PDA

View Full Version : Engine Cover difficult to open


debecker13
07-25-2007, 08:11 PM
I have a problem that seems to be getting worse with time. The engine cover seems to be sliding toward the rear of the boat over time. The inside of the cover is resting on the water pump and other engine parts near the front of the engine. There is a small aluminum strip that goes around the inside of the cover and this is hanging up on the engine every time I try to open it. It is bad enough that it sometimes takes two people to open this beast. All of the screws in the hinges and floor plates are tight, at least the ones I can see. Any suggestions?

TMCNo1
07-25-2007, 08:16 PM
The engine cover is screwed to the center floor panel in most boats by the hinges, then the center floor panel is screwed to the stringers just behind the motor cover and under the rear seat. Those screws may be too short, have stripped out of the holes and the center floor panel is moving rearward and taking the motor cover with it. It's time to fix it!

Monte
07-25-2007, 08:27 PM
I have a problem that seems to be getting worse with time. The engine cover seems to be sliding toward the rear of the boat over time. The inside of the cover is resting on the water pump and other engine parts near the front of the engine. There is a small aluminum strip that goes around the inside of the cover and this is hanging up on the engine every time I try to open it. It is bad enough that is sometimes takes two people to open this beast. All of the screws in the hinges and floor plates are tight, at least the ones I can see. Any suggestions?


Pictures would be a plus.......;)

Workin' 4 Toys
07-25-2007, 08:46 PM
I had one do something similar. I couldn't figure out why it seemed like it was moving by itself, I saw bits of fiberglass on the water pump.:confused:

UNTIL one day someone sitting in the spotters seat had their foot on the front of it "pushing" back to hold them selves in the seat:mad: . Once I heard the "chattering" of the water pump bolts hitting the fiberglass I realized how it was happening. And yes, it was because the screws for the hinges had become loose.
I guess I was lucky they didn't push harder and remove some of their foot with the bolts. I ended up replacing ALL of the screws including the ones that held the floor in just in case. Problem solved except for the circle of missing fiberglass inside the cover.

debecker13
07-26-2007, 11:38 PM
Thanks for the quick responses guys. I checked the hinges and the floor sections at the back of the engine. Everything was tight, but maybe they have just shifted and things need to be reset in the correct position. I'll let you know the outcome.

debecker13
08-01-2007, 11:32 PM
I pulled the engine cover and rear floor board out of the boat. Everything appeared to be in it's correct position. However the rear floor board has to be moved forward to allow more clearance at the front of the engine cover. My last question is if it is okay to drill new holes in the fiberglass stringers where the floor was originally mounted? I will have to drill 4 additional holes to remount the rear floor panel just forward of it's original position. Thanks again for your help.

TMCNo1
08-02-2007, 06:23 AM
Fill the old holes with silicone or something to keep any water out.

I figured that is what it would take to fix it, just put some slightly longer screws in to assure a good grip.

mbpd312
05-10-2009, 01:33 AM
Finally fixed mine tonight. I was tired of seeing the stops for the engine cover exposed. The reason mine were exposed was due to enlarged engine cover anchor holes. Over time the screws worked their way out, and of course I thought things would be fine. Finally, The loose engine cover worked the section floor that is behind it all the way back to the fuel tank. In the process the gas shocks bacame worn out and failed. I was left with an engine cover that lined up improperly on the stops, and when I match the cover on the proper side of the stops I was left with and 2" gap in the floor. The problem was solved by epoxy in the holes followed by a pre-drill in the correct location. I then screwed the cover back down and installed the gas shocks. The rear section of floor floats, so I just moved it up to mate properly. It was a really easy fix and didnt more then one ice cold beer to complete.