PDA

View Full Version : Optimal wake size which crossover?

knuther
07-23-2007, 03:46 PM
i am looking at a X-9 or X-2 for a new boat.. I have researched and seen the x-7 and x-9 wake sizes at 20 and 33mph but for the life of me i can’t find the wake pictures of an 2006+ x2 at 20 and 33... any of you have them?? i just want to know what i would be dealing with and what i am after.

We will be slaloming and wakeboarding / surfing...

I also cant find pictures of a x-9 or x-2 with the tower down…

KnoxX2
07-23-2007, 03:50 PM
Welcome Knuther.

I would say if you are wakeboarding surfing and slalom I would go with the X2.

knuther
07-23-2007, 03:52 PM
from the pictures i found of the x9 and 7 i assume its very hard to get a decent wake out of them for surfing??

is the x2's wake small enough that you can hit it with some speed on a ski at 33 and not feel like your hitting the ramp like on a wakeboard??

KnoxX2
07-23-2007, 03:59 PM
Yes and no!

The X2 wake is a little bigger that an X9 at 33 but not bad.

you need to ask yourself what will you do more of ?

Also do you have a family?
the X2 has alot of room for a 20 foot boat and a ton of storage

ProTour X9
07-23-2007, 04:14 PM
He has an X2 and I got an X9 obviously we love our own boats.......theres no problem with our surf wake, better slalom wake, but i'm sure the X2s wakeboard wake is somewhat better. But what kind of performance do you prefer?

KnoxX2
07-23-2007, 04:18 PM
Thanks ProTour..........
I was hoping you would jump in on this.

I think the big question is what will he do the most of, because if he is going to slalom than I would say go with the X9 if its wakeboarding than go with the X2.

wouldn't you agree?

ProTour X9
07-23-2007, 04:22 PM
Thanks ProTour..........
I was hoping you would jump in on this.

I think the big question is what will he do the most of, because if he is going to slalom than I would say go with the X9 if its wakeboarding than go with the X2.

wouldn't you agree?

I couldn't agree more.:D

knuther
07-23-2007, 04:26 PM
no family... but married and starting a family in a few years. so size is an issue long term problem.... but that limits the amount of people i bring on said boat... I am 30 had been slaloming since i was around 5 or 6 but took a 10 year break for college / career ... took one ride behind a 190 and fell in love with it all over again..

i love the amount of room the x2 has and love the pickle fork.. it was looking like the x9 was to be the best of both worlds... but from what your saying if the wake is only slightly worse for slaloming then maybe i should re think this...

i would have 2-6 people in a boat most times... 80% of them wakeboard and 50% of them ski ... more wakeboarding with more people less skiing obviously..

i am also very impressed with the current 190 i run behind's hole shot... i assume the vdrive and weight setup on the x2 lend it to take more time to come to plane..

i am sold on having an x boat for the options of board storage and stereo and a factory bag system...

ProTour X9
07-23-2007, 04:38 PM
The X14 is more of a slalom boat and has an even yet smaller wakeboard wake...........

KnoxX2
07-23-2007, 04:42 PM
Remember that with 6 human balast tanks in your boat the wake will get bigger with the more people you have. If you get the X2 get that wake plate that has helped alot with the size of the wake.

Both boat are great and I honestly feel you would be happy with either one. Get what fits your budget and the best deal you can.

Welcome to the board and I think you will find that this is a great place to get good info and make alot of new friends.

BTW we want Pics of the new boat when you get it...................

Roonie's
07-23-2007, 04:44 PM
no family... but married and starting a family in a few years. so size is an issue long term problem.... but that limits the amount of people i bring on said boat... I am 30 had been slaloming since i was around 5 or 6 but took a 10 year break for college / career ... took one ride behind a 190 and fell in love with it all over again..

i love the amount of room the x2 has and love the pickle fork.. it was looking like the x9 was to be the best of both worlds... but from what your saying if the wake is only slightly worse for slaloming then maybe i should re think this...

i would have 2-6 people in a boat most times... 80% of them wakeboard and 50% of them ski ... more wakeboarding with more people less skiing obviously..

