PDA

View Full Version : Dealer Woes

boofer
07-25-2007, 10:53 AM
Okay. Here is another dealer story. I am just in the mood to vent a little.

I had a problem with our 2005 X-2. You can read my post about the problem in the General Section "How to Reset Engine ECU." I basically was getting a flashing ECU light when the key was turned to ON and everything worked except the engine would not fire (crank, but not fire).

I emailed the dealer on a Sun night to let them know I wanted to bring my boat in on Mon. I called them on Mon. They said to bring it in and if someone could look at it that day they would (they were doubtful), but if I did bring it in they could have it to look at Tues morning. I called on Wed to check how things were going. I had to leave a message. Two hours later I called again (they never returned my call). They told me that they had not looked at the boat. I was polite and mentioned that they said they would look at it Tues and I was told they were 2 weeks behind. I reminded them that the problem with my boat could be solved/fixed in less than 1 hour (hook computer up to ECU, change out ECU). I am a nice guy but the fact that they are 2 weeks behind is not my problem. They told me they would look at it on Tues.

So, I was kind of pissed off. I emailed the store manager that night. It was a fairly lengthy message, but I told him all of the facts in a very polite manner. The next morning I received a reply. The first thing the manager said to me was, "Yo James," Okay, call me crazy, but is "Yo James" the proper way to reply to someone who is a customer? He backed his service people, but said he would check on it. Friday I received a call from the service department. They hooked up the computer and told me it was the ECU. I held back what I was thinking ("No sh#t, I told you that days ago). Well, she told me it was $1,000 for the part and asked me what I wanted to do. Well, I mentioned it was still under warranty and she paused then said, "Well, we'll have to determine what caused it to fail and see if it falls under the warranty." I hate to say, but I got a strong feeling they were reluctant to file a claim. I felt as if they would prefer for me to hand over $1,000+ instead of filing a warranty claim. They said that they had to order the part regardless and i asked them to notify me if anything changed as far as the claim would go.

Well, Thur we had gone to place a cover on our boat. It was then that I found it was covered in bugs. Granted, I should have covered it but I wish they would have urged me to. We keep it garaged and never use the cover. Since the part was not suppose to be in until next Mon or Tues (I was told), I decided to pick up the boat, get it home, and clean it. It was during the wash that I noticed a pen mark on the engine cover. I plan on mentioning it to them but I do not want them trying to remove it. It is on the part of the cover that is not seen when the cover is closed. But, the bad taste in my mouth keeps getting worse.

So, I call them on Mon and left a message. My call was never returned. I called again on Tues. I was told they had to contact MC to verify I was the original owner and they did not get verification (via email) till today (Tues) and that they were preparing to order the part. I was told it should be in by Fri or the first of next week. "Email?" I live in Knoxville, TN. I can drive to the MC plant in less than an hour. More than likely a phone call would be local. I asked them about having it shipped overnight. She told me they would check on it and call me back. Guess what? Right, I never received a call. So, here it is Wed, and as soon as I get done writing I am going to call them.

I don't know? Am I being too whinny? I understand that service is an inexact science. But, I bring them a boat that ideally could take less than an hour to fix. i would think that it would not hamper their schedule to put one guy on my boat to run the diagnostics (less than 30 minutes) then say we need a new box (ECU). Get a new box and install it (10 minutes). Okay, if that doesn't fix it, then I will understand taking a number and waiting in line. I actually told them if it turned out not to be a simple fix i would understand waiting. Then, on top of it all, the inability to return calls, "Yo James", wanting to NOT do their job by processing a claim, and taking way more time than necessary. I apologize for being picky, but I believe that they could be doing a way better job. A friend once told me he would never take his boat back to this dealer. But, since this looked like a warranty issue, I really had no choice. Once the warranty is expired, I will be looking into alternatives.

Okay, I feel better (for now). Hopefully I will have good news here in a few minutes after my phone call.

Diesel
07-25-2007, 11:10 AM
Your dealer sucks. Unacceptable IMHO and I would be looking elsewhere for service. Contact MC directly and file a complaint.

03 35th Anniversary
07-25-2007, 11:18 AM
I understand what your saying. Nothing makes me madder than when a smart a$$ service man/woman tells you they can do something, then they fall on their faces. This happens more times than not. Although I have never had a probelm with the MasterCraft service dept. that I use (Texas MasterCraft). But it seem every Chevrolet and Ford dealerships are all talk. Then when you call them out on it they have an attitude like its your fault. They don't understand why your pissed off cause you bought a $50,000 truck that has 5,000 miles on it and its in the shop and they are draging their feet. It seems like they don't understand the fact I didn't buy multiple vehicles so I can rotate them out through a service dept. I bought a $50,000 vehicle so I wouldn't have to.

I am going through this samething with ford service.:mad: :mad: :mad:

east tx skier
07-25-2007, 11:25 AM
Nothing makes me madder than when a smart a$$ service man/woman tells you they can do something, then they fall on their faces. This happens more times than not. Although I have never had a probelm with the MasterCraft service dept. that I use (Texas MasterCraft).

I'm glad you have had better luck with them in this regard than I did a few years ago. I've heard that they are under new management since 2004. Is that true?

Boofer, I'm sorry you're having these problems. With regard to the pen mark, give magic eraser a shot. It may make that mark disappear pretty fast. Hope this all works out for you.

Diesel
07-25-2007, 11:25 AM
I am going through this samething with ford service.:mad: :mad: :mad:

Another happy powerstroke owner? :D

tex
07-25-2007, 11:28 AM
I'm glad you have had better luck with them in this regard than I did a few years ago. I've heard that they are under new management since 2004. Is that true?

Boofer, I'm sorry you're having these problems. With regard to the pen mark, give magic eraser a shot. It may make that mark disappear pretty fast. Hope this all works out for you.
You will be treated right by Texas Mastercraft. They reorganized their service department a couple of years ago and are working in a great new facility. I have always gotten great service from them. Jeff, Andy, and the rest of the crew rock!!!!!

bigmac
07-25-2007, 11:29 AM
There can be many reasons why a service visit can take longer than the owner thinks it should, so I'm always inclined to give a dealer the benefit of a doubt knowing that they have other customers to service that are just as important to them as I am. But IMHO not returning a customer's telephone calls is unacceptable performance and suggests a lack of committment to customer service that may very well carry over into the service department.

jlf
07-25-2007, 11:31 AM
be patienct, you know every customer expects the same speedy service you do and it is summer time, their busiest time of the year. Most dealerships, I would suspect do boats as they come in and as they get parts for the boats. Yes your problem may have only taken 30 mins to diagnose but what about the guy who's been without his boat because he was waiting for parts and they finally came in, only to have his repair delayed because someone else brought a boat in. Most people understand you may have to wait for repairs especially during the summer. I know its frustrating, I've been there!! Getting angry usually gets you no where fast. Keep on top of them.

east tx skier
07-25-2007, 11:35 AM
You will be treated right by Texas Mastercraft. They reorganized their service department a couple of years ago and are working in a great new facility. I have always gotten great service from them. Jeff, Andy, and the rest of the crew rock!!!!!

Tex, that answers my question as to whether it's the same people there. Thanks. I never got to the point of having my boat serviced there.

I know, I know. Sorry for bringing up old stuff, but I've got an elephant's memory. I'm glad so many of their customers are of the satisfied variety and that I am the exception.

But like BigMac said, the return phone call thing is just very important to me.

Monte
07-25-2007, 11:40 AM
I honestly don't understand how some dealerships stay in business. There is a huge problem when service becomes a back burner issue. The best customer is a repeat customer or a word of mouth customer. How does the management of said dealerships not get that. Happy customers = referrals and repeat business. It is that simple.

03 35th Anniversary
07-25-2007, 11:46 AM

I am a 100% satisfied with everthing they have done for me........

east tx skier
07-25-2007, 11:51 AM
I am a 100% satisfied with everthing they have done for me........

