PDA

View Full Version : Strut Installation, Help please

JLeuck64
07-23-2007, 08:36 PM
Ok, This request goes out to anyone with experience installing a new prop shaft strut.

I have had some fiberglass and gelcoat repairs done in the strut area and am in the process of re-installing the drive train. I do not have enough clearance to install the shaft log (please see photos). The shaft is definetly sitting to low where it makes the transition through the bottom of the hull. Since the strut to shaft angle is fixed I am wondering how to correct/modify my situation. Anybody out there that has done this type of gelcoat repair before? Do you grind the pad on the bottom of the hull? If so, how do you make sure it stays nice and flat?

Thanks for you help with this.

wesgardner
07-24-2007, 09:59 AM
I would say you've either gotta grind it in the front or add to it in the back via a wedge if f/g or sim....

KHall
07-24-2007, 10:09 PM
I just spent 6 hrs putting my new strut and drive shaft in. I had to trial fit like 5 times and ultimately it only went in one way. On mine it made a difference to which bolt was tightened first. So once i knew the one pattern it improved the shaft to log hole alignment by about 3/8". You may have to do more like Wes indcated and sand the bottom or even get the base of the strut milled to give you a slight angle. If you do a forum search for "strut" you'll see many have had aligment issues, some have even moved the log hole. Good Luck.

Back to aligning mine.

JLeuck64
07-28-2007, 03:10 PM
After some discussion with others here is the fix I came up with.

Using stainless steel washers as shims, I placed some between the strut and the bottom of the hull. Not all washers are the same thickness. I recommend using a dial caliper and measure some to find several that are close to the same thickness. It was also necessary to trial fit the strut a few times to determine the correct number of washers needed to get the driveshaft angle where I wanted it.

JLeuck64
07-28-2007, 03:11 PM
Then I preped the bottom of the strut mounting pad by lightly sanding it.

JLeuck64
07-28-2007, 03:15 PM
Get yourself some epoxy fiberglass resin and mix as per the directions. I opted to buy some filler to help thicken the mixture until it was the consistency of peanut butter. I figure if need to use the resin for something else I will have it. As an option my local supplier also had some resin available that was already the consistency of putty.

JLeuck64
07-28-2007, 03:21 PM
I mounted the strut with the front and rear bolts tight. The middle bolts I just snugged down. Didn't want to over tighten the middle to cause any warpage in the strut. Now all thats required is a little clean-up. As the fiberglass mixture is squeezed out around the edges I cleaned using a stir stick and a pencil to scrap off the excess. It will take hours for this to stop moving out from the edges, so don't leave it unattended.

JLeuck64
07-28-2007, 03:24 PM
Now I have a custom built shim between my strut and the hull. Here is what the drive shaft looks like coming in through the bilge/log area.