PDA

View Full Version : Oshkosh Air Show

chudson
07-24-2007, 08:35 AM
Anybody going this year ? If you like airplanes this is the place to be!!!

http://www.eaa.org/

conway400
07-24-2007, 09:08 AM
I couldn't make it - had a free ride - but to far!

Check out the new Cessna and Cirrus LSAs that were revealed. Very cool!

bigmac
07-24-2007, 09:30 AM
Here's the video of an AT-6 that almost made it to Oshkosh, but not quite...

http://www.themilwaukeechannel.com/traffic/13733153/detail.html

MYMC
07-24-2007, 09:36 AM
Wish I was there...work always gets in the way. I would love to see the new VLJ's.

shepherd
07-24-2007, 09:48 AM
Best airshow/fly-in in the world.
If you get a chance to fly in, do it, and camp under the wing. It's a unique experience!

chudson
07-24-2007, 10:20 AM
Here's the video of an AT-6 that almost made it to Oshkosh, but not quite...

http://www.themilwaukeechannel.com/traffic/13733153/detail.html

Thats amazing and it appears no one was hurt!!!

Datdude
07-24-2007, 10:34 AM
it is semi-amusing that he was so close to the Fond Du Lac airport.....but I guess there is nothing amusing about engine troubles:o

Glad to hear nobody was hurt. What would they do with the plane to get it off the highway?

JimN
07-24-2007, 10:57 AM
They may need to remove the wings unless they can repair it fast enough and there's room for a take-off. If it's close enough and conditions are right, they will probably take it to the Fond du Lac airport.

Good to see it, and the crew, are still in one piece.

kawagaskier
07-24-2007, 11:25 AM
I drove past the plane while heading south on Sunday. I got there just after it had landed in the northbound lanes and the airport is directly across the highway from where it landed. Obviously the runway(s) were in use so he couldn't have put down there. It looks like the pilot and plane faired just fine (minus the problem that caused him to land on the highway).

bigmac
07-24-2007, 11:39 AM
Dents in the wing from hitting road signs...

chudson
07-24-2007, 12:14 PM
Wish I was there...work always gets in the way. I would love to see the new VLJ's.

There are other fly-ins at different times of the year closer to you!!!

http://www.eaa.org/avlinks/flyins.html

flyingskibiker
07-24-2007, 01:22 PM
i was going to go this year. family matters... next year for sure. in the mean time, there's always The Reno Air Races and The Gathering of Mustangs and Legends...

flyingskibiker
07-24-2007, 01:24 PM
as soon as a pilot says mayday, he can land on any airport he wants regardless of it being busy or not... has to be talking to them, though...

I drove past the plane while heading south on Sunday. I got there just after it had landed in the northbound lanes and the airport is directly across the highway from where it landed. Obviously the runway(s) were in use so he couldn't have put down there. It looks like the pilot and plane faired just fine (minus the problem that caused him to land on the highway).

JohnnyB
07-24-2007, 01:36 PM
IMHO, the best place to watch this show is in the cove on Winnebago south of the air field with 30-40 other boats, enjoying sun and drinks. :D

You get a very clear landing of takeoffs and landings.

MYMC
07-24-2007, 05:08 PM
Best airshow/fly-in in the world.
If you get a chance to fly in, do it, and camp under the wing. It's a unique experience!
It would be tough to camp under the wing of our Cirrus...but I have slept in the cargo area after folding the rear seats down (ouch my back).

jbfootin
07-24-2007, 10:58 PM
If anyone is going, I work right next to the airport. I would be happy to meet any of you for lunch or a beer afterwork.

shepherd
07-24-2007, 11:18 PM
If anyone is going, I work right next to the airport. I would be happy to meet any of you for lunch or a beer afterwork.

How about a pull on Lake Winnebago! ;)

shepherd
07-24-2007, 11:22 PM
It would be tough to camp under the wing of our Cirrus...but I have slept in the cargo area after folding the rear seats down (ouch my back).