I shall refrain from further comment in accordance with the rules of this forum.

03 35th Anniversary
07-25-2007, 11:51 AM
There can be many reasons why a service visit can take longer than the owner thinks it should, so I'm always inclined to give a dealer the benefit of a doubt knowing that they have other customers to service that are just as important to them as I am. But IMHO not returning a customer's telephone calls is unacceptable performance and suggests a lack of committment to customer service that may very well carry over into the service department.

Thats is what I am talking about. Not returning phone calls and atleast updating me when my service is going to take longer than when originally quoted sends me through the roof.:mad:

03 35th Anniversary
07-25-2007, 11:58 AM
I shall refrain from further comment in accordance with the rules of this forum.

I don't doubt you did have had some probelms a few years ago. Their service dept. had a rocky start when they split off from the Slalom Shop in 2002. But like Tex said they got a new facility and reorganized everthing.

endl
07-25-2007, 12:28 PM
I was just discussing this subject last night with my neighbor. I think this is a topic that in interesting. Does not matter if your a boat dealer, car dealer ect. If you dont have a good service department then you dealarship will suffer.

I get very frustrated when I call my dealer to just ask a question and I get voicemail. Now I understand people cannot talk on the phone all day or they will not get any work done but....when your selling big ticket items you gotta give out warm fuzzies or people just get irritated....

Maybe I just dont understand....Maybe we expect too much

east tx skier
07-25-2007, 12:38 PM
I was just discussing this subject last night with my neighbor. I think this is a topic that in interesting. Does not matter if your a boat dealer, car dealer ect. If you dont have a good service department then you dealarship will suffer.

I get very frustrated when I call my dealer to just ask a question and I get voicemail. Now I understand people cannot talk on the phone all day or they will not get any work done but....when your selling big ticket items you gotta give out warm fuzzies or people just get irritated....

Maybe I just dont understand....Maybe we expect too much

The dealer who services my boat answers the phone, returns phone calls, knows my name, knows my boat, and absolutely bends over backwards to make sure I am a happy customer.

I took my wife's uncle's Ski Ray in to them two years ago for a bottom job (shaft, prop, etc). When they found out that they could no longer order the shaft Sea Ray orginally used, they used one of their own shafts and custom machined it so that it would fit his boat.

They are the only people I want working on my boat at this point, even if it means I have to wait sometimes.

03 35th Anniversary
07-25-2007, 12:45 PM
The dealer who services my boat answers the phone, returns phone calls, knows my name, knows my boat, and absolutely bends over backwards to make sure I am a happy customer.

I took my wife's uncle's Ski Ray in to them two years ago for a bottom job (shaft, prop, etc). When they found out that they could no longer order the shaft Sea Ray orginally used, they used one of their own shafts and custom machined it so that it would fit his boat.

They are the only people I want working on my boat at this point, even if it means I have to wait sometimes.
Just what might be the name and location of said service dept. I travel alot and sometime have my boat with me and need a good service center.

Thrall
07-25-2007, 01:48 PM
Understand your frustration boofer. One thing to keep in mind, is whether your ECU is a warranty part or not, it's an Indmar engine, and the ECU likely has to come from Indmar, not the MC factory downthe street from you, so it's not as easy as going to Vonore and getting it.
Mine came from Indmar directly to the dlr when I had this problem. That said, it didn't take 2 weeks and counting to get it. They had a new one at the dlr 2-3 days later and put it in the boat.. Dlr called me and said come get your boat and go have fun. We'll hash out the problem w/ the old one and decide who pays and how much after we analyze the failure of the old one (the old one was a 3y/o part on an 8y/o boat, at the time). Turned out the old one was fried, yet defective, and MC/Indmar split the cost w/ me even though they were under no obligation to do so.
And yes this was in the middle of the summer, in AZ, so they were pretty busy...........and I didn't buy the boat from them, nor did the previous owner. MC of AZ has good service!

Look on the bright side. You are now the only other person I know or have heard about that has had an ECM go bad on their MC. It is a very isolated problem.

east tx skier
07-25-2007, 02:20 PM
Just what might be the name and location of said service dept. I travel alot and sometime have my boat with me and need a good service center.

Per the rules, I can't promote a competing brand's dealer on the forum (PM coming your way).

Ric
07-25-2007, 02:25 PM
Per the rules, I can't promote a competing brand's dealer on the forum (PM coming your way). hahh I knew that was coming

Archimedes
07-25-2007, 02:26 PM
I honestly don't understand how some dealerships stay in business.

They have a monopoly on the brand, that's how. In my area, on average there's one MC dealership every 150 miles or more. And the four or five closest are all actually owned by the same company. They can essentially do whatever they want to the diehard MC owner.

JimN
07-25-2007, 02:32 PM
The waiting line is the waiting line and it doesn't matter if someone thinks their problem is easy to fix, or not- just because the light is flashing doesn't mean it's always a bad ECM. Squeezing a boat into the schedule means that someone whose boat was already on it has to wait, which isn't fair to them. However, there are times when a job takes less time than quoted/expected or they have to wait for other parts/job/added expense authorization, so the shop may have a bit of down time, especially when a scheduled boat isn't there on time. They can maybe squeeze it in and get part of the diagnosis done that way. Another way to squeeze jobs in is by asking who wants to work late and do a comp time thing for them. This is a case where I would want my service manager to have been a tech at some point. I have dealt with too many who just pushed paper and had no idea what it takes to do the work.

If they actually push warranty claims back far enough, they won't be paid the full amount, so that's a really stupid thing to do from a business's P&L standpoint. Sure, paperwork is a giant PITA but it has to be done, period. Not calling back is unforgivable and being that casual in e-mails is bad unless you're a really good friend and it has been done that way before.

X2M
07-25-2007, 02:35 PM
They have a monopoly on the brand, that's how. In my area, on average there's one MC dealership every 150 miles or more. And the four or five closest are all actually owned by the same company. They can essentially do whatever they want to the diehard MC owner.

Up there, in NorCal, they don't care if they make the customer happy or not. Why? Because of that monopoly there are 10 people in line behind you that want the same boat. If you want service or warranty work done be prepared to wait....and wait.... they will get to you when they feel like it. :twocents:

So far, my new dealer has been a much better experience. :)

tex
07-25-2007, 02:36 PM
Tex, that answers my question as to whether it's the same people there. Thanks. I never got to the point of having my boat serviced there.

I know, I know. Sorry for bringing up old stuff, but I've got an elephant's memory. I'm glad so many of their customers are of the satisfied variety and that I am the exception.

But like BigMac said, the return phone call thing is just very important to me.
The returned phone call thing was huge to me too. I preached that to my friends there. I think that they were just short on people back in the day that returning phone calls got in the way of turning wrenches. They have fixed that and as I said before, a great bunch of guys.

boofer
07-25-2007, 02:39 PM
Thanks a lot guys. I understand all of the opinions expressed so far.

I understand the service department is going to be busy and I told them that I understood. But, if I were the service manager and my boat came in to my shop, I would stick a tech on it for a quick diagnosis. "Hey Joe, go hook that X-2 up to the computer and let me know what you find." "Hey Boss, that X-2 has a bad ECU." "Okay Joe, I'll order him one and let him know." Time elapsed, maybe 1 hour.

I like what someone said about the "warm fuzzy." Staying in contact with a customer to keep him/her aware of the status of their property is one way to create the warm fuzzy. Overall, the dealership should give the customer the feeling that they are their number one priority even though they may not be at the time.

I am unsure if the ECU is coming from MC or Indmar. My comment about MC just being down the street was regarding the ownership verification for the warranty claim. All it would of taken is a 10 minute local phone call. Now, even if the part is coming from Indmar (which I would bet it is), Indmar is located in Tennessee. It is no more than a 6-7 hour drive. I do not expect them to drive there, but shipping from one side of the state to the other should be fast.

