay away from Norton or McAffee. I have Computer Associates E-Trust running on 350+ machines with great results.

JimN
07-26-2007, 09:34 PM
I know I'm pushing my luck with the original hard drive but it works (for now) for what I really need and if I buy anything soon, it'll be a better laptop. I bought mine used and it's about as old as the desktop, although it works pretty well, too. The screen is small, it's becoming outdated (no, I mean really outdated) and the screen illumination is getting flakey.

In addition to AntiVir, I use SpyBot and AdAware. BTW- I gave up on Internet Explorer a long time ago (about 4 years) and FireFox has been a breath of fresh air, by comparison. I have talked to people who use IE with no problems but they are true computer people, while I'm not. I want to use mine, not have to spend a lot of time maintaining it.

Mag_Red
07-26-2007, 09:44 PM
Just installed NOD32 antivirus on my laptop and home PC........impressed so far:twocents:

dmayer84
07-26-2007, 10:57 PM
Dont use norton or McAffe, AVG is great. Doesnt interefere with much of anything and it wont take over control like those other 2 do.

450hp@bellsouth.net
07-26-2007, 11:03 PM
If you go ahead and get Windows Vista the security is much improved and you should not need either.

Jesus_Freak
07-27-2007, 03:16 AM
Thoughts on this? Daugher is getting a Dell notebook and it comes with some free McAfee time Should I uninstall and use Norton or is McAfee good enough? Thanks much for any feedback!!

I have not used Norton in a long time, but you can be certain that McAfee, itself, is the virus yo mamma warned you about.

andrewtimko
07-27-2007, 08:23 AM
If you go ahead and get Windows Vista the security is much improved and you should not need either.

I don't know that I would believe everything I hear. I'd stick with XP Pro for a while.

sten76
07-27-2007, 08:32 AM
Get a Mac. Much easier to use, much more reliable and much more secure.

dpolen
07-27-2007, 08:47 AM
Don't use both Norton and McAfee...pick one or the other, or another product, otherwise overall security may be compromised. I learned this from one of our security systems sales reps this week.

mrG
07-27-2007, 09:47 AM
I got tired of all on them and decided to try the free AVG anti-virus and AVG anti spyware from grisoft.com . so far so good.

No more $25 or 30 per year for renewal per machine.

JimN
07-27-2007, 10:18 AM
"If you go ahead and get Windows Vista the security is much improved and you should not need either."

You drank their Kool Aid, didn't you?:noface:

My computer would never handle Vista- too old and not enough of anything.

east tx skier
07-27-2007, 10:37 AM

Another vote for AVG. The free version has gotten great reviews. I got tired of renewing Norton and installed it. Their spyware blocker is good, too. My computer instantly felt like it was running a bit quicker.

BTW- I gave up on Internet Explorer a long time ago (about 4 years) and FireFox has been a breath of fresh air, by comparison. I have talked to people who use IE with no problems but they are true computer people, while I'm not. I want to use mine, not have to spend a lot of time maintaining it.

I know I'm pushing my luck with the original hard drive but it works (for now) for what I really need and if I buy anything soon, it'll be a better laptop. I bought mine used and it's about as old as the desktop, although it works pretty well, too. The screen is small, it's becoming outdated (no, I mean really outdated) and the screen illumination is getting flakey.

In addition to AntiVir, I use SpyBot and AdAware. BTW- I gave up on Internet Explorer a long time ago (about 4 years) and FireFox has been a breath of fresh air, by comparison. I have talked to people who use IE with no problems but they are true computer people, while I'm not. I want to use mine, not have to spend a lot of time maintaining it.

Second that. Love the firefox. Plus, IE 7 is absolutely awful. Slowest thing I've ever seen.

Rallyspitman
07-29-2007, 02:58 PM
I just got a new laptop with Vista. I got Mcafee with it as I remember Norton being very slow. I got popups and system mods within a week. Took it back to the shop and it turns our Vista is not totally compatible with Mcafee. Thanks for telling me at the time (guess they thought I was born wiith that information!!!!). I now have Norton and it seems OK. If you're going with an old OS you cant beat AVG but this doesn't work with Vista either.
Good luck!

phecksel
07-29-2007, 05:38 PM
I have four PC's to maintain. My suggestion is buy a mac.

If you're bent on a PC, I'm using the free version of AVG on several computers.