PDA

View Full Version : Looking At a new X1 - opinions?

dwood
07-25-2007, 09:36 AM
I have a friend looking at a new X1, he has 5 girls, half board and half ski. He is looking for some opinions regarding this model as a great all around boat or are there better models to consider?

Roonie's
07-25-2007, 09:42 AM
It is a great boat. Have him demo some other models close to the same length and that will help him make up his mind.

dwood
07-25-2007, 09:57 AM
Thanks.
He is looking to have it for this weekend - his local dealer has one in stock but wanted some expert opinions.
This will be his first MC.

Maristar210
07-25-2007, 10:06 AM
If he is buying an entry level and thus lower priced MC then the X1 will suffice. If he has a little wiggle room look at the X-14...

dwood
07-25-2007, 10:37 AM
Thanks, I will have him look at the X-14.

mccobmd
07-25-2007, 10:42 AM
I looked at both X1 and X14, I still have smaller children and the mid engine gets in the way of traffic flow some. The X1 will have a bigger wake which is same as an I/O but not as small as X14. The one guy I know says that even with weight it's hard to get a really good wake for boarding past the beginner level. Really depends on where they want the emphasis.

bobx1
07-25-2007, 10:43 AM
We love ours. When loaded, puts out a serious wake. When empty, puts out a decent ski wake. Can get a bit cramped when more than 8 people are on board. We usually have 5-7 people on board and they are all comfortable. If you think the kids are going to lean more toward wakeboarding then this is the ticket. If they are going to get more serious about skiing, you may want to look into a direct drive.

KnoxX2
07-25-2007, 10:44 AM
Tell him to go for it you can't go wrong with a MC.

Congrats and welcome to the family.

endl
07-25-2007, 10:52 AM
I have a friend looking at a new X1, he has 5 girls, half board and half ski. He is looking for some opinions regarding this model as a great all around boat or are there better models to consider?
Thats a lot of people in that boat. He would benefit from the space gained on a X-2 with the front end room. Price may be an issue on that.

dwood
07-25-2007, 11:05 AM
Really appreciate the input!!

P-hat_in_Cincy
07-25-2007, 11:35 AM
...he has 5 girls, half board and half ski.
2.5 board + 2.5 ski? :D Sorry...:o

The 205v hull was arguably in the top 3 wakeboard wake producing hulls and is still highly sought after. With that being said, I have a friend that boards, slaloms, trick skis, and barefoots (has an X9 now), and he's moving towards an X2. He's had plenty of opportunities to ride the X1 hull (in fact I think his parents have a 205DD), but made the X2 his choice. I think it was based on the versatility of the wake, interior room, and design. Whereas, the X1 might be more specialized towards wakeboarding.

It's all personal choice. You can educate him on what other people say, but it comes down to what he likes the best, what fits his needs the best, and what his budget is.

mccobmd
07-25-2007, 12:38 PM
I went to my wife's family reunion and we had 8 regularly, 5 adults and three kids most of the time and it did really well. You should also consider where it will be, we trailer all the time which is why I went with the X1 over some of the longer boats. If you're going to be in a slip on a lift most of them are 21 feet so keep that in mind also.

beatle78
07-25-2007, 01:04 PM
Did he consider the X-2 or is that out of his price range?

swatguy
07-25-2007, 01:21 PM
X1 is a great boat. You can't go wrong.

Myself owning this boat (well an older model same boat) would just say it gets cramped every now and again with over 6 adults in it regularly. WE rarely have over 4 so it's perfect for us. If we were in the market these days and $$ wasn't the main deciding factor we would def move towards a bit bigger model. WE trailer alot so would't want to go anything really over 21ft, but you can't beat the performance and price point of the X1 these days in the MC line up. You can't go wrong. Again myself after being in the X15 for a bit and the X2 I would probably not go another X1 if I were to upgrade. as space is at a premium for me these days with two little ones :)

Eagle
07-25-2007, 01:27 PM
The X-1 creates a world class wakeboard wake and a decent ski wake (one of the best ski wakes for a V-drive). It's not as roomy though as the new X-2. The wakeboard wake of the new X-2 is wider and rampier. It has one of the best surf wakes. I don't know about its ski wake.

I have an 05 X-2, which is essentially the same boat as the X-1. I use it mostly for wakeboarding and wakesurfing, and some skiing, though less and less as my skier friends have all converted to wakeboarding.

I totally love the boat and there isn't another boat I would rather have.

Roonie's
07-25-2007, 02:00 PM
the X2 ski wake is ok. I will post a pic soon. It is better than an I/O but not as nice as a true inboard. It is fine for my skiing I do.

conway400
07-25-2007, 02:10 PM
We love ours (2006 X-1) and the boys wakeboard and surf, wife surfs and skis, and I do all three. I don't think it is cramped until you put several adults on there and then only if you compare to boats that are way outside this price range. For the buck, you get a lot.

It is (as all of this type are) rough in even moderately rough water. Nothing else is missing - I have all the features of my friend's X-2. His does feel roomier with the deeper hull and pickle nose - but was way more expensive.

P-hat_in_Cincy
07-25-2007, 02:19 PM
This isn't a tuned X1/205v surfwake, but it did pretty well for us. 2 people in the boat while 1 surfed. 750lb 85% full in port rear locker, empty starboard rear locker, center 75% full, front 75% full. It was easy to ride.

Groms first wakesurf experience...

Archimedes
07-25-2007, 02:20 PM
Love our X-1, but if I knew I was going to be boarding this much and skiing so little, I would have gone with the X-2. I went X-1 primarily for the versatility it offered and the easier towability/storability. However, I wish I had the additional room of the X-2 now.

P-hat_in_Cincy
07-25-2007, 02:21 PM
Maybe it's easier to see if I crop it in a little more...

Lennyp04
07-25-2007, 02:30 PM
We love the X-1. Our family has 4 people and it is spacious. We do always have more people on though and it is still enough room. The wake is great for wakeboarding. I wakeboard at 22 with full ballast and love it. My dad skis at 26.6 and there is still some wake but he makes it over better than riding up at a ramp at 22. If your friends girls ride faster than 26.6 they will probobly have no problem with slalom.

Overall for the 20 hours we've put on it we love it. And my friend was so shocked when he saw the wake becuase he is used to riding behind Doug G's X-30 and was expecting it to be a smaller wake since the X-1 weighs less but he told me he was pleasently sruprised

Anyway good luck and if you have any questions feel free to pm me.