I know that every boat owner who puts their boat in for service should get equal treatment and those who get there first should get priority. But, sometimes as a manager, you have to look at the big picture. Why keep my boat on their lot for 2-3 weeks just for a simple box change? I have studied manufacturing techniques. Sometimes while one job is being done you can take the time to complete another job despite it not being in the flow. First come-first serve can be your standard. But, a manager needs to take in the entire picture and run his shop like the conductor of an orchestra.

I agree to those who have mentioned dealer success and reputation. It is the service after the sale that usually separates the great versus the awful. Selling these boats is easy. Their reputation as one of the best if not the best ski/wake/pleasure boats is undeniable. So, the boats pretty much sell themselves and the sales people answer those little questions and fill out the paperwork.

Remember the first rule of customer service...make the customer happy!

tex
07-25-2007, 02:40 PM
Boofer-I forgot one thing-Good luck with your boat!

east tx skier
07-25-2007, 02:55 PM
The returned phone call thing was huge to me too. I preached that to my friends there. I think that they were just short on people back in the day that returning phone calls got in the way of turning wrenches. They have fixed that and as I said before, a great bunch of guys.

Sprung for some of them phones with the number thingies on them, did they? ;)

I kid, I kid.

That's good to know.

tex
07-25-2007, 03:02 PM
Ask for cell#'s of everyone you can.

east tx skier
07-25-2007, 03:55 PM
Ask for cell#'s of everyone you can.

Okay, now I'm lost.

Monte
07-25-2007, 04:04 PM

I certainly understand that. The point I was making is a rhetorical question: what is the breaking point? At what point does the consumer say enough is enough and make a decision to make the sacrifice to switch brands to a lesser product so they can spend their time on the water instead of the phone with a complacent dealer. I realize that repairs can sometimes take longer than anticipated, but to a consumer, being kept in the loop is always a plus. That is a simple 2 or 3 minute phone call. I also can understand that this is the busy season. That in mind, promises should not be made that are unrealistic for either party.

In all reality I think most of the dealers on this forum are top notch. They come on here to get feedback and answer questions. I would buy from any of those. (Although it will be MC of Charlotte when the time comes) What would scare me are those who do not at least check the boards on a regular basis. Although I know they are busy. It seems they could learn a lot from the actual boat related discussions and threads like this one..

JimN
07-25-2007, 04:27 PM
Boofer- "But, if I were the service manager and my boat came in to my shop, I would stick a tech on it for a quick diagnosis. "Hey Joe, go hook that X-2 up to the computer and let me know what you find." "Hey Boss, that X-2 has a bad ECU." "Okay Joe, I'll order him one and let him know." Time elapsed, maybe 1 hour."

That's not the way it happens. ECM failures are very rare and if the dealer sticks his neck out and decides that he's going to order a new one, he gets nothing if he sends the old one back and they don't find a problem. What you posted is a theoretical, not real-life situation. As much as everyone wants things to happen that way, it's not usually possible and if someone thinks it'll take an hour, it will generally take two or more, just because of Murphy's Law. Sometimes, there's a problem but no codes. Can't replace it if there's no proof and sending it to Indmar for a more thorough diagnosis will take longer. Apparently, yours had an EEPROM failure and a code.

"I know that every boat owner who puts their boat in for service should get equal treatment and those who get there first should get priority. But, sometimes as a manager, you have to look at the big picture."

Big picture- nobody wants to wait. Everyone wants their boat worked on first. That's the reality. I can remember zero customers who would have rather waited for their boat while others were shoehorned into the schedule and unfortunately, the sales departments are usually really good at doing just that. Boats need to be prepped for delivery and the lot boy isn't going to be doing much besides unwrapping, cleaning, gassing it up and moving it into position to be "next". The ability of the service department to juggle many things at one time will make or break their reputation. Who comes first- new boat preps or retail/warranty customers?

"Sometimes while one job is being done you can take the time to complete another job despite it not being in the flow. First come-first serve can be your standard. But, a manager needs to take in the entire picture and run his shop like the conductor of an orchestra."

How much attention to every little detail do you think can be paid if someone is working on more than one boat, when he has a difficult diagnosis on one of them? It's sometimes hard enough to determine the cause of one problem at a time, let alone two completely different ones. As much as someone would like to be able to segregate all of the issues from each boat, it's almost impossible. You don't want someone thinking about another boat when they're working on yours, trust me. Manufacturing techniques are one thing, service is different. Some people can wear roller skates and do several things at one time, some can't.

"So, the boats pretty much sell themselves and the sales people answer those little questions and fill out the paperwork."

Ever been involved in sales of high-ticket items? Nothing really sells itself, and the last thing most sales people want to do is paperwork.

Basically, I'm saying that running service departments can be discussed and debated to death but when it comes to actually doing it, "This is how I want my service department run" can fly right out the window when it gets busy enough. It shouldn't, but some details can be missed and that's where a service team can either shine or really disappoint.

It's time for someone to show that they can shine.

Archimedes
07-25-2007, 04:39 PM
I certainly understand that. The point I was making is a rhetorical question: what is the breaking point? At what point does the consumer say enough is enough and make a decision to make the sacrifice to switch brands to a lesser product so they can spend their time on the water instead of the phone with a complacent dealer.

I'm already there. As much as I love Mastercraft and the product, I don't think I would buy another one while I'm living where I am. Based on my experiences, I would put more weight on the dealer than the manufacturer next time around. Not that there's gonna be a next time. I'm hoping this boat lasts until I'm too old to ski any more.

G-man
07-25-2007, 04:42 PM
I know here it is first come first serve with new boat sale related problems jumping in line. There is a major shortage of techs in the north texas area and this does not help matters. With business being seasonal it is very hard to gear up and take on extra staff because of this. If you look around in other recreational business it seems they to don't quite have the customer service thing down to a fine art. Heck as far as cars go I currently have Chevrolet stumped on a 12 volt accessory outlet. Their books and computers say mine a 3 prongs on the back and there is only 2. A week later and they have no idea what to order. I have a case number now. Boy that makes my day.

Monte
07-25-2007, 04:51 PM
I'm already there. As much as I love Mastercraft and the product, I don't think I would buy another one while I'm living where I am. Based on my experiences, I would put more weight on the dealer than the manufacturer next time around. Not that there's gonna be a next time. I'm hoping this boat lasts until I'm too old to ski any more.

It is a sad state of affairs when you have to make a statement like that.. My boat is old enough to drink this year and still has a lot left in her.. You have nothing to worry about:)

bigmac
07-25-2007, 04:54 PM
I'm already there. As much as I love Mastercraft and the product, I don't think I would buy another one while I'm living where I am. Based on my experiences, I would put more weight on the dealer than the manufacturer next time around. Not that there's gonna be a next time. I'm hoping this boat lasts until I'm too old to ski any more.See, with me it's just the opposite. Given current costs and quality comparisons, I might be inclined toward a different boat brand if it weren't for the quality of my local MasterCraft dealer. I'll pay extra to have a dealer that I'm confident will take care of me.

SkiDog
07-25-2007, 05:32 PM
Let me just say a few words about service, and MY dealer that I use, (which is not in my so called 'territory') I received a call from BAWS the other day,out of the blue, about my new trailer for my new X-2. I didn't call them, they called ME, to tell me the status of it. And this was the Monday, after the memorial service for the owners son! Thats why I deal with BAWS!:) :)

Yellow X9
07-25-2007, 06:33 PM

+2, here. I have always been treated very well by there Service Dept.

norris laker
07-25-2007, 08:32 PM
A recent experience with the Mastercraft dealer in Knoxville was just the opposite experience. I had a problem with the transmission on my 2005 X-2. When I brought the boat to the dealer, the salesman, general manager and a mechanic looked at the boat right away. I received replies to my emails and phone calls. No problem with getting the boat repaired under warranty. Since the boat was being worked on, I had the service department replace the impellor. When I picked up the boat they told me there was no charge for the impellor. I was very pleased with the service I received.

bigmac
07-25-2007, 09:28 PM
A couple of years ago my son was having some body work done on his truck. The local body shop not only called him every day to update him on it's progress, they actually have a web cam in each repair bay so he could log on and see the progress for himself. The tech in charge of the repair comes up on the web page and he could click to send the guy a message...AND THE GUY ACTUALLY ANSWERED EVERY EMAIL.

example...http://www.thebodyworksscc.com/checkvehicle.htm

TX.X-30 fan
07-25-2007, 09:44 PM
. (Although it will be MC of Charlotte when the time comes) What would scare me are those who do not at least check the boards on a regular basis. Although I know they are busy. It seems they could learn a lot from the actual boat related discussions and threads like this one..

