PDA

View Full Version : X10 Any good??

dh_bennison
07-24-2007, 09:13 AM
Hi,

I am in the early stages of looking for a new boat to replace my 205. I have seen a 2004 X10 for sale at my local dealer. It's got all the toys on it but I was wondering what the pro's and con's are to this MC

Any thoughts welcome

bigmac
07-24-2007, 09:19 AM
Any good for what purpose? It's a great boat, but its level of greatness is subjective and depends entirely on what you intend to use it for.

jlf
07-24-2007, 09:39 AM
We've had an '05 X10 and currently own an '06 X10 as BigMac said depends on what you want to do with it. The X10 is a great boat we love ours. I slalom, we wakeboard, we tube, I barefoot, we wakeskate, we just cruise the Mississippi River. You name the principal and the X10 will do it. Here is the catch is does all of them well but if you are hardcore into anyone of the principal then the X10 will dissappoint you. To be a descent wakeboard boat we had to add 1500 pounds of extra water to the ballast, now the wake is pretty sweet. It slaloms well but it does have a bigger bump than any professional skier would like, and it is too big for the slalom course. It will fit in the course but it would be tight. To barefoot it's okay. With the boom we went with the rear pylon style and we also had to get the boom extension to help get us out of the spray and the height adjuster.

We also like the X10 it really cruises well on the river even when it is choppy. With the V front like that it does cut the chop pretty well. We leave 500 lbs of water in the bow and that really helps the bow cut the chop too. One thing we wish is the boat went just a few miles per hour faster. We have the MCX in ours. It seems to have plenty of room and storage for us.

dh_bennison
07-24-2007, 09:42 AM
Sorry I should have mentioned. The boat would be used for Wakeboarding

jlf
07-24-2007, 09:50 AM
We have had a few guys that have ridden with Parks and such down in Florida tell us our wake is one of the sweetest wakes they have ever ridden. We took out the factory tanks in the rear and added two 400lbs sacs in the rear and added 500lbs in the bow and left the middle sac factory. If you use the stock ballast it is okay, but not great. If you aren't at a very advanced level then the wake will be fine but if you are more advanced you will most likely need to add extra weight to the boat. If it makes you feel any better most pros have to add extra weight to the Xstar also. It has a pretty nice ramp with the way we have it set up now, it is steep, but has great launch.

P-hat_in_Cincy
07-24-2007, 09:57 AM
You name the principal and the X10 will do it. Here is the catch is does all of them well but if you are hardcore into anyone of the principal then the X10 will dissappoint you.

Well said! This is exactly the reason I try to convey why we got rid of our '02 X10 and got our '04 205v (we gravitated more towards wakeboarding). As stated, the wake behind the X10 could get big with extra weight but we grew to like the size, shape, and firmness the 205V hull could provide. With that being said, we loved our X10...it just didn't fit our changing narrow image of what we wanted out of our boat.

We also like the X10 it really cruises well on the river even when it is choppy. With the V front like that it does cut the chop pretty well. We leave 500 lbs of water in the bow and that really helps the bow cut the chop too.

Agreed here too!

Good post of your experinces jlf! :cool:

jlf
07-24-2007, 10:13 AM
The boat is great for us, we really aren't great at any of of the watersports but we like to go out and have fun doing them all so the X10 really works well for a multipurpose boat. It also fits in our garage another reason we didn't go bigger.

swatguy
07-24-2007, 12:01 PM
Will also agree with both posts. Have to really decide on what level of wakeboarder you are/want to be. The X-10 is a great family multipurpose boat to do everything skiing, boarding,surfing, cruising. IT doesn't excel in any, but does all well.

Strictly on the boarding wake. On the X-10 you have to put tons of weight into it to get it to sink and come up with a meaty wake. The shape and characeristics are also different as well compared to their signature wakeboats (IE X1, X2, X Star) The X-10 is much more of a ramp style wake. Not too much kick at the top compared to those. It is very very smooth and has great shape, but just lacks the kick at the top. Some like it ,some hate it it's all personal preference. IT's great for people just starting out to intermediate riders, not intimidating at all. If you talk with any of the "hardcore"boarders you will find the all prefer the wake shape and characteristics of the other 3,. but they are only wakeboarding pretty much everytime the boat hits the water. The X10 is a great boat and you def can't go wrong,very wide open floor plan and tons of storage, but if you are only boarding when the boats hits the water and purely wanting a pro level wake you might be disappointed. However if you are doing a bunch of things and are boarding, and doing a variety of things such as entertaining family and freinds, tubing, cruising the x-10 would be great. You pretty much can't go wrong with any X-series boat these days. It's insane at how many different models they have and what the slight differences are. IT drives me crazy to try and keep up.

dmayer84
07-24-2007, 12:06 PM
I have an X-10 and I am debating about putting more weight in it. I am between keeping the boat right now or trading it in for something else. I ski and wakeboard. right now I am considering x-14 and x-2.

rspiecha
07-24-2007, 02:34 PM
I love mine. A great muti-function boat. I did have the paddle moved to the back to get the PP to work correctly. The other issue is the porposing issue with all the weight in the back. I'm currently looking into a wake plate to help with this.

Rob

wtrjock
07-24-2007, 05:43 PM
We have a 2005 X10. It is a perfect all around boat. We do all the sports as well, and this boat does them very well. Also cruises nice, and has plenty of storage and cabin room for people. The boat never feels crowded!

I was looked at the Xstar, X45 and X2 at the PWT this weekend. The Xstar cabin is smaller than my X10, the X45 is a Tank, and the X2 is too small. I would like to see the X15. So far, I haven't found a better Mastercraft that suits our needs.

The wake behind our X10 is big enough to hurt me, so I don't need anything more than that!

