PDA

View Full Version : Lost Key

dmayer84
07-25-2007, 06:24 PM
My friend lost her one and only key to her 01 Ford Explorer. She called the dealers with her VIN to order a new key and they told her that she has to have it towed in to have it reprogrammed. Does anyone know if this is true?

JKTX21
07-25-2007, 06:46 PM
My friend lost her one and only key to her 01 Ford Explorer. She called the dealers with her VIN to order a new key and they told her that she has to have it towed in to have it reprogrammed. Does anyone know if this is true?

I don't think so. If she just needs a key and not a fob, they should be able to find out what key she had by the VIN. Or sometimes dealers put the key number in your owners packet / manual.

Roonie's
07-25-2007, 06:51 PM
I don't know about the older 01 but the new cars absolutely have to have towed in since the key itself has a microchip in it and the car and key have to be programmed together otherwise the key won't work for the car.

JKTX21
07-25-2007, 07:01 PM
I don't know about the older 01 but the new cars absolutely have to have towed in since the key itself has a microchip in it and the car and key have to be programmed together otherwise the key won't work for the car.

I don't think the 01's had this technology. I have a 2000 Ford and it doesn't have a microchip in the key as far as I know.

justinglow
07-25-2007, 10:27 PM
We had an 02 Explorer and lost the only key. It had to be reprogrammed. The dealership had a guy with a portable computer that came to us in the driveway and did it. They cut the keys at the dealership and brought them with. You must program two at a time. Just another way for Ford to make more money from you.

atlfootr
07-26-2007, 08:04 AM
It's probably a way for any dealership to make more money, she just happen to have a FORD ...
Tell her in the future spare copies of keys are cheap to make at Home Depot or Lowes; new one's are not -- good luck :rolleyes:

dmayer84
07-26-2007, 08:10 AM
I asked her why she only had one key to her car, she got quite upset. Looks like she is getting it towed to the dealer today. Wouldnt want to know what the bill looks like for loosing the only key.

atlfootr
07-26-2007, 08:17 AM
No dout, plus the towing bill to boot :(
This will be one expensive key :o

TMCNo1
07-26-2007, 08:57 AM
Wow, a double post, nevermind!

TMCNo1
07-26-2007, 08:58 AM
I don't think the 01's had this technology. I have a 2000 Ford and it doesn't have a microchip in the key as far as I know.

We have a '98 GM and a '99 Ford vehicle and the keys are programmable. According to GM/Ford (I worked at a GM dealership), if you have the key punchouts in the owners manual, they can take them and make a new key from them, program and they will work. Had a spare set made for both vehicles for our daughter, just in case she needed them and they worked.

Ric
07-26-2007, 09:00 AM
whaddaya tryin to say Harold?

TMCNo1
07-26-2007, 09:02 AM
whaddaya tryin to say Harold?

Oh, I dbl. posted, now I get it, nevermind!:uglyhamme :steering: :uglyhamme

JKTX21
07-26-2007, 08:24 PM
We have a '98 GM and a '99 Ford vehicle and the keys are programmable. According to GM/Ford (I worked at a GM dealership), if you have the key punchouts in the owners manual, they can take them and make a new key from them, program and they will work. Had a spare set made for both vehicles for our daughter, just in case she needed them and they worked.

Good info. Good thing I'm not down to MY last set! :)

boxman3
07-26-2007, 08:55 PM
98 Ford Explorer, YES I PAID $15.00 for the key that would only open the doors. Then $100 big ones for the real key that was programmed in my driveway by my buddy!!!

WTRSK1R
07-26-2007, 09:44 PM
The really strange thing is with Ford you need 2 keys to make this work. When I picked up my '03 Explorer the sales guys says to me, "Do you want an additional spare key?" I said no, 2 is fine, then he says are you sure. Since you have 2 keys right now, I can make you a spare for $15.00, but if you loose 1, then I need to charge $15.00 for a second, plus if decide you want a 3rd, another $15.00, plus a $35.00 charge to program the 2nd and or 3rd key. Basically, if you do not have 2 keys in hand, they want / need to charge you some extra reprogramming charge. I basically looked at him and said, gee, maybe you should just give me the 3rd key for free right now since I just spent $32000 on a new truck. He smiled and said sorry, can't do that.

Needless to say, I still only have 2 keys.