Very well said Monte. :wavey:

ME TOOOOOO ;)

JimN
07-25-2007, 10:23 PM
Why are you blaming MC for a seal on the V drive? That's not their fault. BTW- that V drive is in an awful lot of boats with not a lot of problems. What has been happening with yours- just leaking? The only real problem I saw with those was when the drives were painted by Indmar and the seal was painted with the rest and, having no real elasticity, it leaked. Again, not a MC fault.

Could it be that the shaft alignment is off?

rstitson
07-25-2007, 10:51 PM
I received my boat back from the dealers 20 hour service and it overheated as soon as I put it in the water I am 80 minute drive from them. The dealer had seen something similar during service... wildly fluctuating temp gage. They thought reseting the ECU had solved the problem... They came and picked up the boat, the owner said they would switch out a board from another boat if they had to. They found out it was a bad thermostat...replaced impeler / thermostat and brought it back to me before the weekend. I was so relieved/estatic that I have a dealer that does their best. They were very busy at the 20 hour service as they were putting 50 boats in the water that week, i had to pester them a little to get it back in the agreed time , but they took it good naturedly and did their best. I have had a few issues like ladder scratches I had to buff out but I know that the dealership is trying it's best and not everything is perfect. I feel for anyone that has to deal with a overburden, unresponsive or incompetent service department it can be very frustrating.

JimN
07-25-2007, 11:21 PM
They did a good thing by picking the boat up but I don't know why they would think resetting the ECM would affect the temperature gauge. The sender for the gauge is separate from the one that reports to the ECM. If you're referring to the controller for the gauges, there are several indicators for resetting and IIRC, one gauge acting up wasn't one of the reasons. A bad thermostat can be checked by placing hands on various parts of the motor or using an IR thermometer, too.

Trying to get that many boats ready is specifically why I think it's a bad idea for a service manager to shoehorn "just one more boat" into the schedule.

tex
07-25-2007, 11:26 PM
Boy does dealer issues bring out opinions! I'm glad I like my dealer!

JDK
07-25-2007, 11:54 PM
+2, here. I have always been treated very well by there Service Dept.

+3 here.
The dealings I had with them were top notch, and I'm 2000 miles away.

Leroy
07-26-2007, 12:08 AM
Boofer; I understand your need to get the problem solved, but this is generally a bad way to start, even my Lexus dealer would have problems with this and I know I would not get a loaner car.

I emailed the dealer on a Sun night to let them know I wanted to bring my boat in on Mon.

boofer
07-26-2007, 01:39 AM
JimN, I was going to address one of your earlier posts piece by piece but I decided it was going to take too long.

But, here are the things that upset me the most regardless of the exact problem with the boat.

1. Don't tell me to bring it in on a Monday so that you can look at it Tuesday and then not look at it until Thursday. (It took an email to the store manager to get this done)

2. Return my phone calls. (3 unreturned calls, so far)

3. "Yo James". The atmosphere and work ethic of the entire store can be directly related to the attitude of the boss.

4. Warranty claims are part of the job you get paid to do. So, do it.

5. A phone call to MC to verify ownership and receive authorization for a warranty repair instead of using email.

I finally got a chance to talk to my brother regarding our boat. He has spent over 20 years selling boats of all varieties in Florida. We both agreed that the service department should make each customer "feel" as if their boat is the only boat they are working on. Give them the proverbial "warm fuzzy." Be honest with them and keep them involved in the process.

MC boats pretty much sell themselves on reputation alone as one of the elites in the boating business. Browse the boating message boards. There is one overall tone. You can pay less for other boats, but if you want quality buy a Mastercraft. Unfortunately, what happens with a boat after it leaves the MC factory is all up to the dealer. And it is the dealer who sets the tone for what kind of business they want to do. I do not think that many would argue with me that a dealer's true reputation comes from their service after the sale. With the exception of one of the earlier posts, I have heard nothing but bad about my dealer.

As a caveat, I can not say for sure, but I think that the service manager has no maintenance training whatsoever. "She" is nothing more than a office worker with a cute smile and the title of service manager. It is apparent that she is merely relaying information to me. She hasn't a clue about what she is telling me. Now, how can this person effectively run a service department? The service manager needs to be just that; a manager.

I am from the mind set that you treat people with respect and honesty. I also believe that you should check up on the work being performed and accept nothing but perfection. Create an atmosphere of pride within your shop. People work best when they know that the work they are doing is appreciated and they will work even harder.

Just an update. I called today to learn that the part is in and that I can take my boat in tomorrow. I did not even feel like asking about when to expect to have it back. So, we'll see.

PS
JimN,
I know that there is a chance that replacing the part might not fix the boat.

boofer
07-26-2007, 01:43 AM
Leroy,

The email was just a quick "heads up" to let them know they would have another boat coming in; nothing more.

boofer
07-26-2007, 02:03 AM
ECM failures are very rare and if the dealer sticks his neck out and decides that he's going to order a new one, he gets nothing if he sends the old one back and they don't find a problem.

I spoke with another dealer; one whom I trust. He said, "The dealer simply needs to contact MasterCraft and obtain an autho code...there is no explanation necessary from the dealer as to why it died."

Ric
07-26-2007, 08:46 AM
..................... Wow .

JimN
07-26-2007, 10:23 AM
RE: points 1 through 5- I agree completely. You didn't say much about the "service manager", so I assumed they had a real one. It's probably safe to assume that she has no experience as a tech- there are very few women who do that.

You also shouldn't have to read their mind in order to know when your parts are in. I have the same problem with a couple of equipment suppliers. I had to call yesterday to find out that "I should probably tell whoever takes the order that I want to be called when it comes in". Yeah? The customer shouldn't need to tell them that they want to be called.

If I were you, I would be talking with the GM (if they have one) or the owner. Document all of the problems with this transaction and if they want to let things slide or make it sound trivial, let them know it won't be accepted. Also, "telling people what they want to hear" is a really bad way to do business but there are a lot of people in service departments who do just that.

jkski
07-26-2007, 12:03 PM
After reading all of these stories about dealers I have to say that I am very fortunate to have a GREAT dealer in Boat House Marine. The people there are extremely helpful and know their stuff. I recently had a problem where my fuel pump died, much like many others. The dealer diagnosed my problem over the phone, lent me their truck to tow it to the dealership(as I did not have my tow vehicle that day), then they stayed after hours to get my boat fixed.
To me this is way above and beyond, however, I see them do it all of the time, regardless of the brand of boat that may come through their gates. They are customer focused and work hard to meet the demands each customer, and we all know that given our fairly small window to use our toys, we can all be a bit impatient.
Thanks Boat House Marine.

03 35th Anniversary
07-26-2007, 12:08 PM
Boy does dealer issues bring out opinions! I'm glad I like my dealer!You and Me both..........

Travis Marine
07-26-2007, 03:37 PM
Yo James,

It is amazing with all the problems that you are so called "having" with us that you have just dropped off the boat yet again. We have gone the extra mile for you and put your boat in front of many of our valued customers that actually purchased their boat here. We have also convinced Mastercraft to warranty the part that was probably damaged durning an owner installation. Which is not covered under the written warranty. James, if you are so unsatisfied with the service I encrourage you to take you boat back to your selling dealer. And as to your commet about our service department not being open on saturdays you are COMPLETLEY wrong! Service is here from 10-2 on Sat. and they have been for years.

jaysus
07-26-2007, 03:49 PM
:eek3: ....................

dmayer84
07-26-2007, 03:58 PM
:popcorn:...........