The old Cessna 172 was low and slow, but at least that high wing had its advantages. :D

Speaking of low and slow, you should have seen us trying to climb to 9500' over Michigan on the way home. I forgot exactly what he said, but the ATC guy came on the radio a few times to basically say "any day now six four golf..." :o

Carbon Dreams
07-25-2007, 12:58 AM

I'm at the show now until next monday. Been a comin' to this show as a participant for many years. If anyone is attending stop by the Epic Aircraft booth in South Complex H between hanger B and hanger D. We just released 2 new jets...Very busy and exciting show. Also the F-22 Raptor will be coming in 2 days and performing for the first time in civil airspace it's full aerobatic routine. Very cool...

chudson
07-25-2007, 07:51 AM
I'm at the show now until next monday. Been a comin' to this show as a participant for many years. If anyone is attending stop by the Epic Aircraft booth in South Complex H between hanger B and hanger D. We just released 2 new jets...Very busy and exciting show. Also the F-22 Raptor will be coming in 2 days and performing for the first time in civil airspace it's full aerobatic routine. Very cool...

Be sure to post some pictures.

MYMC
07-25-2007, 12:06 PM
The old Cessna 172 was low and slow, but at least that high wing had its advantages. :D

Speaking of low and slow, you should have seen us trying to climb to 9500' over Michigan on the way home. I forgot exactly what he said, but the ATC guy came on the radio a few times to basically say "any day now six four golf..." :o
See there are always trade offs...I my not be able to sleep under the wing but I can climb and speed are no problem. When we left Kensoha we flew over Lake Michigan as well 700fpm all the way to 12,500 :D

pilot02
07-25-2007, 12:25 PM
as soon as a pilot says mayday, he can land on any airport he wants regardless of it being busy or not... has to be talking to them, though...

Umm, that is correct to a point. It is correct that as PIC when declaring an emergency, you have the option to do whatever is necessary to "meet" the emergency. That doesn't take into account the fact that there may be planes (heavy commercial jet that can't easily move) or some other obstacle on the runway which would prevent a safe landing or otherwise endanger more people though. In that case, an off airport landing would be advisable. The part that is not correct above is that you don't legally have to be in direct contact with the tower (though I'd sure want to be talking to them). A situation where this might come into play is when flying over the top of the controlled airspace. Only requirement in that situation is to squak 7700 on the transponder and transmit Mayday on 121.5 (which the tower is monitoring and will immediately attempting to establish contact).

flyingskibiker
07-25-2007, 01:03 PM
hey, we can go through the FARs.;) but my point was that if they guy really wanted to, he could have used the airport (if it was safe). he most likely was at altitude when the whole thing happened. so, one would think that he could have done all the squawking and talking in time enough to have all the "heavies" give way... again, i'm just saying, mainly, that an aircraft w/ an emergency is pretty much guaranteed right of way. if we are going to review the FARs, we should probably leave everyone else off that thread jack... :rolleyes:

Umm, that is correct to a point. It is correct that as PIC when declaring an emergency, you have the option to do whatever is necessary to "meet" the emergency. That doesn't take into account the fact that there may be planes (heavy commercial jet that can't easily move) or some other obstacle on the runway which would prevent a safe landing or otherwise endanger more people though. In that case, an off airport landing would be advisable. The part that is not correct above is that you don't legally have to be in direct contact with the tower (though I'd sure want to be talking to them). A situation where this might come into play is when flying over the top of the controlled airspace. Only requirement in that situation is to squak 7700 on the transponder and transmit Mayday on 121.5 (which the tower is monitoring and will immediately attempting to establish contact).

YooperScott
07-25-2007, 01:38 PM
Man shepherd and MYMC you guys are making me feel bad about selling my airplane (RV) and going back to the anemic climb rates. :( On a bad day at gross I get 1500 fpm in the climb. Oh well, I am 31, have a 9 month old and have flown my airplane about 12 hours in that 9 months. Unfortunately I realized that it is not the time in life and WAY too expensive for the amount of use it gets. Might be flying up to Oshkosh Saturday for the day, or else driving. Kind of depends on if the guy that just looked at it says he is going to buy or not.

