PDA

View Full Version : cap,rotor, & wires for 1981 PS190 351W

mitch
07-24-2007, 09:32 AM
Posting for a buddy of mine - Anyone know what cap/rotor and plug wires (and probably points) he needs for a 1981 PS190 with a 351W. Boat is running like crap and he did the plugs and cleaned the small fuel filter in the carb. Running a little better, but not much. Was hoping someone had this info handy. Thanks for any help!

jrcarte78
07-24-2007, 10:39 AM
I would just have him call a local dealer or SkiDim. Finding the cap and rotor(with a little searching) won't be that hard at any local auto parts store, but the points will be a different story.

While he has everything apart he might consider changing to electronic ignition. I don't have it myself, but most everyone raves about it.

Here is BriEOD's thread on the swap...

http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=3533&highlight=electronic+ignition

JimN
07-24-2007, 10:52 AM
mitch- you're going to need to tell them if it's a screw-down or clip-down cap. If it has points, they probably need adjustment/replacement. Get the tune-up kit, not just the cap and rotor, if it still has points. They don't stay in that position forever, the fiber wedge that rides on the rotor cam wears down and they close earlier, making the motor run like yours.

I would replace with the electronic conversion kit. Re-time it and it should be fine for a long time. Another thing I would look at immediately is the coil wire. For some reason, I replaced a lot of them and that would cure whatever running problems the motors had, without replacing the rest of the wires. Sometimes, the wire set was new and the coil wire would be bad..

mitch
07-24-2007, 12:58 PM
good advice, thx guys!