JimN
07-26-2007, 03:58 PM
jkski- what your dealer did is exactly what the owner (post company takeover) hated us doing. He wanted everyone to go home at closing time, every night, with no exceptions. He didn't want anyone being there when the place was "closed" but he didn't understand that there were more hours of service work needed than official business hours.

Maristar210
07-26-2007, 04:10 PM
Yo James,

It is amazing with all the problems that you are so called "having" with us that you have just dropped off the boat yet again. We have gone the extra mile for you and put your boat in front of many of our valued customers that actually purchased their boat here. We have also convinced Mastercraft to warranty the part that was probably damaged durning an owner installation. Which is not covered under the written warranty. James, if you are so unsatisfied with the service I encrourage you to take you boat back to your selling dealer. And as to your commet about our service department not being open on saturdays you are COMPLETLEY wrong! Service is here from 10-2 on Sat. and they have been for years.

This statement is not one I would expect to get from a dealer on a site that is certainly frequented by many dealers. It contains a level of unprofessionalism I would not expect from an MC dealer no matter the situation. I hope "Travis Marine" is not the service manager because coming in here and confirming the "Yo James" is a completely inappropriate method in which to conduct business with a client.

While I am usually first in line to goof off I would not have chosen this path under any circumstance. Good thing I don't live near there....

Monte
07-26-2007, 04:17 PM
Dang!!:noface: :popcorn:

bigmac
07-26-2007, 04:23 PM
Interesting development...certainly not a direct tete-a tete that we've seen before on TeamTalk...:popcorn:

Well, OK..there was the sunken boat saga of H2OGirl...

east tx skier
07-26-2007, 04:30 PM
This statement is not one I would expect to get from a dealer on a site that is certainly frequented by many dealers. It contains a level of unprofessionalism I would not expect from an MC dealer no matter the situation. I hope "Travis Marine" is not the service manager because coming in here and confirming the "Yo James" is a completely inappropriate method in which to conduct business with a client.

While I am usually first in line to goof off I would not have chosen this path under any circumstance. Good thing I don't live near there....

Yo, Steve. So much for the customer always being right. Does explain a lot. :o

Travis Marine
07-26-2007, 04:44 PM
Just an update to everyone. Come to find out that Mr Boofers problem with his MasterCraft is not the ECU. It was caused by a lose wire or wires under the dash, which were more than likely caused during the self installation of the depth finder (which my techs discoved while trying to find the real problem and not just change parts). We are happy that we could find the real problem and that Mr Boofer will be able to boat ths weekend.

East Texas Skier- Your statement of " the customer is always right" is the way that we choose 99% of the time, but when someone chooses to throw mud on your company and directly on your service manager,that is unjustified, there comes a point in which you must defend yourself. That is all we are doing.

Jkelly
07-26-2007, 05:08 PM
:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

east tx skier
07-26-2007, 05:30 PM
East Texas Skier- Your statement of " the customer is always right" is the way that we choose 99% of the time, but when someone chooses to throw mud on your company and directly on your service manager,that is unjustified, there comes a point in which you must defend yourself. That is all we are doing.

I don't believe the name of your company or sales manager was ever mentioned (or maybe the mods deleted that part). I, for one, had no idea until you posted.

But that aside, I'll bet this could have been avoided by returning the customer's phone calls (if that is something that you guys, in fact, overlooked (I don't want to assume anything, but he made a pretty big deal about it and you didn't address it in your posts above). That's just one of those things that only takes a second, but can really keep relations between dealer and customer in a good place.

Maristar210
07-26-2007, 05:37 PM
Just an update to everyone. Come to find out that Mr Boofers problem with his MasterCraft is not the ECU. It was caused by a lose wire or wires under the dash, which were more than likely caused during the self installation of the depth finder (which my techs discoved while trying to find the real problem and not just change parts). We are happy that we could find the real problem and that Mr Boofer will be able to boat ths weekend.

Unprofessionaly by coming on this board and your opening remark is "Yo James"???. Right, wrong or otherwise your response was not one that paints an MC dealer in a good light and not one I have ever seen from the other dealers on this site. Just my $.02 but I think you found the real issue and decided to throw it back in his face. I seriously doubt he will be back to see you I sure as hell would not and since you have identified your business with your screen name I am sure you have surpassed all others with the ability for the members of this forum to form an impression in only two posts....

Roonie's
07-26-2007, 05:41 PM
I don't believe the name of your company or sales manager was ever mentioned (or maybe the mods deleted that part). I, for one, had no idea until you posted.

But that aside, I'll bet this could have been avoided by returning the customer's phone calls (if that is something that you guys, in fact, overlooked (I don't want to assume anything, but he made a pretty big deal about it and you didn't address it in your posts above). That's just one of those things that only takes a second, but can really keep relations between dealer and customer in a good place.

I second that as I never knew what dealer he was talking about until the response.

The Yo part bugs me too, very unprofessional and I would expect more from an MC dealer, manager, or anyone whom corresponds with me about work being done on my 60k toy.

east tx skier
07-26-2007, 05:53 PM
I second that as I never knew what dealer he was talking about until the response.

The Yo part bugs me too, very unprofessional and I would expect more from an MC dealer, manager, or anyone whom corresponds with me about work being done on my 60k toy.

I prefer the formal "usted" or even the informal "tu" to "yo."

Pero eso es apenas mí. Dos pesos mios ;)

TX.X-30 fan
07-26-2007, 06:08 PM
I think the original post by boofer was somewhat misleading. When I saw the other thread about installing the depth finder it started to make more sense. Then to say he had a bad ECM when he knew it was most likely something he had done messing with the depth finder IMHO was not forthright.

Boofer please don't take offence here, but Travis marine makes a good point. Whose boat gets special treatment the guy who just spent 80,000k with them or your boat.

I think there is a chance if you had been honest with them and told the tech what you had been doing under there they might have seen the problem on the spot.

Glad your boat is fixed, head for the pedernales and don't look back. :D

tex
07-26-2007, 06:12 PM
Let's not mess the place up.
We can handle this in private.

Let's go to your office.

I'll make some drinks for us all.
We'll talk about it. Come on.

03 35th Anniversary
07-26-2007, 07:40 PM
But that aside, I'll bet this could have been avoided by returning the customer's phone calls.
That was the first thing that popped into my mind while reading his defense post to you.

Travis Marine why didn't you address the fact that your service manager told him he would look at the boat on Tues. Then not returning phone calls on Wed. A service manger knows when he has 2 weeks worth of boats on his lot when he answers the phone. He knows if he will really look at the boat on Tues. or if that is just something he is saying to pacify the customer. Also I would not think that if I bought my boat their that. That would effect the quality of service I was getting. It would help in the deciding factor on where my next boat would be bought at.

Travis Marine I am very very interested in your answers. I would like to know just to see things from your side of the table.

Maristar210
07-26-2007, 07:42 PM
I think the original post by boofer was somewhat misleading. \

It sure was. He was not forthright. That does not excuse the response.

Maybe its a "Southern thing" Your from the south aren't you TX- x30?

:D 8p :D 8p

J/k

tex
07-26-2007, 07:47 PM
Texas-Yo
I don't thinks so!

Can anybody ID the quote from my previous post?

Maristar210
07-26-2007, 08:02 PM
Let's not mess the place up.
We can handle this in private.

Let's go to your office.

I'll make some drinks for us all.
We'll talk about it. Come on.

