PDA

View Full Version : Pursuing a slalom course

captain planet
07-23-2007, 01:42 PM
Myself along with a few others on our lake are looking to get a slalom course on the lake. We are in the beginning stages of getting our information together before presenting it at a meeting of a lake owners association. Our biggest hurdle is going to be getting approval/permission from the USACE. We have a tenative location chosen for the course which is secluded from anyone that has frontage on the lake so we won't be bothering anyone.

In some informal discussions with a few guys that are interested in going forward with this, we have talked about the following issues/questions that will be asked when we present to the association.

Location - We are looking at putting this in a secluded bay where it won't bother anyone so that shouldn't be an issue.

Course costs - The group of people that want this are looking to split the cost of the course and set it up so if you want to play, you have to pay.

Insurance - My buddy mentioned something about being able to get insurance through AWSA by becoming a member. He is looking into this.

Access to course - We are looking to make it only available to those that are members of the association who are also covered by the AWSA insurance.

One of the lakes in the area has just gotten a course in the last 2 years and we are checking into how they got permission and what they had to do to get it. We want to have our ducks in a row when we present this so I am looking to anyone else on this board that has successfully gotten this done and any hurdles you encountered in the process.

Thanks in advance for you input.

uawaterskier
07-23-2007, 01:48 PM
There use to be a course on my lake that was pay to play. I think they had a chain with a lock on it just under the gates and a floating sign telling people dont run the course. Im thinking a 1/4" chain would keep most from trying it, and the ones that still try it just made a costly mistake.

H20ski Dude
07-23-2007, 01:48 PM
I have one if you are looking for it. comes with everything expect anchors. it is an accuski, with pvc telescoping arms (not quick release)

some of the lines have been replaced. have a few buoys, but not all. I am in ontario if you want to have it shipped

shepherd
07-23-2007, 01:58 PM
There use to be a course on my lake that was pay to play. I think they had a chain with a lock on it just under the gates and a floating sign telling people dont run the course. Im thinking a 1/4" chain would keep most from trying it, and the ones that still try it just made a costly mistake.

Is that why the course isn't there anymore? It's one thing to put a slalom course on the lake without upsetting other boaters, fishermen and property owners, but to chain it off or tell people they have to pay to drive through it as well (or suffer major boat damage from an invisible chain).... seems to me you're just asking for trouble. :noface:

rodltg2
07-23-2007, 02:17 PM
i agree you cant close it off to people. if you want to keep tyhe wally's off, get a submergable course. or what you can do is remove the turn bouys so all you have showing is the boat guides. not much fun for jet skiers that way. plus it only takes minute to attach/de-attach.

captain planet
07-23-2007, 02:21 PM
We are looking to put the course in a No-Wake zone. Yea sounds crazy, but a neighboring lake did just this same thing and has it set up that only skiiers are allowed to go fast WHILE skiing the course. If your not skiing, you can't go fast.

We are looking to have stickers made to put on your boat to show you have permission to ski the course.

jkski
07-23-2007, 02:24 PM
CP,
You are already on the right track by talking to the people at Lake Milton, be sure to talk to CJ Sprague as I know he was a big part of the legal team in getting things worked out and I believe he still ski's there. From what I understand, they went as far as to dig a turn island out, which added considerably to their cost as well as their battle to get things approved.
As for protecting the course, obviously they will have the best answers for you again, however, you might also want to look into the AccuSink course. They are certainly more expensive and you need an air compressor to bring it up, however:
1) When you or any other member is not using it, it is completely out of sight under water (just be sure to get it deep enough to avoid the I/O's.
2) If no one can raise it, no one can run it, so only your members would have access.

