PDA

View Full Version : Boat quitting when it still has a half tank of gas

lelprostar205
07-26-2007, 01:14 PM
I own a 94 mastercraft prostar 205 it has the 350 fuel injected engine. It runs great until i get just below a half a tank of gas in it. I checked the spark and fuel pumps. Both of those things are operating normal. When it quit i looked at the injectors and they wernt spraying. So i take the boat out of the water and fill the tank up. Put it back in the water and it fires right away. Im confused Can some one help?

ps. when i filled the boat up it only took 45 dollars soo i no my gas gage is working cuz no ski boat will fill up from empty on 45 dollars:confused:

bigmac
07-26-2007, 01:43 PM
I don't know about your year of boat. Later years have an in-tank fuel pump and that pump is designed so that it only filters the last 1/2 tank or so. The upper half is just open - no filtering, the concept being that the lower half is where all the crap is going to settle so that's what needs to be filtered.

If you had that situation, one could assume that your symptoms were due to a non-functional in-tank fuel filter.

Do you have an in-tank fuel pump?

david_ski
07-26-2007, 02:15 PM
I have a 93 ProStar 190. I had a similar problem a couple of years ago. When I had less than 8-10 gallons in the tank. My boat would start to act like it was empty. My boat is carburated.

My fuel gauge was not working reliably. I was in the process of pulling and repaired the sending unit. While I was working on this task, I had noticed there was an loose object in the bottom of my tank. The loose object was the fuel inlet pickup screen. The pickup tube had become brittle and had broken off above the pickup screen. That was why it ran out of gas when I still had 10 gallons on the tank. I replaced the pickup tube with a new hose and it now runs down to 1-2 gallons.

If the pickup strainer had not broken off, it would of taken me a lot longer to figure this one out.

rektek
07-28-2007, 02:19 PM
make sure your tank is venting properly, my next step would be to pull the sending unit/fuel pump and inspect the pickup. it sounds like it's pulling fuel from higher up.