Sopranos ?

norris laker
07-26-2007, 08:08 PM
As mentioned in a previous post, I am a Travis customer that had a very good experience with the service department at Travis. When I brought the boat in they looked at it right away. I was told it might be a week before they could work on the boat because of their busy schedule. This was a big problem since I had friends coming for the weekend. I never viewed this as Travis' problem. It was my problem and I never whined or complained about them working on the boat sooner or giving me preferential treatment over another customer waiting to have their boat worked on. BTW, I also bought the boat from Travis. I played with the cards that were dealt me and still had a great time with the friends.

When I brought the boat in for service, I also brought the cover for the boat. Travis never reminded me to bring it nor would I have ever expected a dealer to remind me to cover my boat.

Boat was repaired under warranty and Travis also replaced my impellor for free. I have no reservations about having Travis work on my boat or buying another boat from Travis.

TX.X-30 fan
07-26-2007, 08:42 PM
It sure was. He was not forthright. That does not excuse the response.

Maybe its a "Southern thing" Your from the south aren't you TX- x30?

J/k

Hey what the he!! is up with that lower case X.:(

Honestly its an Austin thang, Its just not like anywhere else in Texas. theirs rednecks, hippies, democrats:eek:, wakeboard dudes and all in-between. Its hard to Explain why he was so informal to a customer, but that doesnt mean he intentionally was trying to be disrespectful IMHO.

This could have been a win-win for everyone involved with better communication as was stated by jim and eastie.

As for you 210 don't make me come up there and drag you out in the shop and find one of those metal bending machines and turn you into a human origami. :D :D

Maristar210
07-26-2007, 08:55 PM
Hey TX-X-30 Don't try and dazzle me with your photographic attachments. That only works on the high school kids who sniff paint on the weekends. Not very effective :D

Agreed on the rest......

but you still suck 8p :D

TX.X-30 fan
07-26-2007, 09:36 PM
Hey TX-X-30 Don't try and dazzle me with your photographic attachments. That only works on the high school kids who sniff paint on the weekends. Not very effective

Agreed on the rest......

but you still suck

Did I mention my seats are pink. :D

Where is 02 Lightining when we need him. :rolleyes: ;)

Oh' and by the way you also suck. 8p

Waketn
07-26-2007, 09:39 PM
I have been a customer of this dealer for years. As a matter of fact, I just left the dealership a few hours ago. I had to drop my boat off for service and was running far behind. I called them and they said some one would be waiting for me, this was about an 1 hour after they closed. Rember don't let one apple spoil the whole bunch! just my thoughts..

TMCNo1
07-26-2007, 09:54 PM
I have been a customer of this dealer for years. As a matter of fact, I just left the dealership a few hours ago. I had to drop my boat off for service and was running far behind. I called them and they said some one would be waiting for me, this was about an 1 hour after they closed. Rember don't let one apple spoil the whole bunch! just my thoughts..

You have a boat and what do you know about boats? :confused: I thought all your toys were inflatables!:rolleyes: Lynn says HeeeeeeeeeeY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:uglyhamme

Maristar210
07-26-2007, 10:34 PM
Did I mention my seats are pink. :D

Where is 02 Lightining when we need him. :rolleyes: ;)

Oh' and by the way you also suck. 8p

Man O Man I just about fell off my Ric's garage stool reading that.
That stuff is funny fer sure..... THANKS !!!

boofer
07-27-2007, 12:08 AM
Okay, it's my turn.

I phoned them yesterday to learn that the part was in and that I could bring my boat back. I took it in today. When I asked the person how long it would take they told me that only the service manager could give me an idea. At this time I did not feel like speaking to her and decided that I would take my number and wait. I had been up since 3:30am and I did not feel like discussing the situation. But, a funny thing happened as I was pulling out of the parking lot. A fellow yelled at me, "Yo James, nice to see you" (or something cordial). My first thought was this is the store manager.

Well, when I got home there was a message on my answering machine. It was the store manager. He mentioned this post and wanted to talk. So, I called him. First of all, he was not the guy at the parking lot. We had about a 30 minute conversation. Here is my account of what was said.

He apologized for the missed phone calls. But, he also told me that there was no way that they could possibly return all of the calls they get in a day. Well, I will leave that one up to the masses to decide. Personally, I was happy to hear the apology, but I could of done without the excuses. I think we talked about the "look at it Tuesday thing," but whatever was said I cannot recall. One thing that he did say that he was quite adamant about was that he gives people who bought their boats from him special treatment. I found this comment to be somewhat puzzling. I mentioned that although I had gone out of state to buy my boat (a deal I could not pass up), there was another MC owner in the neighborhood and that should be good news for him. He somewhat agreed, but he still stood by his "my customers come first ethic." Now, people could probably argue this both ways. But, I thought that buying an MC was more important than who you buy it from. Now, as far as the "Yo" thing. He said that this was his standard greeting for as long as he could remember. He said that he would address any VP or Pres of a company this way. I told him that I would not do it that way. But, this is my personal opinion. The overall tone of the conversation was polite.

Okay, round two. He calls me back not long after I got back home from his dealership. I should mention that he was calling me from out of town. He informs me that the ECU was not the culprit and that it was a loose wiring connection. He says that more than likely it was loosened when I installed a depth finder. He says that the tech had taken the time to check the wiring and found the loose connector. He said that my boat was ready to pick up and that there was no charge. He also mentioned that people at the store were aware of this post and were not happy. I told him that I wanted to apologize to his service manager. Why? I just felt like the "pretty smile" comment was not appropriate and I may of been a little to critical of her in particular (but, she does have a pretty smile and she has always been extremely polite).

I returned to the store to pick up my boat and they handed me a $153 bill. I told them that I was informed that there would not be any charge. The person went to check with someone else and returned to tell me that they would "eat this one" (smiling). I said "Thank you" and I apologized for the situation.

The technician who fixed my boat told me what he had found. It was a wiring connector behind the driver's side kick panel. He said it was ever so slightly loose and they did some things to tighten the leads and zip-tied the connector for extra hold. I told him that when I installed the depth finder I only went behind the kick panel once to push the depth finder wiring connector over the top so that I could connect the harness. The only conclusion he had (and I concurred), was that this connection was already loose and I might have bumped it just enough to cause the wires to lose contact. I apologized for the trouble and that I really appreciated his tracing down the problem. Honestly, I did write them or tell them early on that if it was something more than a simple ECU swap that I would have no problem taking my number and waiting.

The service manager assisted me in hitching up the trailer. I apologized to her and expressed my thanks to her and the technician for what they had done.

Now, at some point they learned about this post. I do not know who registered with TMC and posted the two messages I have read so far. But, I am confident that it is not the store manager. To this person I will say that your post was heavy with sarcasm and I do not appreciate it one bit. I do not think that your boss is not going to appreciate you getting on this board and talking to me the way you have while using your store name as your user ID. Until you registered and posted, I had not once mentioned the store by name or any person by name.

I did not feel as if I were hiding anything about the depth finder installation. The ECU trouble arose after I had finished the installation. Matter of fact, after I finished the depth finder installation, I turned the key to the ON position to check to see if the depth finder was being acknowledged by the MMDC. The depth finder read something (as did the air temp gauge which came with the depth finder(simple two wire hook up)) and at no point did I get the ECU message and all of my gauges worked. It was not until we had loaded the boat that night for the next morning that I turned the key to the ON position to check the fuel level and the state of the battery that I got the ECU message. Now, should I have informed them of the depth finder installation? In hindsight, maybe I should have.

Will I ever take my boat to them again? At this point in time, that one is 50/50. I think that it all depends on the nature of the problem. I disagree with the store managers service ethic and his unique salutation. But, that is just me.