If I had to declare an emergency I am going to WHATEVER it takes to make the outcome the best possible. Then again any tower will make every accomodation possible, along with the driver of a 747 on final or whatever it may be.

Scott
Bought but not yet have '95 LT-1 Prostar 190

#47of100TeamMC
07-25-2007, 01:38 PM
if we are going to review the FARs, we should probably leave everyone else off that thread jack... :rolleyes:

No please continue... this is interesting stuff!

Anyone Flying to Oshkosh should do a flyby over Minocqua this weekend! we'll be waving from the water!:wavey:

shepherd
07-25-2007, 02:25 PM
Man shepherd and MYMC you guys are making me feel bad about selling my airplane (RV) and going back to the anemic climb rates. :( On a bad day at gross I get 1500 fpm in the climb. Oh well, I am 31, have a 9 month old and have flown my airplane about 12 hours in that 9 months. Unfortunately I realized that it is not the time in life and WAY too expensive for the amount of use it gets.

My father (75 years old!) has an RV6. Awesome performer, but a little too tight in the cockpit for my comfort. I too gave up airplane ownership when I was around your age, got married and we needed money to buy our first house. So, I turned to the less expensive life of boat ownership. :cool:

Sometimes I think about buying another plane, but reality sets in and I realize that would be dumber than laying out $30+ grand on a boat! ;)

phecksel
07-25-2007, 05:55 PM
Man shepherd and MYMC you guys are making me feel bad about selling my airplane (RV) and going back to the anemic climb rates. :( On a bad day at gross I get 1500 fpm in the climb. Oh well, I am 31, have a 9 month old and have flown my airplane about 12 hours in that 9 months. Unfortunately I realized that it is not the time in life and WAY too expensive for the amount of use it gets. Might be flying up to Oshkosh Saturday for the day, or else driving. Kind of depends on if the guy that just looked at it says he is going to buy or not.

If I had to declare an emergency I am going to WHATEVER it takes to make the outcome the best possible. Then again any tower will make every accomodation possible, along with the driver of a 747 on final or whatever it may be.

Scott

yooper, not only is that amount of flying bad for your skill set, it's extremely bad for the airplane. I had been flying a Mooney "C" for years on business. Weather slowed me down ONCE. I was extremely proficient. Fast forward to changing careers, and just flying for fun, divorce, etc. My skills were scary rusty, and then the plane started breaking expensive parts every time I flew, EVERY TIME! I took off from OSH after the air show and only managed 2200 RPM, prop cable broke. Here I am at the worlds busiest airport running down the runway with the RPM in the red zone. It was a tough call, but continued the take off roll as I was extremely light. Went to another airport and landed to fix the cable. Get that fixed and took my g/f out for breakfast. During the take off roll I'm smelling gas...not a good thing. Just had turned on course and getting really concerned over the fuel smell, when my g/f says "something is dripping on my foot". That was the final straw. I was done with throwing money at that pit :( Looking at it in retrospect, a lot of the things that were breaking were older, but it flat out wasn't getting used anymore.

Maristar210
07-25-2007, 08:58 PM
yooper, not only is that amount of flying bad for your skill set, it's extremely bad for the airplane. I had been flying a Mooney "C" for years on business. Weather slowed me down ONCE. I was extremely proficient. Fast forward to changing careers, and just flying for fun, divorce, etc. My skills were scary rusty, and then the plane started breaking expensive parts every time I flew, EVERY TIME! I took off from OSH after the air show and only managed 2200 RPM, prop cable broke. Here I am at the worlds busiest airport running down the runway with the RPM in the red zone. It was a tough call, but continued the take off roll as I was extremely light. Went to another airport and landed to fix the cable. Get that fixed and took my g/f out for breakfast. During the take off roll I'm smelling gas...not a good thing. Just had turned on course and getting really concerned over the fuel smell, when my g/f says "something is dripping on my foot". That was the final straw. I was done with throwing money at that pit :( Looking at it in retrospect, a lot of the things that were breaking were older, but it flat out wasn't getting used anymore.

