PDA

View Full Version : Repairing automatic flag

COboarder
07-25-2007, 01:47 AM
This weekend the automatic flag on my 1994 Prostar 205 jammed as it was retracting. While messing around with it to see if we could get it to go all the way in or out we pulled the flag off.
I have included some pics of the flag and either end of the tube it is attached to. Does anyone know if the black piece that attaches to the whip portion of the flag is supposed to be a full cylinder, or is it supposed to be open on one side to clip onto the whip? The flag is fairly ratty, does anyone know if you can just purchase a replacement flag or flag assembly?

Ric
07-25-2007, 09:44 AM
beats me, I have never even heard of an automatic flag. How does it work?

TMCNo1
07-25-2007, 10:47 AM
By the looks of all the pieces, it's really time to replace the whole flag assembly and start all over. I Googled, "Water Ski Flags" to get you started, http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4ADBF_enUS232US232&q=water+ski+flags

Sodar
07-25-2007, 11:03 AM
This weekend the automatic flag on my 1994 Prostar 205 jammed as it was retracting. While messing around with it to see if we could get it to go all the way in or out we pulled the flag off.
I have included some pics of the flag and either end of the tube it is attached to. Does anyone know if the black piece that attaches to the whip portion of the flag is supposed to be a full cylinder, or is it supposed to be open on one side to clip onto the whip? The flag is fairly ratty, does anyone know if you can just purchase a replacement flag or flag assembly?

My buddy had one of those on his older SeaSwirl. If you have the same one he did, then it is designed pretty close to identical as an automatic radio antenna on a car. A girl broke his by accidentally grabbing onto it while we were diving off the boat.... so he had to find a replacement. It took him a while, but eventually, he found a whole new unit on ebay. Sorry I could not be of more help. Do the broken peices appear that they could be reproduced out of metal? If so, take it to the machine shop. For the flag material, I am at a loss, since the fabric stores do not carry anything that bright. The first thing that came to mind though, was cannibalizing a safety vest and cutting it to size.... just make sure the material is thin enough, as I think the auto flag pulls it into a ~3/4" tube. Good Luck!

Ric
07-25-2007, 11:37 AM
Hunters orange should work. Plenty of that available in Colorado

COboarder
07-25-2007, 11:48 PM
I am new to boating, so I guess that I am surprised that more people have not seen this before. SodarSki73 has it right, it looks identical to an automatic radio antenna. When you hit the button to lower the flag, my impression is that the black plastic piece pulls on the piece of monofilament to gather the flag in tight enough to allow it to enter the receptacle built into the boat.
It actually works really well. Even though it does require an extra step for the driver, I know who is responsible for having the flag up or down.
So if I can not find a replacement I think I could easily use a piece of small diameter brass tubing. I could probably cannibalize a standard manual flag to get the cloth to make a replacement.

COboarder
07-25-2007, 11:50 PM
If that option does not work then maybe I will just buy this patent and start up my one business selling THESE - http://www.freepatentauction.com/patent.php?nb=1373