P-hat_in_Cincy
07-24-2007, 09:19 PM
Here's a wakeboarding shot from our former X10.

Blair
07-24-2007, 11:33 PM
i will have to agree with everything said here... this boat is the best of all worlds... good at everything but dosent excell...

im and intermediate skier, "higher end" intermediate wakeboarder

i have skiied behind 197's and wakeboarded behind X-stars, and no it does not do either better than any of those but it is very respectable...

i recently added approx 1500lbs to the boat and its a damn nice wake... (ill get some pics this weekend)

the one thing that the x-10 does better than pretty much any other boat i have been in is surf... we can get an amazing surf wake on both sides... and if we weight the boat down equal we can get enough of a wake that 2 people can surf (one on each side) and i have yet to see anyone else be able to do that...

(my 2 cents) just agreeing with everything said above

swatguy
07-25-2007, 01:32 PM
Phat
that's pretty sick wake. Love the color of the water too damn near clear

P-hat_in_Cincy
07-25-2007, 01:47 PM
Thanks swatguy. Like I said, you can get a nice wake out of the X10...it just takes some weight. It's all personal preference.

BTW...That's Norris Lake. Heading there in a couple weeks!

wgwollet
07-25-2007, 01:58 PM
Wow...good comments....my question is this.....I know the X-10 is of course the Maristar 210.....but the hull changed on both boats in 2005 or 2006? So the 1999-2004 is a different hull then the 2005-2007 and I know do not see the X-10 or X-30 in the 2008 lineup.

Is there any pro or con with this hull change.......I have a 2003 and wonder how that is different then the 2005 onward.......

P-hat_in_Cincy
07-25-2007, 02:05 PM
Wow...good comments....my question is this.....I know the X-10 is of course the Maristar 210.....but the hull changed on both boats in 2005 or 2006? So the 1999-2004 is a different hull then the 2005-2007 and I know do not see the X-10 or X-30 in the 2008 lineup.

Is there any pro or con with this hull change.......I have a 2003 and wonder how that is different then the 2005 onward.......

I'm not aware of any hull change in those years. :confused: Enlighten me. The X10 phased out and was replaced by the X15.

bigmac
07-25-2007, 02:18 PM
I don't know about the X10, but the X30/230 went to a completely different hull (bigger beam, stepped hull) in 2006. The 2005 X10/X30s are the same as their 2003-2005 counterparts. Only change IIRC is that the 2005's actually implemented the ETC that Indmar made available in 2004 but MasterCraft didn't use.

swatguy
07-25-2007, 10:13 PM
I am also not aware of the hull change. Maybe what they mean is the X15 took over the X-10's spot. That is pretty much the only logical explanation in my mind i can come up with, but hey I learn something new everyday.

dh_bennison
08-01-2007, 04:24 AM
Im going to have a look at this X10 today or tomorrow. Are their any common problems or faults I should look for??

Also we are pretty c*ap wakeboarders but we are improving. We are doing wake to wake 180s (just!!) Will the wake be good enough to see me through my first inverst and 360s etc (if I ever get good enough)

P-hat_in_Cincy
08-01-2007, 07:41 AM
Im going to have a look at this X10 today or tomorrow. Are their any common problems or faults I should look for??

Also we are pretty c*ap wakeboarders but we are improving. We are doing wake to wake 180s (just!!) Will the wake be good enough to see me through my first inverst and 360s etc (if I ever get good enough)

I think the picture I posted above answers part of your question regarding tricks/flips. O/C it will. If you have proper technique, you can do them on much smaller wakes. Sometimes big wakes hide bad form/technique. I found that out this weekend. :o

If you have the hull ID #, go to www.mymastercraft.com and look up recalls for the hull in the recall thread section. You could even have your local dealer (or PM "MYMC" on this or his site, above) check it out for you. There was a steering cable recall and fuel wire recall around those years, from what I can remember. Not sure if it affects the X10 tho.

dh_bennison
08-01-2007, 01:15 PM
Ive just got back from looking at the X10 and it looks great to me. Its only done 95 hrs and its got all the toys I want. All I need to do is add some ballast up front and possably replace the ballast tanks at the rear.

Looks like I may be trading the 205 in at the weekend!!:D

bigmac
08-01-2007, 03:02 PM
Here's a shot of the X10's wake at 32 mph.

dh_bennison
08-01-2007, 04:33 PM
Your worrying me now I want big wake!!:D

bigmac
08-01-2007, 04:46 PM
Your worrying me now I want big wake!!:DI wouldn't worry unless you like to wakeboard really fast. That shot is at 15 off with no ballast, 1/4 tank fuel and two people on board at 32 mph.

dh_bennison
08-03-2007, 07:50 AM
We have had a few guys that have ridden with Parks and such down in Florida tell us our wake is one of the sweetest wakes they have ever ridden. We took out the factory tanks in the rear and added two 400lbs sacs in the rear and added 500lbs in the bow and left the middle sac factory. If you use the stock ballast it is okay, but not great. If you aren't at a very advanced level then the wake will be fine but if you are more advanced you will most likely need to add extra weight to the boat. If it makes you feel any better most pros have to add extra weight to the Xstar also. It has a pretty nice ramp with the way we have it set up now, it is steep, but has great launch.

How big are the standard tanks in the back?? Also if I replace them with the Fly High Pro X 400lbs do I need any special connections to plumb it in??

Thanks

P-hat_in_Cincy
08-03-2007, 10:15 AM
I think the tanks are 250lbs each. I replaced my with Straight line 700lbs sacs on each side (before Fly High had the 750s out). 400s might be enough, but if you want wakesurfing capacity, you might consider the 750's.

Special connections? I'm not sure. Maybe some extra hose length. The Fly Highs do have their own connectors, so you maybe have to order what you need if they don't come with what you want.