PDA

View Full Version : Bow Cushion Fastener

limegreen
07-25-2007, 03:51 PM
2003 X9

In the bow there are cushions bolted to the sides of the boat...one of mine is loose. If I pull it back I can see the bolt (stud) that should got through the inside fiberglass, but I don't see how I could possibly get to it to put a nut on it and tighten?:(

Diesel
07-25-2007, 03:56 PM
2003 X9

In the bow there are cushions bolted to the sides of the boat...one of mine is loose. If I pull it back I can see the bolt (stud) that should got through the inside fiberglass, but I don't see how I could possibly get to it to put a nut on it and tighten?:(

Any pics? I am trying to take mine out and can't really figure out how to reach up there myself. I don't even know where the studs are located. I am guessing they are attached to the deck at the factory before it is assembled.

Do you have bow speakers? If so can you take one out and then reach back there?

endl
07-25-2007, 04:45 PM
My Maristar was like that. You have to find a way up behind it to tighten the nut or the nut may have come off.

What about reaching behind the cushion. Can you rease it from the bow storage seats? What side is it on?

limegreen
07-25-2007, 06:17 PM
My Maristar was like that. You have to find a way up behind it to tighten the nut or the nut may have come off.

What about reaching behind the cushion. Can you rease it from the bow storage seats? What side is it on?

yea nut came off. i would have to reach way up from bottom seat cushion storage area...not sure I can reach... Right, drivers side (port or starboard I can't remember those)...

limegreen
07-25-2007, 06:17 PM
Any pics? I am trying to take mine out and can't really figure out how to reach up there myself. I don't even know where the studs are located. I am guessing they are attached to the deck at the factory before it is assembled.

Do you have bow speakers? If so can you take one out and then reach back there?

Stud is near the top, front. Speaker is an ideas...hmmm...

swatguy
07-25-2007, 10:07 PM
Same thing happened to my bow cushion on the driversa side as well. Couldn't figure out how to get to that sucker is it was the one all the way up front. on that side cushion. Took the speaker out and everything with zero luck.

What I did was remove the old stud with a pair of pliers. Did it from the outside. I went to the hardware store with the stud and got a wall fastner tipe thing, one of those things you pinch and it spreads out after it gets through the hole. I lock tighted it in the cushion scew back and the other end as well so that wing thing wouldn't rattle off. Maybe not the best way, but hey it's working fine. Just be careful to have it at the right length so it its snug. That was my gerri rig quick fix as I couldn't get to the bolt after hr or so of trying. Been holding up since the beginning of the year So am curious as well how to get to that thing and I have small hands

peason
07-26-2007, 08:32 AM
Has anyone seen them attach these cushions at the factory, it almost sounds like they put the cushions on proir to connecting the top side hull to the the bottom hull. Or they have a special tool that can reach the nuts.

limegreen
07-26-2007, 09:06 AM
Has anyone seen them attach these cushions at the factory, it almost sounds like they put the cushions on proir to connecting the top side hull to the the bottom hull. Or they have a special tool that can reach the nuts.

yea yer probably right that sounds like that might be the way they do it. since it is a one time access maybe they oughta put some lock tite on er. but what about if you need to replace skins?

limegreen
07-26-2007, 09:08 AM
Same thing happened to my bow cushion on the driversa side as well. Couldn't figure out how to get to that sucker is it was the one all the way up front. on that side cushion. Took the speaker out and everything with zero luck.

What I did was remove the old stud with a pair of pliers. Did it from the outside. I went to the hardware store with the stud and got a wall fastner tipe thing, one of those things you pinch and it spreads out after it gets through the hole. I lock tighted it in the cushion scew back and the other end as well so that wing thing wouldn't rattle off. Maybe not the best way, but hey it's working fine. Just be careful to have it at the right length so it its snug. That was my gerri rig quick fix as I couldn't get to the bolt after hr or so of trying. Been holding up since the beginning of the year So am curious as well how to get to that thing and I have small hands

not a bad idea; i might try this. thanks.

peason
07-26-2007, 09:54 AM
We need a dealer to weigh in on this - Jim Baws, MYMC or Eric K. where are you?

endl
07-26-2007, 10:25 AM
Limegreen, can you pull off the access panel underneath the steering wheel and reach up there far enough?