I think that this situation was plagued by a lack of communication. If I could get the store manager to do anything it would be to place more emphasis on communication with customers; and not just customers who bought their boats from him.

poorman with a prostar
07-27-2007, 12:34 AM
Well........ I'm new here, I thought dealers were to represent mastercraft in a positive way. Nothing positive here.:confused:

Archimedes
07-27-2007, 01:26 AM
Your boat's running fine. You do some electrical work on your boat. Shortly thereafter you have an electrical problem. You take the boat in to the dealer but you don't mention the work you just did. :rolleyes:

You can rip the dealer for poor service, but the fact is you could probably have avoided the whole mess and had your boat back in a day if you started the conversation with..."I just installed a depth finder myself and now..."

jkski
07-27-2007, 08:42 AM
jkski- what your dealer did is exactly what the owner (post company takeover) hated us doing. He wanted everyone to go home at closing time, every night, with no exceptions. He didn't want anyone being there when the place was "closed" but he didn't understand that there were more hours of service work needed than official business hours.

Jim N.-
I can easily see where a dealership owner might frown upon this and quite frankly, the people who work for a dealership have lives and families that they need to be able to spend time with. With that said, my statements are simply that of appreciation for going above and beyond anything that I as an ordinary customer would expect, and the fact that they are willing to do such things without me even asking or suggesting that I would be upset in any way, well, that is customer service.

JimN
07-27-2007, 09:40 AM
"With that said, my statements are simply that of appreciation for going above and beyond anything that I as an ordinary customer would expect,"

That's why we stayed late and went "above and beyond". We knew the customers would appreciate it and it helps everyone. There were three owners at that point- two active and one "silent". The founder of the company was the one who would stay later than anyone else and it wasn't because he was stealing, he was doing more than anyone else in the company. He sold boats and anything else, did a lot of set-up, made sure boats were ready for next-day demos, came up with ideas for events and promos and his enthusiasm was very contagious. For this, he was thanked by being squeezed out of the company by the other two partners.

Going "above and beyond" shouldn't be expected, it should be appreciated. You appreciate it, many don't. In my experience, it's hard enough to find someone who will do what was asked, let alone anything extra and doing everything correctly is even less likely. I may be hard to please, but I don't think so- I just want things done right. What you posted is definitely "customer service". Good CS is hard to find and I'm afraid most companies just do what they think defines "Good CS", but there are companies that train people for this and it really makes a difference. People who have no previous retail experience shouldn't just open a store and "let 'er rip!", but they do. This causes problems for their customers and their companies.

I made some calls about a new catalytic converter yesterday and not a single person remembered a single thing I told them for more than a few seconds. Every one of them repeatedly asked the make/model, motor size, diameter and all of the rest. They must all want to conserve paper and pencils. Or, something.

MYMC
07-27-2007, 09:45 AM
:twocents: from the greatest of all "armchair QBs"

#1: There has been a very recent court ruling that putting a customer to the end of the line just because they didnt buy the boat there is illegal. MasterCraft as of this year now has a strict policy of no tolerance in regards to this.

#2: There are labor laws...even the most enthusiastic dealership and employee have to comply with that prevents you from working 24/7.

#3: I hate the internet...it is one thing to say you had a problem (no names mentioned that I know of by the poster) and look to peers for ways of resolution but it is quite another when these forum boards get used as a weapon. Just because someone had a less than stellar experience does not mean that you or anyone else will have the same. Everyone has good days and bad...

#4: Everyone gets frustrated...like my mom used to say "if you loose you head your a$$ will soon follow".

east tx skier
07-27-2007, 09:53 AM
:twocents: from the greatest of all "armchair QBs"

#1: There has been a very recent court ruling that putting a customer to the end of the line just because they didnt buy the boat there is illegal. MasterCraft as of this year now has a strict policy of no tolerance in regards to this.

#2: There are labor laws...even the most enthusiastic dealership and employee have to comply with that prevents you from working 24/7.

#3: I hate the internet...it is one thing to say you had a problem (no names mentioned that I know of by the poster) and look to peers for ways of resolution but it is quite another when these forum boards get used as a weapon. Just because someone had a less than stellar experience does not mean that you or anyone else will have the same. Everyone has good days and bad...

#4: Everyone gets frustrated...like my mom used to say "if you loose you head your a$$ will soon follow".

Oh come on, you love the internet(s) you model of customer service you. :)

May the wind fill your sales (that's a pun) and may all phone calls be returned.

JimN
07-27-2007, 09:56 AM
"I did not feel as if I were hiding anything about the depth finder installation. The ECU trouble arose after I had finished the installation."

boofer-

You absolutely should have told them about this. The cause won't necessarily be obvious, the boat won't tell them and they don't read minds. If work has been done to anything and a problem arises, whoever will be trying to fix it needs to know what happened before the trouble started. Whether it's a major or minor problem, doesn't matter. The problem didn't exist before the depth finder was installed and even if you didn't actually "break" anything, you were working in that area and changed something. Part of doing service on anything is being able to determine what isn't obvious or expressed by the customer. Some things are apparent immediately upon inspection, like the cut warning buzzer for the 2 cycle oil bottle on the jet boat (which he cut because it was annoying him) caused the motor to scatter all over the engine compartment. Others, like the motor in the boat that "needs a tune up", but had been overheated AND frozen. The overheat caused the gasket sealant on the head gaskets to fail (I warned him about this as soon as I saw the sealant) and the freeze cracked the cylinder wall. He could have saved a lot of my time and his dad's money if he had told me up front, but I suspect that he didn't because his dad would have really PO'd when he found out.

Diesel
07-27-2007, 10:00 AM
Yo James,

Yo Travis............I am sure glad you are not my dealer. :rolleyes:

You might want to rethink your logic and try to identify your true customers. Not the guys that drop a few c-notes on gear but the guys spending $60k+ on new MCs.

I am in my early thirty's and I don't find that type of address acceptable. Try Sir, Mr., or Dr. next time and I would be real quick to correct you if you addressed me that way.:(

Monte
07-27-2007, 10:07 AM
Yo Travis............I am sure glad you are not my dealer. :rolleyes:

You might want to rethink your logic and try to identify your true customers. Not the guys that drop a few c-notes on gear but the guys spending $60k+ on new MCs.

I am in my early thirty's and I don't find that type of address acceptable. Try Sir or Mr. next time and I would be real quick to correct you if you addressed me that way.:(

If I were a betting man I would lay big $$$$ on a corporate phone call and a serious staff meeting this morning;)

Boofer, JimN is correct, in my opinion you should have disclosed the installation of the depth finder/ and the timing of your problems.

Of course hindsight is always 20/20...

JimN
07-27-2007, 10:17 AM
Telling the people doing the service about work done by someone else isn't 20/20 hindsight, it's information that is absolutely necessary.

I actually enjoy the looks of surprise and the stammering when I ask about something that the person specifically had avoided mentioning.

Monte
07-27-2007, 10:21 AM
Telling the people doing the service about work done by someone else isn't 20/20 hindsight, it's information that is absolutely necessary.

I agree Jim.. The hindsight 20/20 of this situation is that now he knows to disclose the info...

norris laker
07-27-2007, 11:10 AM
Deisel, not sure I understand your quote "You might want to rethink your logic and try to identify your true customers. Not the guys that drop a few c-notes on gear but the guys spending $60k+ on new MCs."

The boat in question was not purchased from Travis. From what I read, Travis said that they give preferential treatment to guys that spend $60K on a new MC from them and not to somebody that purchases a boat from another dealer and then expects to get moved ahead of the "true customer". If a customer buys a new boat every year from the same dealer, why do you think it is wrong for the dealer to give them preferential treatment over somebody that bought their boat from another dealer? Price should not be the only determining factor in buying a boat. I appreciate a dealer that gives me preferential treatment for buying the boat from them and I will show my appreciation by continuing to buy from that dealer.

whirli
07-27-2007, 11:16 AM
my dealer charged me $1500 to replace a $150 fuel pump. They couldn't figure out what was wrong with the boat, kept trying new things, I kept asking them, "are you sure it isn't just the fuel pump?" They assured me it wasn't. Well guess who has allot lighter wallet, and a new fuel pump.

Boat runs fine now.

tex
07-27-2007, 11:18 AM
I guess I'm old school but if I bring my boat to you-fix it when you promise! I don't know what Travis did or didn't do but you should treat all your service customers like their preferred. If a guy brings his bu or SN ahead of me...I would hope for their sake that theirs first. If I get put on the back burner because I bought a used boat off the street...I know where I'm not looking for a new boat!

