PDA

View Full Version : Got a pretty blue ticket from the nice DNR

jlf
07-24-2007, 10:28 AM
We were out wakeboarding looking to find some flat water on the mighty Mississippi, we decided to use one of the channels off the main channel, there is a RR bridge we went under the bridge didn't see the 12ft fishing boat that was achored right behind one of the pylons. Once we turned around to come back we saw the boat anchored there and changed our course so we didn't go through the same pylons as the fishing boat. Next thing we know the DNR was pulling us over. He told us the man in the 12 ft fishing boat was an off duty officer and called us in. The officer said he was afraid for his life, yet he never moved his boat. The DNR gave us a ticket for opperating within 100ft of another boat. We were guilty of it the first time we went under the bridge, we were probably 50ft or so from the anchored boat. We did change our path after we saw the boat. The ticket was a nice $173.40. To make it ever more frustrating the DNR said the only reason we were getting a ticket was because the man who called us in was on officer. The channel is only maybe 200 ft wide so really it is impossible to pass another boat and still be 100ft away. We aksed the DNR what are we supposed to do? We were told basically if you are pulling anyone you are at fault automatically because you must be aware of your skier. So if you are in a channel first and a fishing boat comes in to fish you basically have to leave because you'll be operating too close. The officer told us we had to drop our skier, bring them in the boat, idle past the fishing boat, then put our skier back in.

Datdude
07-24-2007, 10:37 AM
Sorry to hear the bad luck. Are you planning on coming to Minocqua this weekend? You can buzz people on the Minocqua chain as much as you would like....there are apparently no rules out there:uglyhamme

jlf
07-24-2007, 10:41 AM
might have been worth it if we were trying to piss the fisherman off, but it was a honest mistake.

Oh did I mention my cousin with an '06 X2 got the same ticket this weekend!! For the same thing passing a boat going under a bridge. He got his on the main channel.

uawaterskier
07-24-2007, 10:51 AM
thats BS on Alabama waterways skiers have the right of way.

beatle78
07-24-2007, 11:00 AM
I would have LOST it!

Sorry, man. I live on a private self policing lake.

fintek9
07-24-2007, 11:09 AM
what bothers me is , (I fish a lot of bass tourneys, been checked out allot through the years )I've found that it is at the discrepicy of that
officer, plus the DNR has the same power as the State Police..

tex
07-24-2007, 11:15 AM
I think I would have had trouble keeping my cool! Do you know a good lawyer?

Ric
07-24-2007, 12:19 PM
Tex, am I right that we in Texas are not allowed by law to tow a skier under any bridges at all?

jraben8
07-24-2007, 12:22 PM
That's what I have always been told and I can't say that I've ever seen it done around here.

tex
07-24-2007, 12:25 PM
I looked it up and saw nothing about skiing under bridges.

Ric
07-24-2007, 12:27 PM
This is for the cops

Upper Michigan Prostar190
07-24-2007, 12:32 PM
This is for the cops
Im in bridgework and these foldouts take lots of room, and I need room.

X-Aggie
07-24-2007, 02:04 PM
Not sure about elsewhere but at least on Conroe it's idle speed under all bridges.

No Skeez
07-24-2007, 03:57 PM
I'm pretty sure it's illegal to tow skiers under the bridges here Carissa, but when I was skiing on the Black River we'd go under the I-90 bridge all the time... That's what I was always told anyways...

tex
07-24-2007, 10:58 PM
Not sure about elsewhere but at least on Conroe it's idle speed under all bridges.
It could be lake to lake...just like the flags. I know you have to have skier flags on Lake Conroe but not at our lakes up north!

jlf
07-24-2007, 11:10 PM
I'm not sure about the bridges thing, the DNR said nothing about that and we've been seen a million times pulling under the I-90 bridge on the Black River and never been stopped or talked too about it. The ticket was for operating too close to another boat. The boat happened to be anchored right behind the RR bridge. It might be something to look into but I'd be surprised if it is illegal around here to pull under bridges because people pull toobs and skiers down the main channel all the time right under the blue bridges and no one ever stops them. We paid the ticket already, not worth fighting. I was just venting, 'cause it was sort of BS. We were guilty of running too close the first trip under the bridge, didn't see the boat, then we did change our path so we'd avoid the boat. We try to share the water and be respectful of the others around us. I guess once and a while it would be nice to see the same respect in return.

tex
07-24-2007, 11:14 PM
That's what would have p'd me. He was hidden and the cop should have taken that into consideration. He just wanted to write a ticket for another cop. As I said, I would contact a good lawyer!

jlf
07-24-2007, 11:17 PM
That's what would have p'd me. He was hidden and the cop should have taken that into consideration. He just wanted to write a ticket for another cop. As I said, I would contact a good lawyer!
by the time you figure in the lost wages from missing work to fight the ticket we are better off just paying it. The DNR officer told us straight out if the person calling us in hadn't been an off duty police officer he WOULDN'T be writing us a ticket.

tex
07-24-2007, 11:19 PM
I am not a lawyer/sue type person. I do know many lawyers and a lot of the time it is worth you time and money to check into it. Good luck, I hate things like this! I got one and fought it and the judge put me on probation. He did not agree with the lake patrol but did not want to dismiss it. He asked me if I would take 3 months probation. I had to not get a ticket on the water for 3 months. My probation started in November in Texas. My boat was winterized in November!

