PDA

View Full Version : 1989 TriStar 190

iliketoskipowder
07-24-2007, 01:11 PM
Just bought this boat, first boat I have owned. It has 510 hours on it, I have put about 15 hours on it and it seems like everything is in order. I have no idea about what has been done to it in the past, mechanically speaking.

What should I do to it/parts I should replace immediately?

I know this is a super general questions, but I'm totally green when it comes to boating. I live in the mountains, and am WAY more comfortable on the snow rather then water.

Thanks in advance.

jwchapman
07-24-2007, 01:31 PM
Congrats on the boat - I've had my 88 TriStar 190 for 5 years - it has been a great boat. Unless you know for certain that it is fairly new, I would start by replacing the impeller - it is hard to tell its condition just by looking when it is in the pump and one that fails will end your trip at the least and clog your cooling system at the worst.

From there - basic maintenance - engine oil and filter, two gas filters - very easy to do. At some point you will want to pump out and replace the transmission fluid - not urgent if the color is good.

If you have points I would strongly recommend replacing with an electronic ignition (about $100). If you call Discount Inboard Marine (or SkiDim) they will get you exactly what you need and tell you how to install it. If you run into trouble you can call them while you are doing the work and they will walk you through it. This took 30 minutes tops and makes the boat start and run much, much better. I did this the first year and haven't touched anything related to the distributor since.

Other things you may want to do (I got most parts from SkiDim) - plugs and (especially) plug wires, cables from battery to solenoid and starter, hoses as necessary, etc. I bought an ACME 541 prop - much better performance but not a necessity.

I have also replaced the starter and distributor on mine due to a flood and almost sinking - but hopefully you won't run into this.

Good luck - they are great boats for the price, especially with the room up front which we use all the time. Hope this helps.

iliketoskipowder
07-24-2007, 01:46 PM
Thanks JW, this totally helps. I appreciate the info.

Commandohorn
07-28-2007, 10:29 AM
I have a 1988 Tri Star and love it! The above is good advice. Be prepared to buy a battery every few years, and a starter about every five...they eat 'em! I maintain my own boat, if you need help shout out. BTW...I still run a distributor with no issues if you need to save the cash mentioned above.

krcflyer
08-24-2009, 01:41 AM
Ditto the congrats! I've had my 91 for 3 years and have had very little go wrong after the initial "previous owner" fixes (exhaust manifolds/risers, carb rebuild). Elec ignition is the way to go. If you know how to duplicate or find a glove box cover....

Kirby