I was in your exact position as I too have grown up waterskiing. I love to wakeboard now though and still waterski on occasion. I find the wake fine to waterski behind unless you are a serious enthusiast who does bouy courses. True the X2 seems to take awhile to plane but the wake is not that affected by it. You still get out of the hole good. I love the room and storage and seating the X2 offers which is one of the main reasons I chose it. My next boat will be an X2 as well after this one. The room in the boat is awesome! and the wake is nice too.

mccobmd
07-23-2007, 05:16 PM
I had the same issue, I ended up with the X1 that has a good wake for all and at 33 has a wake that is larger that a direct drive but much smaller than any I/O. The X2 hull is a little different though.

knuther
07-23-2007, 05:33 PM
Yea i don't know how you can even try to compare a 190 to a x2 as far as hole shots and performance... a 190 is basically a stripped down drag racer and a x2 is more on the lines of a 4 door ferrari..

I had to drag last weekend behind a 220 select sea ray with a 260hp 5.0 and the bravo 3 with props set with a prop ratio to get that thing up to 55mph and it takes forever to plane he also was going to have 3 people in the boat turned out to be 8. i drug for 100ish yards before getting the rear foot in then had to lean back to keep on the water for another 100ish yards... went out and back 2-3 times and hit the wake and gave up on exhaustion..

anyway i am assuming the x2 will pop up on plane fast but i don't know how fast.. i assume the mcx engine helps ... i have heard that some people think the wake shaping plate only adds pressure to the boat where it might compromise the hull...

I have never been a buoy skier probably because of my upbringing... never behind anything faster than a 100hp trihull until the 190 a little over a month ago.. last ski i put in the shed was a Obrien bandit ... skiing on that / my father's green / blue world team... i started a 10 year gap a couple of weeks ago in skiing with a 2005 68" Obrien siege on an ebay overtons sale.. First pull he drug me over the ski and almost out of the boot... "not use to the power" second pull he came up slow and i nailed it .... i only lasted around 3 min though legs and arms were shaking.. "i think it's been a while"

Wakeboard took 3 times behind the 190 and i was up for 10 min until i tried my first jump and went nose in ... then i was hooked on wakeboarding... the wife never wake boarded / skied in her life got up the first time ... "damnit"

all in all i probably need to buy a boat now :-)

beatle78
07-23-2007, 09:39 PM
hmmm...... food for thought: I always expect the first boat to be a learning curve as to what I REALLY like and DON'T like about a boat.

We bought a closed bow BU. We got a good deal but knew we wanted an open bow.

We almost bought a NEW DD Wakesetter. After owning the BU for 1.5 years we NEVER ski'd behind it once.

We realized a V-drive boat is the right boat for us.

Background: I've been slalom skiing since I was 14. Tried a wakeboard when I was 20ish and have only slalom ski'd 3 times since then.

I'm HOOKEd on wakeboarding and I can't waight to add a ballast system to get an even bigger wake.

We bought what is known today as the X-1, formally known as X-2, X-Star, and Prostar 205V.

That said. I HIGHLY recommend buying used. B/c if you decide to sell in a year or 2 you will take a much bigger depreciation hit on the new boat.

...just my:twocents:

SDAhockey21
07-23-2007, 09:57 PM
I am totally bias but the X2 is a awesome boat. Before we got an X2 we never really surfed much. But as soon as we had a nice surf wake, I would say we surf almost or more than we wakeboard. Surfing is great because it isn't as punishing on the body and makes for a great time even on the roughest days, which are impossible to ski even behind a great ski boat, see where im going here?

Our two previous boats were direct drive, but now that i have expreianced a vdrive, I would never go back. More storage + more room = more enjoyment on the water.

Best way to make your choice? Test Drive!