There are trade offs for owning a Mooney :D

Just kidding Phecksel. I have enjoyed this thread almost as much as last year. Great reads. CarbonDreams we need some pics buddy...

YooperScott
07-25-2007, 10:10 PM
yooper, not only is that amount of flying bad for your skill set, it's extremely bad for the airplane. I had been flying a Mooney "C" for years on business.

First problem, you were flying a Mooney!!! Just teasing they are nice ships. Second, notice I said I am selling it. You pointed out just two of the reasons why. I did fly over 100 hours the year before which not many GA types really do (if they are honest about it). I got honest will myself and realized with a 9 month old and talk of another one in the near term at least at my income level airplanes do not fit into the mold. I got a sweet deal from a co-worker where I may just have to pay the difference to put me on his insurance and gas and I can use his airplane (he's in the same dilema of not much use and figures me also flying his plane is actually better for it). Hopefully that becomes reality. Heck I will probably fly more than I do now.

Scott

jbfootin
07-25-2007, 11:36 PM
How about a pull on Lake Winnebago! ;)
Winnebago sucks for skiing. It is worth the drive to get on the river. Either the wolf or fox

Carbon Dreams
07-26-2007, 09:49 AM
I'll get some pics today, as I have the morning off.

MYMC
07-26-2007, 02:03 PM
First problem, you were flying a Mooney!!! Just teasing they are nice ships. Second, notice I said I am selling it. You pointed out just two of the reasons why. I did fly over 100 hours the year before which not many GA types really do (if they are honest about it). I got honest will myself and realized with a 9 month old and talk of another one in the near term at least at my income level airplanes do not fit into the mold. I got a sweet deal from a co-worker where I may just have to pay the difference to put me on his insurance and gas and I can use his airplane (he's in the same dilema of not much use and figures me also flying his plane is actually better for it). Hopefully that becomes reality. Heck I will probably fly more than I do now.

Scott
I guess I'm lucky as we use ours to fly to tournaments for Maeghan and meetings for me as well as most travel. It also has made going to see my parents much easier...funny how many excuses you can come up with to not spend 8 hours in a car one way.

You guys are correct they can be expensive, but for now we both enjoy it and the warranty covers the repairs...things may change in the future but with law school I can see where it will make the commute that much easier. Currently I have over 80 hours in this plane and only started flying it 3.5 months ago, so you can see she is getting used and I do everything I can to stay proficient. Most likely will head to Florida this fall to take the "unusual attitudes" course...can't wait;)

phecksel
07-26-2007, 04:50 PM
First problem, you were flying a Mooney!!!

No, you wear a Mooney, especially at 6'4"

It really was a sweet sweet plane, running 150+ knots burning 8 gph. I loved to get it up to 12k and burn 6.5 gph.

phecksel
07-26-2007, 05:07 PM
There are trade offs for owning a Mooney

What I never understood, was why that plane was such a good plane for SO LONG, and then all of a sudden, everything was breaking. It started with three cracked cylinder heads, discovered literally days before settlement conference!!! Little digression here, but still on OSH theme, I bought a new set of cylinder heads at OSH, using my Amex card number, no card, no id, no nothing :) Several thousand dollars with just the number and expiration memorized. Had to laugh, went into a Kmart the following week, and had to produce TWO pieces of id for a lousy $15 charge paid for with a check???!!!!

After the engine was finally repaired, had one thing after another after another go wrong. How many planes can manage to blow a generator, then blow a voltage regulator, develop cracked brake line, cracked torque tube on the flaps, jam a retractable step, break a prop cable, and the final straw, wear a hole through a fuel pressure line inside the cabin. There were other issues, but what a nightmare! I got even tho, the guy I sold it to destroyed it in a landing accident.