We run one down on Lake Norman in a spot of the lake that has a small marina and restaurant on it, and it is maintained by the Lake Norman Ski Club. It has held up over the years, although you'd have to speak with the members to get the true picture of how difficult/easy it is to maintain year to year.
Good luck.

tones03
07-23-2007, 02:27 PM
The one on our lake is an honor system, if you use it they ask that you help pay for it, if you dont no biggy. Not very many people use it though, but we still give a little to the people that set it up for the couple times we do use it.

causewayskiier
07-23-2007, 02:31 PM
Yea, you can't close it off to other skiiers because it's a public waterway i.e. you don't own that piece of water. You will either have to get a submersible course or share it with the wallys, which means having to do some additional course maintenance.

uawaterskier
07-23-2007, 02:37 PM
Is that why the course isn't there anymore? It's one thing to put a slalom course on the lake without upsetting other boaters, fishermen and property owners, but to chain it off or tell people they have to pay to drive through it as well (or suffer major boat damage from an invisible chain).... seems to me you're just asking for trouble. :noface:
no I think they just got sick of people cutting the locks/chains and just took it out all together. The sign said that they would suffer boat damage so it wasn't like they were hiding it. Anyway to each his own. It just sucks because our open to the public one that the public maintained is to far gone to get back into shape.

ski36short
07-23-2007, 02:58 PM
We are looking to put the course in a No-Wake zone. Yea sounds crazy, but a neighboring lake did just this same thing and has it set up that only skiiers are allowed to go fast WHILE skiing the course. If your not skiing, you can't go fast.

That's a great concept but it doesn't work really well on Lake Cumberland. The "No Wakes" buoys by the courses down there by Grider Hill might as well not be there. However, I hope it works for your neighboring lake and for you as well. Perhaps more visible explanation would help? Something like "No Wake - Ski Area"? If that's permitted of course.

Best of luck to you!

east tx skier
07-23-2007, 03:15 PM

One of our club's course is on a public lake. There are signs posted explaining that the club has a lease from the city for the cove and course during posted hours. There are two barrels chained in the boat lanes at the 2 ball and four ball. I think a more visible barrier is the way to go.

Yea, you can't close it off to other skiiers because it's a public waterway i.e. you don't own that piece of water. You will either have to get a submersible course or share it with the wallys, which means having to do some additional course maintenance.

You can if if that part of the lake is leased to the club (at least you can here).

captain planet
07-23-2007, 03:18 PM
CP,
You are already on the right track by talking to the people at Lake Milton, be sure to talk to CJ Sprague as I know he was a big part of the legal team in getting things worked out and I believe he still ski's there. From what I understand, they went as far as to dig a turn island out, which added considerably to their cost as well as their battle to get things approved.
As for protecting the course, obviously they will have the best answers for you again, however, you might also want to look into the AccuSink course. They are certainly more expensive and you need an air compressor to bring it up, however:
1) When you or any other member is not using it, it is completely out of sight under water (just be sure to get it deep enough to avoid the I/O's.
2) If no one can raise it, no one can run it, so only your members would have access.

We run one down on Lake Norman in a spot of the lake that has a small marina and restaurant on it, and it is maintained by the Lake Norman Ski Club. It has held up over the years, although you'd have to speak with the members to get the true picture of how difficult/easy it is to maintain year to year.
Good luck.
Now that I am looking into this I see that AccuSink doesn't exist anymore? I found an old thread that the owner sold the patent and they are found used now. Wally Skier has one on their web-site that is submersible. It is designed a little differently. I like the idea of a submersible course. I am assuming that they sell 12V compressors that you can to float the course.

jkski
07-23-2007, 03:54 PM
CP,
Shoot a PM to bouychaser as he has a submersible course I believe and he can tell you the ins and outs of it. Also, he will be in town the end of August so plan to come and ski with us and you can talk face to face with him about how it works.
As far as the compressor, your probabaly right, however, from what I recall, you need a good bit of pressure to inflate the bladders and bring the course to the surface (not sure how much pressure, but bouychaser will know).
Good luck.

ProTour X9
07-23-2007, 04:17 PM
Dont they have like courses that with air pressure the buoys come to the top?

Jesus_Freak
07-24-2007, 04:12 AM
Dont they have like courses that with air pressure the buoys come to the top?

Yes, and they are called "submersible". ;)

captain planet
07-25-2007, 10:31 AM
bump.......