sdlaura1
07-24-2007, 11:14 PM
This is all in 1 afternoon.

sdlaura1
07-24-2007, 11:15 PM
http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l90/sdlaura1/learn1.jpg

sdlaura1
07-24-2007, 11:17 PM
http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l90/sdlaura1/learn2.jpghttp://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l90/sdlaura1/learn2.jpg

sdlaura1
07-24-2007, 11:18 PM
http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l90/sdlaura1/learn3.jpg

sdlaura1
07-24-2007, 11:18 PM
http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l90/sdlaura1/learn4.jpg

tex
07-24-2007, 11:45 PM
My favorite words-Boom, Pigtail, Longline-
Great Pictures-Thanks for sharing!!!!
Any day teaching someone to ski is a great day!

kingu
07-24-2007, 11:45 PM
very cool! those trainer skis are the way to go. i had some friends in from Aurora, IL and used my boom to teach thier twins how to ski over the weekend.

87MCProstar
07-24-2007, 11:47 PM
thats awesome! how old is the young one?

sdlaura1
07-24-2007, 11:53 PM
John is 9. Here is a pic of my 7 yo on the board.....http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l90/sdlaura1/IMG_1485-1.jpg

Upper Michigan Prostar190
07-25-2007, 09:51 AM
AWESOME!!! :headbang: I have had great success teaching with the boom this year. Terrific success rate, every learns! THe boom is great to beginners! Great pictures! Keep them out on the water! they are doing great! congrats!!:)

07-25-2007, 09:52 AM
My favorite words-Boom, Pigtail, Longline-
Great Pictures-Thanks for sharing!!!!
Any day teaching someone to ski is a great day!
Marvin, Velma, and Provo, three names I enjoy. :D

tex
07-25-2007, 11:31 AM
Fletch.....

chudson
07-25-2007, 11:33 AM
Doing a great job there Dad, keep it up!!!

Willski
07-25-2007, 02:13 PM
Cool. Not only is the boom great for beginners, but also for polishing up skills for non-beginners. I once taught 7 people to barefoot in one day. Just gotta get my son to try to ski again. I didn't have the boom with me the first time.

07-25-2007, 02:28 PM
Cool. Not only is the boom great for beginners, but also for polishing up skills for non-beginners. I once taught 7 people to barefoot in one day. Just gotta get my son to try to ski again. I didn't have the boom with me the first time.
7 people in one day?? that must be some sort of record! did you win a set of steak knives??:confused:

captain planet
07-25-2007, 02:33 PM
That is awesome. I can't wait till my kids are old enough to start learning to ski. What is the right age to start them out there on the boom? My kids will be 3 in Sept, I figure maybe summer after next?

87MCProstar
07-25-2007, 02:45 PM
thats soo killer

sdlaura1
07-25-2007, 10:48 PM
I also have a 5 year old son, but he decided to wait until he's six to try the boom. I figure "hey, no pressure" were all out here to have some fun. Besides he's the tuber king! I know of other kids that have started much earlier than 5, but I want to keep the childhood trauma to a minimum. I ask them if they want to ski, if they do they do, if they don't they don't.

3event
07-26-2007, 10:33 AM
Nice work !

We got our 4 year old started on the Ski Skimmer from Overtons - very easy. That $100 well spent has been taking friends and family kids at regular intervals since.

CBergerson
07-26-2007, 10:43 AM
Nice work !

We got our 4 year old started on the Ski Skimmer from Overtons - very easy. That $100 well spent has been taking friends and family kids at regular intervals since.

I just bought one of these. How did you start out pulling them? Along the shore, behind the boat?? What method worked the best?

07-26-2007, 11:03 AM
I heard that these booms are great to teach so I bought one. I thought it was kinda universal.....I guess I was wrong. so I figured that having that boom on the boat would teach Ms. UMP to cook, do laundry, and clean house. so far it hasnt.....:o apparently all you can do is teach people to waterski or barefoot with the thing....:(

tex
07-26-2007, 11:06 AM
I stood my kid up on the skimmer as it was on the platform. I had them slowly take off and reeled him out off the platform. I could talk to him and hold the tip up. You just have to let him out fast at first to get over the roller!

Monte
07-26-2007, 11:07 AM
I heard that these booms are great to teach so I bought one. I thought it was kinda universal.....I guess I was wrong. so I figured that having that boom on the boat would teach Ms. UMP to cook, do laundry, and clean house. so far it hasnt.....:o apparently all you can do is teach people to waterski or barefoot with the thing....:(

Depends on how you use the boom ump. Using it humainely.. No she will not learn the extra duties.. But, I bet if you put it in her hands and told her to do those things... She would teach you not to tell her to do those things with it:uglyhamme

Sdlaura.. That is good stuff.. The boom is a very near purchase for my family..

07-26-2007, 11:30 AM
Depends on how you use the boom ump. Using it humainely.. No she will not learn the extra duties.. But, I bet if you put it in her hands and told her to do those things... She would teach you not to tell her to do those things with it:uglyhamme

Sdlaura.. That is good stuff.. The boom is a very near purchase for my family..
Yea? well take my advice and dont attempt to teach your wife to cook and clean with it. it just dont work.....

3event
07-26-2007, 06:40 PM
I just bought one of these. How did you start out pulling them? Along the shore, behind the boat?? What method worked the best?

First thing I did, was drag the little guy around on the skimmer on the grass to demonstrate how to stand. Then in shallow water - short bursts of speed. In water is a tiring exercise, but it really helps them get the feel of the launch. Has to be a pretty small tyke unless you've had a lotta red bulls.

For the real event, we use the rope that comes with the skimmer - it has a ski handle at the boat end. An adult holds on to it, so that he/she can let go if the skier is done or in trouble (rope tied to skimmer). Put one parent in the water to help launch (give the kid a little lift from behind). The water parent can yell GO when ready.

Tex's solution for sliding off the platform sounds a lot less time consuming but we have not tried that yet. I wouldn't trust anyone but me to slide 'em off, and I prefer to be the driver, so I am short one copy of me.

Have fun and enjoy, it's great to see their smiling faces when they get the hang of it !!!!

79stars&stripes
07-26-2007, 06:43 PM
congrats! good job coach!!

tex
07-26-2007, 07:51 PM
First thing I did, was drag the little guy around on the skimmer on the grass to demonstrate how to stand. Then in shallow water - short bursts of speed. In water is a tiring exercise, but it really helps them get the feel of the launch. Has to be a pretty small tyke unless you've had a lotta red bulls.

For the real event, we use the rope that comes with the skimmer - it has a ski handle at the boat end. An adult holds on to it, so that he/she can let go if the skier is done or in trouble (rope tied to skimmer). Put one parent in the water to help launch (give the kid a little lift from behind). The water parent can yell GO when ready.

Tex's solution for sliding off the platform sounds a lot less time consuming but we have not tried that yet. I wouldn't trust anyone but me to slide 'em off, and I prefer to be the driver, so I am short one copy of me.

Have fun and enjoy, it's great to see their smiling faces when they get the hang of it !!!!
That's the only problem with it. The wife drives and has to put up with me telling her up and down constantly. It still works like a charm.

ggroller
07-26-2007, 08:02 PM
That's awesome.

My daughter is 2 and I can't wait until I can show her how to ski.

3event
07-26-2007, 08:18 PM
The wife drives and has to put up with me telling her up and down constantly.

OK Tex, I am going to leave that comment well enough alone. :D :D :D

tex
07-26-2007, 08:20 PM
I knew it when I typed it. She is out of town and I'm not thinking right!