Can you get us a picture.

Does the X-9 have anchor storage. Can you get there from that?

Diesel
07-27-2007, 10:31 AM
Okay this sucks.

I dug in to the boat last night and as I suspected it is obvious at the factory the cushions were attached before the deck was bonded to the hull. There are two nuts which I cannot reach.

The first looks accessible through the speaker hole and it looks like I am going to have to cut the vinyl to reach it. The one all the way at the front looks damn near impossible to reach. I can feel it if I come up from the front but I don't think I can get a wrench or socket on it.

Here is a pic showing the location of the front two studs/nuts.

Diesel
07-27-2007, 10:34 AM
To get a better look at things I held the camera up inside the gunnel and snapped a pic. The two culprit studs are circled. This picture is from the front looking back.

Diesel
07-27-2007, 10:41 AM
Mike, you have any tips or ever had to take the bow cushions out?

endl
07-27-2007, 11:17 AM
Can you reach it with a pnematic ratchet? That would give you extra reach and be something small and slim. Or what about a simple ratcheting box wrench. Probably be one of those feel you way around things that takes a while.

Diesel your PM box is full.............

limegreen
07-27-2007, 03:05 PM
Okay this sucks.

I dug in to the boat last night and as I suspected it is obvious at the factory the cushions were attached before the deck was bonded to the hull. There are two nuts which I cannot reach.

The first looks accessible through the speaker hole and it looks like I am going to have to cut the vinyl to reach it. The one all the way at the front looks damn near impossible to reach. I can feel it if I come up from the front but I don't think I can get a wrench or socket on it.

I think mine is configured a whole lot like this and the front bolt is the one that came out and I can't get back in so the cushion is loose.

limegreen
07-27-2007, 03:07 PM
Limegreen, can you pull off the access panel underneath the steering wheel and reach up there far enough?

Can you get us a picture.

Does the X-9 have anchor storage. Can you get there from that?

That would be few feet reach to the front of the bow so maybe not. I don't have a photo but it looks alot like the other guys photos.

limegreen
07-27-2007, 03:10 PM
Okay this sucks.

why do you need to get to yours?

Diesel
07-27-2007, 03:16 PM
why do you need to get to yours?

I am installing bow speakers and I want to flush them into the seat back so they are not in the way. To do it right I really need to take the skins off the cushions.

endl
07-27-2007, 04:55 PM
Wonder if those heavy duty panel clips would work when you put them back on. The plastic ones with the ribs. If you ever had to pull it off you would just need to take the seat apart re-install new clips and push it back in.

you sure you cannot reat those with a wrench???????

swatguy
07-27-2007, 10:48 PM
No way I could get mine on my 2000 X-Star. To thin between the outer hull and the interior of the eseat back to reach from the bottom and to far away to reach from side.

Diesel
07-30-2007, 09:36 AM
Wonder if those heavy duty panel clips would work when you put them back on. The plastic ones with the ribs. If you ever had to pull it off you would just need to take the seat apart re-install new clips and push it back in.

you sure you cannot reat those with a wrench???????

Finally got it off last night. You can reach all three (yep there are actually three) front nuts through the speaker hole.

Had to cut the skins to get to the hole.

Diesel
07-30-2007, 09:37 AM
Notice the location of the three front mounting holes.

limegreen
08-13-2007, 10:19 AM
Notice the location of the three front mounting holes.

Thanks for this view now I know what I am up against.

Now I have two reasons to dive into this project; my bow rail on the same side is loose :)

swatguy
08-13-2007, 11:47 AM
Diesel<

How sis you get all the way up there? My hand won't fit through the area that is left bewtten the seat back and the gunwale on my 2000 X_Star? Congrats on that though. It's been a thorn in my side for a bit

Diesel
08-13-2007, 12:27 PM
Diesel<

How sis you get all the way up there? My hand won't fit through the area that is left bewtten the seat back and the gunwale on my 2000 X_Star? Congrats on that though. It's been a thorn in my side for a bit

There must be a big difference between the Xstar/205V and the 209. I can get my whole arm, up to my shoulder, in the speaker holes.