SteveO
07-24-2007, 11:35 PM
JLF, that bites. Glad private water doesn't count because one of our club site goes under several bridges.

Ric
07-25-2007, 08:54 AM
I'm with Tex on this one. It's worth contesting it with a lawyer for a couple of hundred just to prove your point...

What is the judge gonna say when he hears what the officer told you about the off-duty guy?

Fight him man! Fight him!

jlf
07-25-2007, 09:55 AM
My cousin got the exact same ticket one week after us. He is going to fight his. His situation was basically the same as ours. I'll let you know how his turns out. His court date is Aug 16. Mine is a mute point, I paid the ticket already, it's a done deal. I still think it was BS but whatever. Oh and the DNR did tell us we could fight it if we wanted too but he said most likely we would loose because the judge is going to believe the word of a cop over us any day and it's our word against a police officer.

tex
07-25-2007, 10:14 AM
My cousin got the exact same ticket one week after us. He is going to fight his. His situation was basically the same as ours. I'll let you know how his turns out. His court date is Aug 16. Mine is a mute point, I paid the ticket already, it's a done deal. I still think it was BS but whatever. Oh and the DNR did tell us we could fight it if we wanted too but he said most likely we would loose because the judge is going to believe the word of a cop over us any day and it's our word against a police officer.
That's what they all say...trust me, I used to work in the courts...not always the truth.

Ric
07-25-2007, 10:25 AM
My cousin got the exact same ticket one week after us. He is going to fight his. His situation was basically the same as ours. I'll let you know how his turns out. His court date is Aug 16. Mine is a mute point, I paid the ticket already, it's a done deal. I still think it was BS but whatever. Oh and the DNR did tell us we could fight it if we wanted too but he said most likely we would loose because the judge is going to believe the word of a cop over us any day and it's our word against a police officer. at the same spot? is this "off duty" guy just hanging out under the bridge reporting hooligans? yep, it needs to be fought fer surrre!

jlf
07-25-2007, 10:30 AM
seriously my husband went to fight a bogus ticket he got in his car again because he was called in by an off duty officer. he took off of work went to court, all he was allowd to do was enter a plea of guilty or not guilty then they were going to set up another court date in which he'd have to take more time off of work. It would cost us so much more in lost wages, gas money and lawyer fees than to just pay the 173.00. It's not that we agreed we deserved it, but when it comes down to it, it really was about the money, it was just so much cheeper to pay the fine, like I said we did break the law once, the first time we passed the boat. Still BS I think.

I'll see what happens with my cousin this time, and if we should ever find ourselves on the wrong side of the law again we may do things differently next time.

The thing that makes me sad is we honestly try to follow and obey all the laws of the water, we don't want to loose our boating privalages. We try to respect the rights of others and be courteous of others and it seems it doesn't matter, there always has to be some ***** who has to be an ahole no matter what you try to do. He could've said something to us first before reaching for his cell phone. The worst part is he told the DNR he was afraid for his life, yet he never once moved his boat. His young son and wife were clapping and watching the guy we had riding. They were obviously enjoying the show.

jlf
07-25-2007, 10:31 AM
at the same spot? is this "off duty" guy just hanging out under the bridge reporting hooligans? yep, it needs to be fought fer surrre!NO my cousin was actually called in by one of his neighbors not an off duty cop.

Ric
07-25-2007, 10:41 AM
seriously my husband went to fight a bogus ticket he got in his car again because he was called in by an off duty officer. he took off of work went to court, all he was allowd to do was enter a plea of guilty or not guilty then they were going to set up another court date in which he'd have to take more time off of work. It would cost us so much more in lost wages, gas money and lawyer fees than to just pay the 173.00. It's not that we agreed we deserved it, but when it comes down to it, it really was about the money, it was just so much cheeper to pay the fine, like I said we did break the law once, the first time we passed the boat. Still BS I think.
That is how it works here, but if you hire a lawyer, he goes to the first court date and you only show up to the second court date. It's worth it to me to keep any moving violations off my driving record... when it comes to a ticket in a boat, based on your story, I'd spend the money just to make their day harder since that's what they did to you. pizzez meoff just reading your story, can you tell?

Datdude
07-25-2007, 10:59 AM
So the warden who wrote the ticket never actually saw you do anything wrong, just had the off duty guy call him to write you a ticket?