PDA

View Full Version : My unique setup!

Eddie Dodge
07-24-2007, 08:46 PM
I believe I posted sometime back some pictures of the beginning stage of my camping setup. I have since updated to show the unique storage area for the MasterCraft toys. The storage area is close to the end of discussion.
Here is the link
http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/18689354/srt/pa/pging/1/page/1.cfm

beatle78
07-24-2007, 08:49 PM
the link didn't work

Eddie Dodge
07-24-2007, 08:57 PM
Would'nt you know it. It looks as if the link is good, but their site is down. Just went over there and could not get in. Sorry. You might can try again later.

Eddie Dodge
07-24-2007, 09:31 PM
The forum is back up. The link works fine.

ProTour X9
07-24-2007, 09:40 PM
ooooh sweet boat man, Love the Safe-T-Top, I still have two of those red "WORLD RECORD SKI BOAT" Stickers

Monte
07-24-2007, 09:42 PM
Wow you did a s-load of work.. I'm impressed. So no more double trips for on vacation.. NICE 190 too

ski_king
07-24-2007, 09:44 PM
Nice setup!
http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p235/prostar190/P1010182.jpg
http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p235/prostar190/P1010159.jpg

SNOOTYSKIER
07-24-2007, 09:46 PM
pretty unique setup.

Upper Michigan Prostar190
07-24-2007, 09:48 PM
Hey snotty skier, dont talk while I am trying to think.

I like that setup!!! :toast: looks pretty cool to me! very cool! Love the storage for the vests, skis, etc... too cool!!! :D

Ryan27r
07-24-2007, 10:54 PM
Wow very nice how does it roll down the road?

shepherd
07-24-2007, 11:14 PM
Man, you have way too much time on your hands! :uglyhamme

just kidding... very nice setup.

mccobmd
07-24-2007, 11:19 PM
Man, I can't even get my wife to let me put a box on our trailer. She says "You'd just buy more stuff". But then again she knows me pretty well. Great looking set up!!

milkmania
07-25-2007, 01:53 AM
Eddie,

dude, you signed up before me and you have only 22 posts.....

I'm not going to ask where you've been, because looking at all that handy work, I know where you've been!

nice job newbie!:D

sizzler
07-25-2007, 02:37 AM
thats one he11 of a set up......great post and what a way to 'engineer' your way around a few problems.....very creative

Eddie Dodge
07-25-2007, 07:29 AM
When I was taking the pictures of the storage area Sunday, I had yet to pull it with it all hooked up. The first picture that Ski King posted, I had just made my first voyage to the river. I was extremely nervous. Along the way I got this huge grin on my face, because I could not tell the boat was back there. A few weeks ago, I went camping without the boat. (First time I have ever done that). I actually could not tell much of a difference on the pull. The only thing I am disgusted about, I will have to remove the deck on the back of the boat to stay within the legal length. The boat just looks naked without it.
As for the 22 posts, Milkmania, you are exactly right. There are 2 places I go for that release from the every day ordeal of life. The first is the water, second is the shop. And when I am lurking around the site I just do not have much to say. I pretty much look for the technical articles and leave the other stuff alone. Except for that swimsuit section, it keeps bringing me back to this site for some reason.

barefoot
07-25-2007, 10:50 AM
I'm amazed by the welding! You're good. No, REALLY good! Too bad you don't live closer...I'd have a few projects for you.

milkmania
07-25-2007, 03:23 PM
When I was taking the pictures of the storage area Sunday, I had yet to pull it with it all hooked up. The first picture that Ski King posted, I had just made my first voyage to the river. I was extremely nervous. Along the way I got this huge grin on my face, because I could not tell the boat was back there. A few weeks ago, I went camping without the boat. (First time I have ever done that). I actually could not tell much of a difference on the pull. The only thing I am disgusted about, I will have to remove the deck on the back of the boat to stay within the legal length. The boat just looks naked without it.
As for the 22 posts, Milkmania, you are exactly right. There are 2 places I go for that release from the every day ordeal of life. The first is the water, second is the shop. And when I am lurking around the site I just do not have much to say. I pretty much look for the technical articles and leave the other stuff alone. Except for that swimsuit section, it keeps bringing me back to this site for some reason.

