PDA

View Full Version : Ride the Wake for Kids' Sake

Willski
07-23-2007, 04:08 PM
For the last nine years a group of us in central IL have been skiing and taking donations for the Children's Hospital of Illinois. We have followed various formats throughout the years, but this year we will ski the Illinois River from Grafton IL to Chillicothe (about 175 miles) in one day!

We have raised nearly $75000 for the hospital over the years, and during a tour of the hospital last week we were reminded that the money is well spent.

This year's event will take place next Friday, July 27th. If any Team Talkers are interested in donating this year, PM me and I will get you an address.

willski

beatle78
07-23-2007, 09:46 PM
NICE!!!!..... how many stops do you make to ski 175 miles?

Do you ski more than 1 person per boat?

This sounds REALLY neat.... more details please.

Willski
07-24-2007, 12:52 AM
Most of time in the past we have used 3 boats. Usually about 15 people total. We try to ski 2-3 people behind each boat. This is actually one of our shorter total mile runs. We have done a 2 day run from Chicago to St. Louis, about twice the mileage, but it doubles our time and cost, and doesn't get us any more donations.

Our trip is somewhat broken up by locks and fuel stops. We do have one run that is 60 miles straight. That is a tough one. In this stretch we will have 2 locks, and 2 fuel stops. Those are really the only scheduled stops. Whoever drops in the water knows their next distance. Over the last few years, my wife and I have each skied over 100 miles in one day. Surprisingly, the only thing that bothers me is forearms.

Monte
07-24-2007, 01:12 AM
That sounds like a lot of fun. Way to go. Good way to help the kids too:) :cool:

Willski
07-24-2007, 01:15 AM
That sounds like a lot of fun. Way to go. Good way to help the kids too:) :cool:

Yep. We think that is the key to a lasting charity event. It has to be something people want to be involved with. We have had a lot of fun over the years, and have done some good.

beatle78
07-24-2007, 09:30 AM
do you use special skis?

chudson
07-24-2007, 09:46 AM
Way to go "willski" what a great thing your doing I would be love to donate, a PM coming at you!!!

Willski
07-24-2007, 09:57 AM
do you use special skis?

No. I just don't use my slalom ski. Bindings are too tight. I typically borrow one. The wide skis are nice with a little more surface area. I have used a Connely Mid SX? Nice ski. Also nice to have something without a double boot for those long runs.

beatle78
07-24-2007, 11:05 AM
WOW, that's nuts..... I love it!

pilot02
07-24-2007, 11:29 AM
For the last nine years a group of us in central IL have been skiing and taking donations for the Children's Hospital of Illinois. We have followed various formats throughout the years, but this year we will ski the Illinois River from Grafton IL to Chillicothe (about 175 miles) in one day!

We have raised nearly $75000 for the hospital over the years, and during a tour of the hospital last week we were reminded that the money is well spent.

This year's event will take place next Friday, July 27th. If any Team Talkers are interested in donating this year, PM me and I will get you an address.

willski

Awesome!
Contact Erkle at Chicago Mastercraft, I'm sure they'd be up for participation or something....

Willski
07-24-2007, 01:21 PM
Awesome!
Contact Erkle at Chicago Mastercraft, I'm sure they'd be up for participation or something....

I don't know....That is a Nautique in the picture. :cool: We have had several different boats go over the years. This year we actually are taking two Malibus and an Air Nautique. Even though we are only skiing on this trip, the v-drives are nice for the added room.

Willski
07-24-2007, 03:49 PM
Way to go "willski" what a great thing your doing I would be love to donate, a PM coming at you!!!

Thank you chudson. I will be watching the mailbox. The Hospital and Kids will appreciate it.

Willski
07-30-2007, 02:38 PM
Check it out. There is also a video of us coming in at the end if you go to the front page of pjstar.com. It says something about rollin on the river. I'll post some pics too.

http://www.pjstar.com/stories/072807/TRI_BDTK6IKM.060.php