SDAhockey21
07-23-2007, 10:02 PM
I would say I Wakeboard 60% Wakesurf 30% and Ski 10%

And about 3 Years ago It was 90% Ski 10% Wakeboard 0% Surf

SaltwaterMC
07-23-2007, 10:46 PM
Like SDA said, surfing is great for rough days when all other water sports are out of the picture. We can find a place to surf on the roughest of days when seas are 3-4 feet in the bay. Also, as mentioned above, slow speed means painless falls and a sport that is very forgiving on the body and a heck of a lot of fun. No one has ever skied behind our boat so I may be a bit of a biased source, but for the extra room a v-drive offers and excellent wake characteristics for 2 out of the 3 activities discussed above (and a decent wake for skiing) I would go with the X2.

ProTour X9
07-23-2007, 10:46 PM
yeah the X2 is a great all around boat just more geared towards wakesports, and the X9 is a great all around boat just geared towards skiing, footn, those sports

That being said, on our lake, MasterCrafts have a reputation for sharp turns, powerslides, what not, sorry #1 for bringing this up. I would not buy a boat that turns like an I/O.

Jet
07-23-2007, 10:55 PM
I would suggest an X2 with an adjustment plate, it really makes a difference on flattening the wake.

We have an X15 with the plate and we see a big difference when the plate is down.

swatguy
07-23-2007, 11:03 PM
I would aslo say that it all depends on what you willl be doing more of. Starting out with a fam..... welll I have 3yr old daughter(soon) and 6month old daughter. Both will most likely be boarding not skiing. Just the way most kiddies are these days :) As to the hole shots and such with the bigger boats....Props these days are rediculous and if you realy wanna get boats out of the water you can get pretty much anything out in a snap with weight or no weight these days with the right one and not lose any performance or minimal. The guys at Acme and Oj have really been working on the wakeprops for crossovers as it seems to be more and more Parent's still ski and kids wakeboard so need a prop that can do both well.

I think the two boats you are comparing are a world apart. The X-2 has so many different features and is setup with tons of storage and room. Aslo a way different hull design. If you plan on boarding more than you ski for sure go with X-2. Also having 6 people in the boat most of the time the V-drive makes it way more sociable and also has tons of storgae for gear. Having my two little ones on the boat just as much as my wife and I space is at a premium with toys, blankies, snacks, and diapers.

As far as the d-drive goes X-9 would serve you very well.

As far as v-drives....well there a couple more that I would put in front of the X-2 as far as "crossovers" in the V-drive versions. Not sure on if you're going brand new 08 or left over 07 or used and that is why you have it down to these two choices, or if those are just what you like the best so far, but If you are going 08 or are ordering a boat I will go ahead and say a boat that would suit you in the crossover(ski/wakeboard) would be an X1. The hull on this boat has been around for a long time is IMO the best all around performing hull out there as far as an MC V-Drive Crossover. This hull is the same as the old Prostar 205 (a d- drive version of the same hull). Ski wakes are good, wakeboard wakes are first class still arguably the best shaped out there, and surfing is ok. Storage is a little on the low side, but its a 20ft boat. Can get cramped with 6 people for sure. The X2 has way more room for being so close in size. If I was due to upgrade from my 2000 X-star(now called the X-1) I would go either X2 or X15. Which the X15 would be me next suggestions to check out. Having less of a draft than the X2 I would think the Ski wake on that would be just a touch better behind the X15 than the X2. And also getting more cockpit room in the X-15 I have no experience with the ski wakes of both of these boats, but the wakeboard wakes are both awesome. The X-15 is a lttle more rampier IMO but both are great shaped and very meaty. The X-15 is also on the same page in storage and room as the X2 offering just a tad more. Sorry for the long winded post......Guess I need to get out more, but well knee surgery on fri is gonne keep me in:mad: And I reallly love the 08's so am convincing myself by typing to get one;) Almost there. but then I have to convince the boss HHEHEHEHE:D .