PDA

View Full Version : Getting to the Gas Tank

lelprostar205
07-26-2007, 03:09 PM
I own a 1994 prostar 205 with a fuel injected 350. I need to replace the gas tank. How do I get to the gas tank?

thanks,
lance

bigmac
07-26-2007, 03:17 PM
There should be a removable section of flooring over it. You'll need a cordless drill/screwdriver with a phillips bit.

G-man
07-26-2007, 03:43 PM
I thought the 205 gas tank was behind the back seat, if so remove the screws holding the carpeted board in and you'll see what to remove

JimN
07-26-2007, 04:10 PM
The tank is behind the rear seat in a '94 Prostar. Why does it need to be replaced?

bigmac
07-26-2007, 04:25 PM
Yah...well...wherever it is, bring your cordless screwdriver...;)

(I hope he doesn't already have his flooring out looking for that gas tank...http://mccollister.info/gifs/Doh.gif

east tx skier
07-26-2007, 04:28 PM
Just to be overly specific, pull the entire rear seat out. There's a panel. At the bottom of that panel, there's a little loop of fabric. Pull on the loop and the panel will slide out.

hole shooter
09-09-2007, 04:04 PM
what is the best thing to clean out the bottom of a poly gas tank? i have mine out right now to inspect things with the fuel system, and i noticed after getting 99% of the gas out of the tank that there is a orangish fuzzy looking pasty stuff on the bottom millimeter of the inside of the tank. what should i use as a solvent/cleaner that wont leave any residue behind?

TMCNo1
09-09-2007, 04:13 PM
Try some lacquer thinner or acetone and if you can, scrub it with some type of long handle brush, then just wash it out with gas to finish it off. The solvents are now sold and stored in poly containers, so it shouldn't hurt the tank. I would think that anything remaining may be just a discoloration of the poly, but who knows.

123src
09-09-2007, 06:04 PM
Just to be overly specific, pull the entire rear seat out. There's a panel. At the bottom of that panel, there's a little loop of fabric. Pull on the loop and the panel will slide out.

Mine is a 92 PS 205, but I believe they are the same. Here is a pic of the rear seat removed. The seat just slides up and out. This will give you access to the carpeted panel seen in the picture. As eastie said, find the loop of fabric at the bottom and move the panel slightly up and the then pull the bottom of the panel towards you (the bow).

123src
09-09-2007, 06:07 PM
Yah...well...wherever it is, bring your cordless screwdriver...;)

(I hope he doesn't already have his flooring out looking for that gas tank...http://mccollister.info/gifs/Doh.gif

Here is another pic with the rear carpeted panel, among other things, removed. You will need your cordless drill. There are 4 brackets on mine. 2 on the top, 2 on the bottom. Remove the brackets and the hoses, and the tank will slide right out!