Diesel
07-27-2007, 12:05 PM
Deisel, not sure I understand your quote "You might want to rethink your logic and try to identify your true customers. Not the guys that drop a few c-notes on gear but the guys spending $60k+ on new MCs."

The boat in question was not purchased from Travis. From what I read, Travis said that they give preferential treatment to guys that spend $60K on a new MC from them and not to somebody that purchases a boat from another dealer and then expects to get moved ahead of the "true customer". If a customer buys a new boat every year from the same dealer, why do you think it is wrong for the dealer to give them preferential treatment over somebody that bought their boat from another dealer? Price should not be the only determining factor in buying a boat. I appreciate a dealer that gives me preferential treatment for buying the boat from them and I will show my appreciation by continuing to buy from that dealer.

What don't you understand?:confused:

It's not about where you buy your boat from, a customer is a customer and should be treated with respect. Come on do you think this is the last MC he is going to buy? And if Travis really gives people who did not buy there boats from them the cold shoulder when they come in how do they ever expect to earn the customer's business? :confused: Talk about short sighted.

Why did he go out of state in the first place? He probably walked into Travis to fork over $60k+ and the guy said Yo, dude whatzzz up? I'd go out of state too.

djhuff
07-27-2007, 12:41 PM
My fuel pump went out on June 30. I took the boat to the dealer and had it back by noon on July 3 (they had to get the pump from the other store). All this while there was a 2 week backlog for repairs, but I have bought more than one boat from this dealer, and pull tournaments and do demos for them. Honestly, I would expect a little preferential treatment with all of that. I don't, however, believe in pushing everyone to the back of the line when a new boat comes in. Now making a little extra effort to work a boat in over another is fine if you know that boat will be right back on the water (read: free advertising), but continually bumping boats back because they are a different brand, or purchased elsewhere is a different story. Now if it's Friday, and there is time for one more boat to get fixed before the weekend, and it's between a Bu and an MC, I would expect the MC dealer to fix the MC first, and likewise for the Bu dealer.

Another thing to remember is that Tipping is not a city in China. I've also been known to invite the service guys out to go riding on occaision.

tex
07-27-2007, 12:42 PM
My service guys regularly get 12/18 packs.

Monte
07-27-2007, 12:47 PM
My service guy gets runs almost every time I go out.. It helps that he lives across the street..

boofer
07-27-2007, 01:17 PM
Okay, my last post was an effort to try and put some closure to this situation. Let me try again and use some of the information since my last post.

I should of informed them of the depth finder installation. I made a mistake and I apologize. I know better now. More than likely the wiring connector was loose from the factory and it was only a matter of time before it became loose enough to create problems.

I wish that the person from the store would of never of posted. I had no intent at any time of naming names. Matter of fact, one only needs to read the first line in my first post to know why I posted.

I am just in the mood to vent a little.

In the end the dealer did give me special treatment; very special treatment. He put me ahead of everyone else and as a result I, unlike others who had boats in his shop, will be on the water this weekend. I expressed my thanks several times to the service manager, the tech, and the store manager. I also apologized to everyone for this post creating such an uproar within his store (everyone there knows who I am now).

So, in a nutshell. I think they could of done a better job of returning my calls. I was not happy being told my boat would be looked at on Tuesday and come to find on Wednesday that they had not looked at it. "Yo." Well, let's drop this one. I do not agree with this manner, but we are all individuals.

Now, on the matter of giving people who buy boats from your store preferential treatment. I think that I said previously it could be argued both ways with valid points to both sides. All I can say is that when I purchased an MC, regardless of who or where I purchased it from, I was joining a family; an elite family.

The store manager and I hashed things out on the phone. We came to an understanding in a very civil and polite manner. Yes, I still disagree with certain things, but that is when you compromise and that is what we did.

Am I still bitter? Not really. I think that the store and myself could of done things differently to avoid this whole mess. I learned some things and I hope that they did as well.

KnoxX2
07-27-2007, 01:24 PM
SOUNDS GOOD

NOW lets get on to the important things like getting out on the water.

When it comes down to it, that is all we want to do "hit the lake"

We all need to get some runs in then have a beer and look forward.....

Boofer: Glad you can get out this weekend.
Hope to see you up a Norris sometime!

PendO
07-27-2007, 01:33 PM
I should of informed them of the depth finder installation. I made a mistake and I apologize. I know better now. More than likely the wiring connector was loose from the factory and it was only a matter of time before it became loose enough to create problems.

You have the audacity to come on the board and whine about service when in fact you created the problem, and then you take it to the dealer and don't tell them about what led to the problem, and then you attempt to be thankful for their service, after baggin' them out ... what a class act!

TMCNo1
07-27-2007, 01:51 PM
This thread is CLOSED

TX.X-30 fan
07-27-2007, 01:54 PM
This thread is CLOSED

:cry: :cry: :cry: :D

milkmania
07-27-2007, 01:59 PM
kinda the same topic....
my travel trailer warranty department treats me very well....

and I treat them well too

http://www.pearsalltexas.com/images/pizza_hut.jpg

:twocents:

shouldn't have to be like that, and it was never expected of me..... I do it on my own!

Maristar210
07-27-2007, 02:35 PM
Die Thread Die

milkmania
07-27-2007, 02:44 PM
Die Thread Die

here ya go;)

beatle78
07-27-2007, 02:44 PM
Bump? HEHEHEHE

Ric
07-27-2007, 03:15 PM
My service guys regularly get 12/18 packs. That's right... I forgot about Rodlt taking his team boat there and those guys leaving the empties in the boat after the test run:rolleyes:

Maristar210
07-27-2007, 03:21 PM
That's right... I forgot about Rodlt taking his team boat there and those guys leaving the empties in the boat after the test run:rolleyes:

It could have been worse....

(condoms)

Have a nice weekend Rickie !!!!

east tx skier
07-27-2007, 04:06 PM
Spider Pig (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDNkLM2aK-g).
Spider Pig.
Does whatever a Spider Pig does.
Can he swing from a web?
No he cant.
He's a pig.
Look out ...
He is the Spider Pig!

Monte
07-27-2007, 04:15 PM
Spider Pig (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDNkLM2aK-g).
Spider Pig.
Does whatever a Spider Pig does.
Can he swing from a web?
No he cant.
He's a pig.
Look out ...
He is the Spider Pig!

The Simpsons the movie???

east tx skier
07-27-2007, 04:16 PM
The Simpsons the movie???

Is very, very funny. Better than this thread anyway. :)

Monte
07-27-2007, 04:18 PM
Is very, very funny. Better than this thread anyway. :)

This thread sucks... I am going to see The Simpsons soon..

Is it kidsafe??

east tx skier
07-27-2007, 04:19 PM
This thread sucks... I am going to see The Simpsons soon..

Is it kidsafe??

Apart from full frontal nudity and blasphemy, probably safer than most.

/I are serious.

Monte
07-27-2007, 04:21 PM

/I are serious.

Well, May have to save that one for date night with the Mrs.

Thanks for the heads up....

east tx skier
07-27-2007, 04:36 PM
I didn't mean to make it sound bad. It's PG-13. The local news is worse.

Monte
07-27-2007, 04:39 PM
It's PG-13. The local news is worse.

Tru Dat..

I just dodged a bullet watching Transformers with my son:o Just don't want to press my luck...

east tx skier
07-27-2007, 04:42 PM
Oh yeah, Homer gives the entire town the double bird (or he would have if he actually had middle fingers). So we've got two "quick cover their eyes" moments and one, "cough really loud so they don't hear Marge say something" moment.

PendO
07-28-2007, 01:33 AM

/I are serious.

man, I saw a southpark episode last night with Ben Afleck and Jen Garner (hand puppet) ... wow, that was ... interesting