Carbon Dreams
07-30-2007, 04:05 PM
Here are the aircraft that we flew in to Oshkosh. The single engine jet is called the Victory and was a 6 month project from design to flying prototype. The first picture is after arrival and heading to the display area through Aeroshell Square. Sorry for the picture quality as it was on my cell phone...

Carbon Dreams
07-30-2007, 04:06 PM
Here is the Victory Jet

Carbon Dreams
07-30-2007, 04:11 PM
Here is a picture of the A model P-51 Mustang that crashed. In the background is the nose of "Stang" the airplane that "Precious Metal II" hit while attempting a formation landing. Very sad!

chudson
07-30-2007, 04:35 PM
Great pictures thanks for posting and since you didn't say I assume you didn't win the Aviat Huskie!!! :rolleyes:

Carbon Dreams
07-31-2007, 11:11 AM
Great pictures thanks for posting and since you didn't say I assume you didn't win the Aviat Huskie!!! :rolleyes:

Nope, no freebies for me. That would be nice, though. We have a Super Cub on floats in our hanger now. Unfortunately, it is not mine either. Dreaming...

Rockman
07-31-2007, 01:28 PM

What color is it?

YooperScott
07-31-2007, 01:48 PM
No idea the official color but it is a really light gray. It's Datdude's boat. He is getting a ..... Well I will leave that up to him. :)

Scott

flyingskibiker
07-31-2007, 01:49 PM
you work for Epic? they build my favorite turbo-prop! i don't have a favorite VLJ, yet...;) how about a few demo flights? :D

Here are the aircraft that we flew in to Oshkosh. The single engine jet is called the Victory and was a 6 month project from design to flying prototype. The first picture is after arrival and heading to the display area through Aeroshell Square. Sorry for the picture quality as it was on my cell phone...

MYMC
07-31-2007, 02:00 PM
Love the VLJ's...most exciting thing to come along in a long time. I like the Cirrus concept for the $1M group.

NSXBill
07-31-2007, 02:01 PM
How was the F-22? I've seen abbreviated shows but not the full-on show yet.

Carbon Dreams
07-31-2007, 03:54 PM
Yes, I work for Epic as the Director of Training. The LT is a powerhouse, to say the least! I just did a flight today up to FL280 from Bend to Newport and Back in 40 Minutes.

The F-22 show was a little weak. We were expecting a complete aerobatics demonstration with full use of vectored thrust. That didn't happen. Weather killed two days of airshow routines. Everything was pretty vanilla. There's always next year...

flyingskibiker
07-31-2007, 04:40 PM
yah, some day! hmmmm, how long will it take you to get to the bay area? :D

i heard that the f-22 pilot said the box was too small to do a lot of his routine...

Yes, I work for Epic as the Director of Training. The LT is a powerhouse, to say the least! I just did a flight today up to FL280 from Bend to Newport and Back in 40 Minutes.

The F-22 show was a little weak. We were expecting a complete aerobatics demonstration with full use of vectored thrust. That didn't happen. Weather killed two days of airshow routines. Everything was pretty vanilla. There's always next year...

Carbon Dreams
07-31-2007, 05:13 PM
yah, some day! hmmmm, how long will it take you to get to the bay area? :D

i heard that the f-22 pilot said the box was too small to do a lot of his routine...

I agree on the size of the airshow box...

Bend to San Carlos is 1 hour and 15 minutes with normal winds.

MYMC
07-31-2007, 05:53 PM

Any thoughts/time table on the cert of the Dynasty?

flyingskibiker
07-31-2007, 06:17 PM
let me know. i'll wait... ;)

JimN
07-31-2007, 08:03 PM
First time I went to Oshkosh for the show, they had an SR-71 and a B-1B. They both did a pretty good amount of flying that day.

Carbon Dreams
07-31-2007, 08:26 PM
Any thoughts/time table on the cert of the Dynasty?

Right now we are forecasting Dynasty deliveries in 2009. I just don't know what quarter that will fall in. Epic now has a MAJOR partner (money) to throw at all the current products and future ones as well. That means Epic should grow exponentially over the next few months and years.

