PDA

View Full Version : Rough Idle on 1992 Prostar

prostar1992asdf
07-26-2007, 12:59 PM
I just bought a 1992 Prostar with 150 hours on it (great condition). It has the Ford 351w. At idle I noticed that it's rough meaning it idles at about 200 rpms and it has a pulse. It feels like the engine is barely hanging on. Once I throttle up it sounds smooth and good. I think the prevous owners hadn't used it for a few years. Where should I start to solve this problem. Fuel filter, spark plugs, carb adjustment?

92 190 PS
07-26-2007, 01:04 PM
New plugs and a quick adjustment to the carb and I bet you're good to go. Below is a link to the air/fule mixture technique that many of us have used with much success. I have the same boat and had the same issue with a lack of use when I bought it last spring. Good luck and post a picture of your new ride when you get a chance...Welcome to the board....

http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=4273

prostar1992asdf
07-26-2007, 01:14 PM
Thanks for the quick reply! I've taken the boat out twice and I absolutley love it. Another issue I've noticed is that at full throttle I've toped out at 35 mph with a full boat in choppy conditions. Is this normal or should I be getting more out of this boat in these conditions.

east tx skier
07-26-2007, 01:41 PM
Have you calibrated the speedometer? If you have a handheld gps or a slalom course nearby, check that. Or, set your speedos to 30 mph at 3,000 rpm (this will get you somewhat close).

mayo93prostar
07-26-2007, 01:44 PM
if it is idling at only 200 rpms, this is too low. it should be around 600-700 in my opinion. adjust the idle screw on the side of the carb to increase it. If it has sat for a while then adjust carb per link above, check timing, change fuel filter, change plugs, wires, cap, and rotor. change the oil in engine and tranny fluid too. good luck with it. that is awesome to find one with such low hours. did it sit in storage a long time. remember, we like pics. post em.

prostar1992asdf
07-26-2007, 01:57 PM
yea the boat sat in a garage and was never used. Gel coat is in perfect condition. Engine looks spotless. And the interior looks great. I'll post pics when I get some on my computer

east tx skier
07-26-2007, 03:35 PM
Throw some sea foam in there, too. Can't hurt. $6 at napa. About half a can in the carb. Kill it. Put another 1/2 can in the tank. Let it sit for 20 minutes or so, then drive it like you stole it. Enjoy the smoke screen.

milkmania
07-26-2007, 04:04 PM
if it is idling at only 200 rpms, this is too low. it should be around 600-700 in my opinion. adjust the idle screw on the side of the carb to increase it. If it has sat for a while then adjust carb per link above, check timing, change fuel filter, change plugs, wires, cap, and rotor. change the oil in engine and tranny fluid too. good luck with it. that is awesome to find one with such low hours. did it sit in storage a long time. remember, we like pics. post em.

agreed, with all of that statement!:)