it would appear that you've contributed more in your 22 posts, than I have in my 6000+
*just sayin';)

great fabrication/weldin' skills!

the swimsuit thread is a bonus of the board
http://smileys.sur-la-toile.com/repository/Grands_Smileys/3d-coeurs-confus.gif

Jkelly
07-25-2007, 04:03 PM
Eddie,

I was thinking of tiring the 5th wheel thing myself. I have a 35FT Jayco and was thinking of putting a hitch on the back of it for the boat. How did that pull for you?

Kyle's_prostar205
07-25-2007, 04:17 PM
Awesome setup! Talk about creativity!!! Nicley done!!! You might think about building those on the side!!

endl
07-25-2007, 04:25 PM
:D Man all I got to say is your my Hero!

bigpack20
07-25-2007, 04:36 PM
Very nice setup. You did a great job

Sodar
07-25-2007, 04:38 PM
Nice Job!!

Eddie Dodge
07-25-2007, 06:20 PM
Eddie,

I was thinking of tiring the 5th wheel thing myself. I have a 35FT Jayco and was thinking of putting a hitch on the back of it for the boat. How did that pull for you?

I had a 28 ft 5th wheel, and it pulled about the same as this setup. I believe the 5th was a little heavier. The problem you will have is the legal length limit. It has been my experience that you start pushing the envelope around a 28 5th while pulling a boat. (Depends on boat and State you live in). Also it is my opinion that you also need brakes on the boat trailer.
Typical boat in the 20 range is about 22 to coupler and typical length from 5th hitch in the bed of truck to front bumper of a truck that will pull that load is around 15. That only leaves a 28 5th. Different states have different limits. You will have to check. The problem you get into, in my case, a 28 has hardly any storage area.
I also see a lot of hitches that are put on the thin square tube at the backs of the campers. I myself would not do that. I would use the frame. (Some campers I would not even attach to their frames)
It would be wrong not to mention this. Your vehicle insurance might not pay if you are involved in an accident and you exceeded the limits of your truck.

Eddie Dodge
07-25-2007, 06:22 PM
Thanks for all of the cool comments. My head is so swollen that I can hardly see to type this.

TMCNo1
07-25-2007, 08:28 PM
Very nice project and you should be proud, now enjoy it!

Jkelly
07-25-2007, 09:16 PM
I had a 28 ft 5th wheel, and it pulled about the same as this setup. I believe the 5th was a little heavier. The problem you will have is the legal length limit. It has been my experience that you start pushing the envelope around a 28 5th while pulling a boat. (Depends on boat and State you live in). Also it is my opinion that you also need brakes on the boat trailer.
Typical boat in the 20 range is about 22 to coupler and typical length from 5th hitch in the bed of truck to front bumper of a truck that will pull that load is around 15. That only leaves a 28 5th. Different states have different limits. You will have to check. The problem you get into, in my case, a 28 has hardly any storage area.
I also see a lot of hitches that are put on the thin square tube at the backs of the campers. I myself would not do that. I would use the frame. (Some campers I would not even attach to their frames)
It would be wrong not to mention this. Your vehicle insurance might not pay if you are involved in an accident and you exceeded the limits of your truck.

Thanks for the feed back. I have a ProStar 197 so on the trailer with the platform it is roughly 22 FT so that would not work.
The weight of the 5th is a problem by it self, it weights in dry around 13K so when you fill the tanks and load supplies it pushes my towing limit on my truck of 13,600.
I have towed more with it and the truck did not have a problem but if I would have been pulled over or had a wreck it would not have been fun.
I pulled my dads tractor to my house in Louisiana after the hurricane, it and the 30 foot trailer weighted in around 22K.
Enough yak yak!!
Thanks for you help