Expect BIG things out of Epic...

Carbon Dreams
07-31-2007, 08:29 PM
First time I went to Oshkosh for the show, they had an SR-71 and a B-1B. They both did a pretty good amount of flying that day.

Unfortunately, those days of peacetime may be gone for a while. Man, the B1B was fun to watch at full afterburner:D Talk about rattling the cage...

MYMC
08-01-2007, 10:43 AM
Right now we are forecasting Dynasty deliveries in 2009. I just don't know what quarter that will fall in. Epic now has a MAJOR partner (money) to throw at all the current products and future ones as well. That means Epic should grow exponentially over the next few months and years.

Expect BIG things out of Epic...
Good to know...keep in touch we have a 135 operation...who knows what the future holds.

Carbon Dreams
08-01-2007, 11:09 AM
Good to know...keep in touch we have a 135 operation...who knows what the future holds.

Will do, the Dynasty is pretty exciting!

JimN
08-01-2007, 11:14 AM
"Talk about rattling the cage.."

We got to the show as the B1-B was taking off for one of its flights and were at a right angle to it as it taxied. HOLY KEERAP! The SR-71 whispered, by comparison. 69 minutes, from Dulles to Edwards, baby! The whole story behind what they needed to invent just to make the SR-71 is incredible, not to mention when it was designed and built.

I know they pulled it out for Desert Storm surveillance and I'm pretty sure they used it again in '02 and '03. Apparently, it took less time to get it in the air than it would have taken to reposition the needed satellites. Ever seen the cameras they use on the SR-71? Each frame of film is about 16"x24"

MYMC
08-01-2007, 12:25 PM

We got to the show as the B1-B was taking off for one of its flights and were at a right angle to it as it taxied. HOLY KEERAP! The SR-71 whispered, by comparison. 69 minutes, from Dulles to Edwards, baby! The whole story behind what they needed to invent just to make the SR-71 is incredible, not to mention when it was designed and built.

I know they pulled it out for Desert Storm surveillance and I'm pretty sure they used it again in '02 and '03. Apparently, it took less time to get it in the air than it would have taken to reposition the needed satellites. Ever seen the cameras they use on the SR-71? Each frame of film is about 16"x24"
Funny you should write this...by way of comparison I got stuck over at KTYS, and while waiting met a couple of B2 guys and we started talking. I told them that I saw the plane do its thing at Beaufort and wished it would have landed, they replied that it was them and that they did the fly by. They then started to laugh when I asked about landing. They said "we try to avoid it cause it usually gets embarrassing, she breaks so often and there are never parts around so we get stuck. Better to keep her in the air than to land and have something break that (by the flight manual) means we can't take off."

I guess its true a couple billion doesn't buy what it used to!

NSXBill
08-01-2007, 12:56 PM
..... she breaks so often and there are never parts around so we get stuck. Better to keep her in the air than to land and have something break that (by the flight manual) means we can't take off."....
These modern warplanes are so incredibly complicated and spares often have to be canned, so I can understand their dilemma. I know they had one on static, but even the Raptor, which was designed for reliability and maintainability, is not something you want to get "stuck" at Oshkosh. The money is well spent IMHO. :)

JimN
08-01-2007, 03:23 PM
IIRC, a B1B or B2 was stuck here in Milwaukee after having a problem at Oshkosh. It was here for the better part of a week, though.

NSXBill
08-01-2007, 03:31 PM

If you like SR-71s and B-1s, check out the ill-fated XB-70. I think the one remaining prototype (the second of the two crashed while being photographed) is at the Air Force Museum in Dayton.

JimN
08-01-2007, 03:57 PM
This (www.unrealaircraft.com/classics/xb70.php) tells how/why the other one crashed.

The XB-70 looks like it had way too many faults to be a real part of the inventory. The SR-71 was more simple, dependable and less prone to self-destructive tendencies, like the electrolytic corrosion. Plus, the SR-71 was stealthy by design and because of the ferrite paint used.